Rotary Tool on Special at Hobby King

Seen something that has been extremely useful in the rocketry world? Post it here and share your sources.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Rotary Tool on Special at Hobby King

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:49 am

Not sure how the quality stacks up against a Dremel, but the price is right!
hk170-230.jpg
hk170-230.jpg (44.72 KiB) Viewed 173 times

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/160w-dremel ... -230v.html

I have usually had no problems with HK stuff in the past. I would buy one but I just bought a Dremel before this special came up.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

ogivemeahome
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Rotary Tool on Special at Hobby King

Postby ogivemeahome » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Got one. (The postage was the same price as the article + had to change the plug so the real price is more like $40.)
Had it running - it works - but haven't done any cutting yet.
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. (English Proverb)

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:29 pm

So I considered pulling the trigger on this as my dremel died a few weeks ago. But when Ogivemeahome posted that shipping brought the total up to $40 I ended up going to Bunnings and grabbing a $69 Ozito kit as it appears to be the exact same unit but with heaps more attachments and a 3 year warranty from my local Bunnings.

This guy.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-170w-rotary-tool-kit_p6290648

Excuse my french but it's F*N rubbish. I attempted to use it along with the included reinforced cutting wheels to cut through some relatively thin FG sheet as well as to clean off the ends on a 29mm CF airframe I've recently rolled. I burned through 4 before i finished cutting our 4 sleds and two airframe ends.

As per usual, you get what you pay for. :/ I plan on taking the Ozito back tomorrow and giving them an extra $26 to land this Dremel 3000 kit.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dremel-3000-1-26-130w-corded-rotary-tool-with-26-piece-accessory-kit_p6280041
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Late in December I picked up one of these:
dremel.png
dremel.png (103.31 KiB) Viewed 90 times

Dremel 4000 with 50 piece kit.

I don't think I paid anywhere near the $248 that some people are charging. It think it was around $150.

It will be interesting to see how the Dremel flex drive shaft stands up to my use. I had a cheapie from eBay that didn't last very long. I use it in the lathe as a toolpost grinder.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

ogivemeahome
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby ogivemeahome » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 am

Had something similar a long time ago that died. The problem was the speed control. When you dialled down the speed, you also dialled down the power. Using a larger diam. cutter requires a lower speed but MORE power. You'd find the wheel would stall frequently (probably making the motor overheat and drop windings?). The more expensive units have PWM for motor control (lower speed with full power). I'll be using my cheapie with small diam. cutters at full speed - maybe it lasts long enough to pay for itself?
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. (English Proverb)

RainierWolfcastle
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: RE: Re: Rotary Tool on Special at Hobby King

Postby RainierWolfcastle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 pm

OverTheTop wrote:Late in December I picked up one of these:
dremel.png

Dremel 4000 with 50 piece kit.

I don't think I paid anywhere near the $248 that some people are charging. It think it was around $150.

It will be interesting to see how the Dremel flex drive shaft stands up to my use. I had a cheapie from eBay that didn't last very long. I use it in the lathe as a toolpost grinder.
We use them at work, the extension seems to last well and the rpm control is a lot better than the cheaper models if you're doing large cuts.
- Ben

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Return to “I could use that”