Prefered Component Supplier

Seen something that has been extremely useful in the rocketry world? Post it here and share your sources.

Moderator: Moderators

Rex Fynns
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Prefered Component Supplier

Postby Rex Fynns » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:39 am

G'day,

I have just completed my first scratch built which went like a charm so now onto the next build.

As such I am looking for a good supplier of components, preferably a one stop shop with reasonable prices, not bothered with chasing bargains so much as being able to get what I need without to much messing about. As a novice builder I find it great when a web site has detailed explanations about their products, it helps so much with the learning curve and detailed knowledge of one product leads to the search for the next needed component quickly.

To this end I found Allrockets in Canada https://www.allrockets.ca looked like a promising supplier.

Anyone dealt with them or perhaps suggestions on somewhere better.

Thanks for your advice.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: Prefered Component Supplier

Postby kopius » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:35 pm

How about Australian Rocketry, the same guys that provide this free forum service? As an Australian supplier and manufacturer, we have less expensive freight and carry the largest range of products in the southern hemisphere
https://ausrocketry.com.au
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Rex Fynns
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rex Fynns » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:14 pm

G'day Blake,

Well of course Australian Rocketry would be my natural first choice for sure, however the stocks and range are somewhat limited, I guess it is difficult to hold a large inventory of products with such a small Australian market, it can't be easy.

On another thread over in Scratch Built I lamented the fact that engine componentry purchasing is problematic to which you weighed in on suggesting I email to Aus. Rockets to see what can be done, so on the 21st I did just that, by the 26th with no response back I prompted a query on the same thread to see if you received the email, no response as yet to that either.

Back a few months ago we spoke on the phone regarding motors and you were going to call me back as you were pretty busy, you didn't so weeks later I followed up with a call to which IIRC you were going to get back to me again but alas I guess I slipped off the radar again.

Anyways, I'm happy to buy if Aus Rockets is happy to sell, in the mean time I will try and source from whoever can supply, preferably a one stop shop with good product support and information.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Mick, what range are you seeking which has "limited" stock?

as previously discussed, "engine componentry" is not actually problematic. A response has recently been sent to you, although I must admit it took a little longer to think about a response regarding you making your own motors which as highlighted is illegal without the correct licenses.

As mentioned in the email and previous follow up emails, we could never get through to your phone? Perhaps you are in a bad reception area, however we never received a response to the emails so stopped trying to call.

Looks like this is a simple communication error and whilst you could have simply placed an order online, if you need something specific that isn't listed, I don't recall receiving a request.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Duck Lucker
Born to do it!
Born to do it!

Postby Duck Lucker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 pm

I’m in New Zealand and have been using Australian Rocketry for several years now. Bought a range of things from A to O class motors to rocket kits and components.
Because of the exchange rate, it’s the obvious choice for me, and the freight is cheaper and faster than anything in my home land!
Just finishing up a PML BBX now and starting a loc v2 which is the latest stuff I’ve bought. And some motors for this years flying season on their recent order from the factory.
NZRA L3 #20090806
AMRS AIM114

NZRA Secretary
ACE Member

Total Impulse in Australia ever,
14,903ns

Rex Fynns
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rex Fynns » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:58 am

G'day Kopius,

The sort of items I am after are centered around novice scratch building projects of minimum diameter,

Some of the items listed below I have had to make myself due lack of local supply, I don't mind but it does slow the process somewhat.

High performance composite airframes either in CRP or FRP.
Fin mounting guide
GPS tracking systems
Deployment avionics in MD and <$100
VK profile nose cones in MD
Elastic shock cord
Small nylon parachutes (not in Camo though)
Estes style igniters
MD avionics bay/pods

Motors

making your own motors which as highlighted is illegal without the correct licenses.

Only in so far as a traditional rocket motor using a burning propellant. It is not illegal to build internal combustion engines utilizing available fuel sources typically liquid fuels, think more along the lines of NACA ducted inlet feeding a jet.

Having previously thought it would not be possible to obtain anything worthwhile in the way of motors I haven't worried about them to much. You have now given me a ray of hope that perhaps it is possible to purchase motors, (there are still a few ?? on this though).

However as requested I sent an email to you back on the 21st, two weeks ago, and I am still as yet to be given a price on a single F70 kit with freight. This is problematic.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 am

Looking at your list it seems you are after some high end components for next to nothing.

As for the tubes and find guides, these are all custom items that Australian Rocketry makes.

With regards to elastic shock cord and estes igniters... YUCK! There, I said it... There is a range of igniters and e-matches that are far better quality. Elastic is not ideal, but can often just be sourced from a fabrics/crafts store.

Maybe I am confused with the motors you said you were making, so if that is the case, please feel free to post photos and info on your 24mm liquid fuel motors.

I just re-read your email and again, all of the prices of motors etc. are available online. An estimated freight price has been emailed to you, but cant be confirmed until you confirm what you are after?
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Oldboy
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Oldboy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Rex, are the penguins in Antarctica able to assist with the logistic problems you have?
The liquid fuel motors you talk about in 24 mm would be great to see.
WARS 005 AMRS 98
L1

Rex Fynns
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rex Fynns » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 pm

OB,

Rex, are the penguins in Antarctica able to assist with the logistic problems you have?

NFI, the question is far to esoteric for me to decipher.

The liquid fuel motors you talk about in 24 mm would be great to see.

I didn't mention 24mm, someone else did, what I am working on is 29mm for my next build, I can imagine there is considerable interest in this line of development. If I pull this off it is patentable, so I am not about to give to much away, having said that nothing in it hasn't been discussed before and some of the conceptual design dates back to the late 40's, and refined in the SR71. Whether I have got the tenacity to see it through is questionable and if I fall short I will pass what I have done onto others.

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 am

Hi Rex, regarding fin guides - Apogee Components make/sell one, its made from plywood and is probably easy enough to replicate. I made my fin guide from a few lengths of aluminium angle and some "f" clamps.
caveat emptor

Oldboy
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Oldboy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:35 pm

In reply to the "Penguins assisting".
From reading one of your previous posts regarding freight and shipping prices , I surmised you must you must have been in some far flung territory some where. Possibly not inhabiting at this time on the big island of OZ.
So possibly the use of "Courier Penguins" and upon rereading my previous post I see that I seemed to omit the word courier.
Why not Hybrids then ?
Tested, proven and available
WARS 005 AMRS 98
L1

Rex Fynns
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rex Fynns » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks Lorstin,

I have a basic home made fin guide setup but the commercial ones look pretty trick + versatile, I am about to put an order in for components in the next couple of days and it's on the list.

OB,

Ok I'm on the page now.

The prices quoted by Aus Rockets for non DG items are par for course but as soon as it becomes a DG item the price for freight as listed by Aus Rockets is $80.00 regardless of quantity. However I am informed the $80 quoted for DG items is somewhat arbitrary and inaccurate and I have been invited to submit an email with a specific DG shopping list. Right now I expect the mass of I's and O's are organizing themselves into the correct format for the return response, this is no small feat, and takes some amount careful arrangement, very soon a response might arrive after all it's only been 21 days.

Back over on the Scratch Built forum I posted up my first basic scratch built that flew very well but the standard engine deployment of the E9-6 appeared to early. I mentioned my next build would be with my own motor and as such hybrids are on the menu. Unfortunately trying to purchase conventional motors appears to be too problematic so I am not relying on them.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am

Rex Fynns wrote:The prices quoted by Aus Rockets for non DG items are par for course but as soon as it becomes a DG item the price for freight as listed by Aus Rockets is $80.00 regardless of quantity. However I am informed the $80 quoted for DG items is somewhat arbitrary and inaccurate and I have been invited to submit an email with a specific DG shopping list. Right now I expect the mass of I's and O's are organizing themselves into the correct format for the return response, this is no small feat, and takes some amount careful arrangement, very soon a response might arrive after all it's only been 21 days.

Come on Mick, the prices for products have always been available online and you have been given revised freight quotes now on more than one occasion. The DG rates (specifically for LPR/MPR) are being renegotiated and this is still case by case.

Rex Fynns wrote:Back over on the Scratch Built forum I posted up my first basic scratch built that flew very well but the standard engine deployment of the E9-6 appeared to early. I mentioned my next build would be with my own motor and as such hybrids are on the menu. Unfortunately trying to purchase conventional motors appears to be too problematic so I am not relying on them.

As per above, you have been given options to buy commercial motors on multiple occasions.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks for your order Mick, an email has been sent to clarify one of the parts you requested and a relating component. Please get back to us ASAP so we can finalise and ship your order.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:10 am

Glad to hear your shipment arrived in good order and you now have commercial and legal motors to use. Happy flying!
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Return to “I could use that”