QRS Inc. Calendar for 2013

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Re: QRS Inc. Calendar for 2013

Postby october sky » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Good one Nic...it s my secret project .....10" and over 6 meters tall.... :lol:

I have just unpacked my "rocket ute" as I visited Morayfield State School. This display and talked turned out to be one big affair after all...

I first spoke to grade 7's ( 60 or so) about rocketry the with the usual Q/A session and DVD's. This all went well.

I was under the impression it was their science week...not really but they launched a program where rockets were the main theme....4 different colour rockets referring to 4 main points : 1) Respect others 2) Respect your self 3) Respect property and 4) Respect learning. 8)

So....with 850 students on the oval with all the staff, around 150 parents and some dignitaries....I was going to launch a rocket in front of them all...now guys..can you imagine the pressure to make sure it will fire at the first countdown... :roll:

After I made the safety announcement to all gathered through PA it was time....I must say I was nervous....but luckily all went off so well and recovery was very safe within few meters from the launch pad. There was a bit wind but not bad...later the wind started to blow real hard...here in Brisbane we call them EKKA Winds...always seems to blow in August when the Ekka is on.

So all good. The Scope shoot has been moved till 3rd of Sept.
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:27 pm

I have only just returned over one hour ago from visiting two country schools about an hour's drive west from Brisbane.

Minden State primary was first. All 120 students and the staff gathered in the library block to hear what rocketry is all about. Great group of students.

The Q/A could have gone for ever but it was time to watch a DVD and the head out to the "oval"....that's not an oval...that is small patch of ground with trees all around. For a country school this was amazing to see such a small area for sports. I can say honestly that it was around 1/4 size of the normal oval.

I was able to estimate the wind conditions and the area so the launch went perfectly and rocket landed safely within few meters from the pad ! 8)

Then pack all the gear back into the "rocket ute" and off to Rosewood State Primary which was app. 15 min. drive away.

In this school all 250 students and all the staff assembled in their hall. This was a good crowd and well behaved as usual.

I can honesty say that the noise these guys made when they saw the DVD of the OZ AREA 51 launch was incredible....it was again the wow factor and the good sound system helped a lot.

There was a huge oval in this school so launch was not a problem at all. It went perfectly.

Note to all QRS members : I really would like to see as many of you at the Logan North Library on Sat. 31st of August from 9.30am. This is the finale of the Science and Sci-Fi month and there is always a good turn up. Last year between 10am and 1pm there was 2000 + people. So we have a great opportunity to represent our club and the hobby of rocketry in general. :D

You are more than welcome to bring your rockets as long as they have a stand ! :wink:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Ironside
Is there a manual for that

Postby Ironside » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I can give you a hand with that, Ari
AMRS Level 3
QRS #65|AMRS #25

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Thank you Jeff ! I called George and he is also planning to come and help ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Ari, With the proviso that the wife doesn't come up with anything in the next week I will be there - at this stage I have the all clear. Is this the library at Springwood? Warren

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:30 pm

How could wife possibly come up with anything..... :roll:

Yeah Warren, that's the one. Entry to freeway on that road. There is the Aquatic Center there also. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

str8up

Postby str8up » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 pm

There is the Aquatic Center there also. :)

I haven't prepped my rockets for water splash-downs.

Iconia
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Iconia » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:21 pm

I've launched a few from under the water. That's alot of fun on a hot summers day.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:31 pm

This morning we were present at Logan North Library for the finale of the month long Sci-Fi & Fantasy month !

I want to thank Petar, Jeff, George and Warren for great company there and helping in loading and packing away at the end ! :D

We were located upstairs in a real nice spot and people wandered in and out from 10am till around 1pm.

It is hard to put a number of people that we actually spoke to and gave a flyer to but there were many. Nothing beats one on one as far as promoting goes. :wink:

As you guys can imagine the place was full of Sci-Fi characters....sadly as I don't follow any of them, I can't even name most. Star Wars, Lord of the Ring, Hobbit, Star Trek and so on....I actually managed to recruit ( he promised) Captain America to the launch as he was very keen on it ! :lol:

Jeff might be able to post few photos when he has a chance...they should be interesting !

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Ironside

Postby Ironside » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes, it was a very interesting day with some spectacular sci-fi outfits (and a full scale de Lorean car from 'Back to the Future' fame)
Attachments
Star Wars 1_1.jpg
Star Wars 1_1.jpg (240.49 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
Team 3_1.jpg
Rockets team with Star Wars Storm Troopers
Team 3_1.jpg (212.6 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
AMRS Level 3
QRS #65|AMRS #25

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks Jeff for posting ! :D

On Tuesday, the 3rd of September I had an opportunity to do a segment of rocketry on CH 10's SCOPE program. This is aimed especially to students and young adults and it is science based. 8)

Filming took under 4 hours and naturally all takes were done min. 3 times to 5 times.

Lets see how it turns out.... :wink:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Please let us know when it will be shown
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:54 pm

No problem David ! :)

I will also let you know about the Totally Wild segment...at the end of the day who knows how they turn out as they do all the editing... :roll:

In the SCOPE segment there could have been so much more but it had to be kept simple as possible .....that also makes sense as "overload" of info kills the interest. :wink:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 pm

I have received info from CH10 that they will air "Totally Wild" rocket segment on the Wednesday the 16th at 4pm !

I'm not sure whether this is shown Nationally on that day. Most likely it will be and please check your guide on the day if there is TW on that day, most likely it will have the episode.

CAUTION : It does worry me as they didn't contact me for any further info for the last cut... :roll:

I told them that please contact me for any further info if required. So, I pray and hope they get it fairly right....

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:53 am

DVD set to record TW on Wednesday 16th. The guide states that this is the correct episode
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”