2k 2 pack in a can

Seen something that has been extremely useful in the rocketry world? Post it here and share your sources.

Moderator: Moderators

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

2k 2 pack in a can

Postby drew » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Firstly, I need to get this out of the way. Every time I think of 2 Pack paint I can't help but think of 2Pac which invariably brings me to Rick Ross. I know, us Yanks can be a weird lot, but what can you do.

2Pac back (or in my head, "2 Pack")

Now, onto more serious endeavors. As many of you are aware at THUNDA I obliterated my rattle can paint job on my 75er mk. II rocket. Photos can be found here.

https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4901&p=57580#p57545

What I've found is that once your vehicle starts approaching Mach 2 rattle can paint starts to soften and above Mach 2 it starts peeling and clumping. So ever since 2015 I've been thinking about investing in an automotive 2 pack spray setup. That said it's no easy task from both a financial, technical, or preservation of health perspective so I've never started down the path seriously.

Well earlier this week I had a bit of a shakubuku moment. I never realised that you could source 2k 2 Pack paints in cans now! Sure, you'll spend ~$50aud for a clear coat can instead of $8-$10, but for a high quality hard finish I suspect these products will be wholly superior to standard rattle can paints or gloss coats. I've already found a local supplier for gloss coat cans and I'm enquiring regarding getting some base colors (white, orange, red).

I'll keep you all updated with my progress when I actually make some progress. That said I felt it worthwhile to go ahead and post this information to see if any of you have any experience or comments with can based 2k 2 pack spray paints.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: 2k 2 pack in a can

Postby Happy Heyoka » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 pm

I've had some good results with the 2 part Dulux Duramax clear coat ($26 for a small 125g can from Bunnings).

It sets good and hard, and when it works, it works really well. Down side of course is that once you pull the pin (on the base of the can) you've got just a day or so to use it.

Another downside is that it appears to be a little bit fussy in the chemical compatibility department; had some mixed results there - one paint job I pretty much class as a failure (ie: did not harden properly) on a metallic base (although it was cold and I hurried it - quite possible I did not allow that metallic paint to go off completely before the Duramax clear coat)

Also bit fussy about application temperature and hardening time.
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Cheers for the response Happy. I did see that Bunnings does have that Dulux offering but I've never had a really good experience with Dulux paints. Plus Montana Colors is the paint I normally use (MTN 94 to be specific) and I'm hoping their 2 pack offering will work with the MTN 94 range. That would be the best of both worlds for me as MTN 94 has pretty much every color of paint imaginable (189 colors at last check). Also, I'll have to check, but I think my can is a 300-400ml can. I'll confirm, but if that's the case the Dulux clear is actually more expensive?!? (I never thought I'd write that sentence!)
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Happy Heyoka wrote:I've had some good results with the 2 part Dulux Duramax clear coat ($26 for a small 125g can from Bunnings).

It sets good and hard, and when it works, it works really well. Down side of course is that once you pull the pin (on the base of the can) you've got just a day or so to use it.

Another downside is that it appears to be a little bit fussy in the chemical compatibility department; had some mixed results there - one paint job I pretty much class as a failure (ie: did not harden properly) on a metallic base (although it was cold and I hurried it - quite possible I did not allow that metallic paint to go off completely before the Duramax clear coat)

Also bit fussy about application temperature and hardening time.

What paints do you normally use and work well with the clear coat?
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Happy Heyoka » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:22 pm

SpaceManMat wrote:What paints do you normally use and work well with the clear coat?

I'm quite taken with the White Knight flouro colours - the Endeavour (orange - I love this colour for recovery) has flown half a dozen times with out a chip anywhere except right on the tip of the nose (which I did on concrete in the shed :oops: ) and has done a couple of lithobraking manoeuvres without paint off anywhere
DSCN1366_small.jpg

the Leviathan (yellow) it was a cheapy I got on the spur of the moment so the actual surface preparation not so great and the tail end of a can of day old Duramax, but it has lasted well... at least ten flights, maybe more...
DSCN2295_v2.JPG
DSCN2295_v2.JPG (217.58 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

colour is great except when the Serp farmer decides to grow canola.

Just normal undercoat and decent drying times apparently makes the difference.
It was a White Knight metallic gold that failed with the Duramax top coat - but as I said, I suspect it still hadn't gone off properly.

I'll note that neither of those is supersonic but I have a 38mm MD that will be and I plan to use the flouro orange for that one too - we'll see if the Duramax peels or not...
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Just a quick FYI, I can confirm the 2 pack can I picked up is $50aud for 400ml. Here's a link to the product.

http://www.thebutchershop.com.au/shop_online/art_supplies/aerosol_paints/mtn/clear_varnish/mtn_-_2k_varnish/

FYI there are both matte and gloss clear coats available.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Both need to be used straight away, so question is how many rockets (and their size) can you get done with each?

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Well, 12 hours, but I get your point. I plan on clear coating at least 4 rockets in one go. It's funny, I'm actually wondering if I'll need a second can. Another value add of 2 pack is the quick dry and reapply times. 60 minutes between coats from how I understand it. If I have any excess I'll just do a second coat of clear.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Kelstra
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Kelstra » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi guys. I'm in the sandblasting and coatings industry as a NACE coatings inspector. You have mentioned 2 pack (in a can) having compatibility issues going over metallic paint ( in a maybe dodgy environment) . This happens with all paints if the humidity/ dew point/ surface temps / surface (preparation) are not ideal when application takes place. 2 packs have a certain pot/ shelf life when the part A (Paint) part B (Hardener) are mixed. I will ask our Dulux rep about the product and get some feedback to you about it. BTW single pack paints will "fry" if you put 2 pack on top of them,(epoxy vs acrylic vs eurathane ) Cheers Ned :D

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi all,

I thought I'd provide a quick update to the thread. I used the 2 pack in a can system to clear coat my 29mm CF bird on the Wednesday afternoon before WWW2018. It was a bit of a rush job; I'd only painted the nose cone on the weekend before with MTN 94 Vivid Red. I wanted to give the underlying paint coat a few days to harden before hitting it with the gloss. Ideally I would have sprayed it on Thursday as I had the day off but the forecast was for rain all day; hence the rush job after work on Wednesday afternoon. A few comments in no necessary order.

1) The nozzle that comes with the can is WAY too big for my use case.
2) Given the above point combined with my rushed requirements I oversprayed the sh*t out of my rockets.
3) The MTN 94 paint system is fully compatable with the 2 pack gloss coat. Both my NC for the 29mm bird as well as my 54mm MD bird (flown at Williams last year) had MTN 94 Vivid Red paint on them and I gloss coated both. The two systems worked perfectly together and appear fully compatible.
4) The 2 pack gloss hardens very quickly. I could lightly touch it without issue a couple hours after spraying. A day later it was hard as a rock.
5) Moving forward, I need to use smaller nozzles for spraying to not overspray.
6) I could probably do 2-3 54mm MD rockets per can if I use a better nozzle and don't overspray.

Here's a link to a photo of the 29mm bird before flight. I provided the link as you can zoom on it to get a better view of the quality of the clear coat. You can clearly see pooling from overspray on the base of the NC as well as the base of the airframe.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNV2qockXda7sfFKUxlZivbhhwSgzdkxtrxpU-2

To be honest I couldn't be happier with the results of this system (excluding overspray issues which reside with me). Given this I plan on using 2 pack for more projects.

Finally, over the weekend someone mentioned to me that you can now get 2 pack in a can mixed for you; IE you choose the color you want from a 2 pack system and it's put into a rattle can for you for use. Ideally I'd like to move to this as it would be both color and gloss in a single spray can. Sadly I can't recall who I had that discussion with or what shop provides this service. Any help?
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks for that Drew. Your link is busted BTW.

How hard is it to get dirrerent nozzles for cans?

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm

Not sure if there's a standard fit for rattle cans, but Bunnings has a pack of different size/pattern nozzles:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-duram ... s_p1400748
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Heh, as per usual Bunnings comes through with average products at a premium price! Here's the MTN nozzle range; they cost $0.50 per.

http://www.thebutchershop.com.au/shop_online/art_supplies/aerosol_paints/nozzles/mtn_caps/

And here's the full nozzle range.

http://www.thebutchershop.com.au/shop_online/art_supplies/aerosol_paints/nozzles/
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Hah! There's more precision in Graffiti than I thought!
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

Return to “I could use that”