Lenovo Tab M8 HD

Seen something that has been extremely useful in the rocketry world? Post it here and share your sources.

Moderator: Moderators

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Lenovo Tab M8 HD

Postby drew » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:23 pm

I thought it might be worth mentioning that the Lenovo Tab M8 HD (8" display Android tablet) is currently $141 at Officeworks.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/lenovo-tab-m8-hd-8-2gb-ram-32gb-emmc-tablet-iron-grey-len0036au

It has a GPS chipset as well as MicroUSB which I prefer over USB-C in this specific use case. I say that because USB-C routinely falls out/disconnects from my phone when I use it for AltusMetrum telemetry whereas a MicroUSB OTG cable has a small amount of positive retention so it tends to stay connected better. It comes with Android 9 but is upgradable to Android 10. AltOS installs just fine via the Google Play store. I've not connected a teledongle yet but I have got GPS lock on it to confirm GPS works so my expectation is that it'll work just fine.

Moving forward I plan on using this for tracking/recovery for all my Altus Metrum GPS products. It costs a fraction of the price of most phones, has a bigger screen, and ample space to store maps. And it sure as heck beats lugging a laptop through paddocks tracking a landed rocket.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

Return to “I could use that”