HobbyKing Mini 3-Axis CNC Milling Machine

Seen something that has been extremely useful in the rocketry world? Post it here and share your sources.

Moderator: Moderators

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

HobbyKing Mini 3-Axis CNC Milling Machine

Postby Wingnut » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:49 am

Hi everyone,

HobbyKing is selling a small CNC router made from 8020 extrusions and an Arduino as the processor. I can't tell if the package includes the Arduino board; but I don't think so. Cost is AUD$196.00 from the HobbyKing "Global" warehouse and I think shipping free.

183711.jpg
    183711.jpg (41.31 KiB) Viewed 683 times

Does anyone out there who is experienced with CNC routers have any thoughts on whether this little unit looks to be any good? Do you think it would be simply enough to upgrade the capacity with some addition/larger lengths of 8020 extrusions and rails?

Bye,
Mike

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: HobbyKing Mini 3-Axis CNC Milling Machine

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:32 am

Not an expert but you’d need to upgrade the rods and screws as well and then tweak the software. Then you’d loose some strength in the structure resulting in less accuracy (which isn’t ver good to start with). It looks to me that it would work for cutting fins and CRs out of fibreglass / cabonfibre.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks for the advice Mat.

A little research has revealed that there are much more suitable CNC routers available. For example banggood.com has a unit of similar construction but with a larger work area of 340x160x40mm. The current price is AUD$236.18, which is 43% off the regular price (AUD$415.76).

3018 3 Axis Mini DIY CNC Router.jpg
    3018 3 Axis Mini DIY CNC Router.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 655 times

Here is a link:

I'm look at CNC routers to make fins, centring rings, bulkplates, fin alignment jigs, cutting jigs, etc. Some mechanisation would make cutting these parts quicker, easier and more accurate than my current RAG approach. The CNC routers available from BangGood would easily cope with MDF for jigs but might struggle on fins and rings, which are G-10 fibreglass and carbon fibre to 5-6mm. Any thoughts, suggestions or just comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bye,
Mike

matthew
Cairns...no where near that
Cairns...no where near that

Postby matthew » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Re: the first one you posted.

I just made a control board for one at uni. We used a Freedom K22F mcu for the brains. I think the HK one uses an Arduino UNO.

Range of motion for the head was ~150mm x 100mm x 40mm, iirc. You'll get less working room when you try to clamp down the work piece.
200 full steps/rev, 50 full steps/mm.

We used them to engrave acrylic. They were reasonably powerful for what we were doing. There aren't any end-of-travel sensors, so I presume the setup would include setting an origin and expected work area.

Summary: basic machine in the cheap and cheerful department. Probably not going to give you the work area you might want. No comment on the control board and software delivered in the package as have not seen or used them.
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

Return to “I could use that”