Another Epoxy

Seen something that has been extremely useful in the rocketry world? Post it here and share your sources.

Moderator: Moderators

guy97
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Another Epoxy

Postby guy97 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:21 pm

I was looking up some glues today and I came across this http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=756&zenid=2e33ac53f70393ae728c76bc058bfec5 Its called Epox-E-Glue and it has a viscosity of 450,000 mPas. Thats thicker than peanut butter acording to wikipedia. Just wanted to put it out there. Has anybody used and had ok reults or is a stay away product?

Regards,
Mathew
QRS #106

Passaretti
Mars...........................✓ N5800.........................✓ Next Mission ... ###,###
Mars...........................✓ N5800.........................✓ Next Mission ... ###,###

Re: Another Epoxy

Postby Passaretti » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi Mathew,

I have never used this product, but I would certainly experiment with it for applications like fillets. If you feel like experimenting, I would say go for it - you might learn something. One thing you might want to consider is "sand-ability." If this stuff dries as hard as rocks ... it will be difficult to put the finishing touches on the surface.

What kind of epoxy are you using for your build? With a little bit of technique, I've been able able to get decent fillets using most hobby epoxies (no filler). This might be the less costly route.

Good luck.

Mike
Mike Passaretti, TRA 5369

guy97
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby guy97 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:19 pm

At the moment I use just a normal epoxy from a $2 shop. I think I will use Epiglue the this build but maybe I will try this later. Only because I know that Epiglue works well.

Regards,
Mathew
QRS #106

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:23 pm

guy97 wrote:Only because I know that Epiglue works well.

Understatement! EPIGLUE IS THE BOMB!! ;-)

On top of what Passa said, glues/epoxy that are too hard can often be brittle under harsh conditions. I am sure there is a number of flyers that tell you how they have used something like JB-Weld for fillets only to see it shatter on landings or crack fins as they have no give at all. Don't get me wrong, these have their places and I am an avid user of JB Weld for retainers and heat sensitive areas etc. however just something to be mindful of.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:34 pm

I get these which are pretty good, excellent value for money compared with araldite and the like, and probably also cheaper than the $2 shop tubes of epoxy when you consider volume.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _9_oz.html

They do 5, 15, 20 & 30 min versions.
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:07 pm

On top of what Passa said, glues/epoxy that are too hard can often be brittle under harsh conditions. I am sure there is a number of flyers that tell you how they have used something like JB-Weld for fillets only to see it shatter on landings or crack fins as they have no give at all. Don't get me wrong, these have their places and I am an avid user of JB Weld for retainers and heat sensitive areas etc. however just something to be mindful of.

Yes indeed! I've certainly been a victim of that with JB weld and more regular 5min epoxy. Good advice!

They do 5, 15, 20 & 30 min versions.

That's good to know - ta.

TP
ERG #02

Lunar_Rendezvous
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Lunar_Rendezvous » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:31 pm

I mainly use super strength araldite mixed with micro balloons for fillets, I try to avoid the faster set epoxies as they tend to set a little harder and are more brittle, they also have less tolerance to heat. Though I'm always on the lookout for new products and when I'm out of araldite I'll give that epi-glue a try, getting tired of paying through the nose for araldite too.

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:49 pm

mainly use super strength araldite mixed with micro balloons for fillets, I try to avoid the faster set epoxies as they tend to set a little harder and are more brittle, they also have less tolerance to heat. Though I'm always on the lookout for new products and when I'm out of araldite I'll give that epi-glue a try, getting tired of paying through the nose for araldite too.

As the great Mike Limpus used to say when he picked up that famous dual syringe: "Ahhh... Araldities... Goddess of adhesion" :)

TP
ERG #02

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Lunar_Rendezvous wrote:I mainly use super strength araldite mixed with micro balloons for fillets

I second that, ever since the guys here put me onto the micro balloons I use them all the time too. Nice and easy to sand, and you can mix up the consistency you need for a specific job.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

PK

Postby PK » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 pm

rocket_troy wrote:As the great Mike Limpus used to say when he picked up that famous dual syringe: "Ahhh... Araldities... Goddess of adhesion" :)

Hard to do it justice given there's no [FNQ/] forum tag.

Do you realize that there are teenagers on this forum who weren't born the first time we heard Mike say that?
I still use the "eat the crutch out of a maggoty fox" line....
He certainly was the king of the quirky one liners!
and a top bloke to boot.
PK

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:28 am

Anybody got a good source of Epi-Glue? Sounds like it is worth using.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:41 am

I am sticking (get the pun) to Araldite ... Would love to test the 2 against eachother as I have NEVER found a better tacking glue. Yes its a tad expensive but I hardly use it and a bottle lasts a long time.

Thanks

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 am

OverTheTop wrote:Anybody got a good source of Epi-Glue?
Hi Stewart,

I've only used Epi-glue, find it great to work with and super strong, it does great fillets. Blake hasn't even been able to break it....

I get mine from Bias Boating stores as they have varying sizes;

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-762-international-epiglue.aspx

BCF also carry the smaller containers.

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks guys. I'll try BCF, or maybe my local boating shop.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Another vote here for Epiglue, coming from an ex-Araldite fan.

Epiglue holds form, and appears a lot easier to work with than Araldite.
L3

Return to “I could use that”