highest flight

Discussions on high/extreme altitude and mach busting rockets.

Moderator: Moderators

TRFfan2
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 am

highest flight

Postby TRFfan2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:09 am

Has anyone ever got a record with a certain motor size that is the limit to how high that motor can go? A lot of the altitude records online look like they can be improved on but i was wondering if there was one record flight that cannot be beaten (like best fin shape and size, nose cone length, etc.).

chrisn
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:45 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: highest flight

Postby chrisn » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:04 pm

all records can be beaten. after designing the most efficient rocket and launching under the most ideal conditions, the easiest way that comes to mind would be from using a launch site higher elevation above sea level than the previous record which would be a difficult task in itself, that also raises other potential issues that we will ignore for now. Black rock desert, 4000ft. Westmar if I recall is not even close to that

User avatar
Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:23 pm
Location: Ipswich, QLD

Re: highest flight

Postby Digit » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Westmar's elevation is 825 feet FYI.
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Perth

Re: highest flight

Postby drew » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:50 pm

TRFfan2 wrote:Has anyone ever got a record with a certain motor size that is the limit to how high that motor can go? A lot of the altitude records online look like they can be improved on but i was wondering if there was one record flight that cannot be beaten (like best fin shape and size, nose cone length, etc.).


There's a joke in here around "optimize this" and N5800s but I'm not sure I know how to word it.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

User avatar
CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Contact:

Re: highest flight

Postby CATO » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:32 pm

drew wrote:There's a joke in here around "optimize this" and N5800s but I'm not sure I know how to word it.

https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4488
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3

Impulse:
2017: 00,000 Ns (00.00% A)
Ns 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

User avatar
kopius
Elle3
Elle3
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland
Contact:

Re: highest flight

Postby kopius » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Don't Debate This!! Hahaha (inside joke)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

User avatar
Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:23 pm
Location: Ipswich, QLD

Re: highest flight

Postby Digit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Why does the 'optimise this' thread just end like that?! It's like tearing the back quarter off a novel before reading it lol.

Did it ever fly?
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

TRFfan2
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 am

Re: highest flight

Postby TRFfan2 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 am

chrisn wrote:all records can be beaten. after designing the most efficient rocket and launching under the most ideal conditions, the easiest way that comes to mind would be from using a launch site higher elevation above sea level than the previous record which would be a difficult task in itself, that also raises other potential issues that we will ignore for now. Black rock desert, 4000ft. Westmar if I recall is not even close to that
But what i was implying is there any record out there that would be extremely hard to beat if you flew from the same altitude that they did. Like for example the tripoli g altitude record would be easy to beat (its only at 8700 ft) but the H altitude record would not be easy (at 14800 ft).

User avatar
SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 1713
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:56 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: highest flight

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:18 am

Digit wrote:Why does the 'optimise this' thread just end like that?! It's like tearing the back quarter off a novel before reading it lol.

Did it ever fly?


No we would have heard about it. I believe Mike got a new job and hasn't been able to get back to it.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Perth

Re: highest flight

Postby drew » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am

TRFfan2 wrote:
chrisn wrote:all records can be beaten. after designing the most efficient rocket and launching under the most ideal conditions, the easiest way that comes to mind would be from using a launch site higher elevation above sea level than the previous record which would be a difficult task in itself, that also raises other potential issues that we will ignore for now. Black rock desert, 4000ft. Westmar if I recall is not even close to that
But what i was implying is there any record out there that would be extremely hard to beat if you flew from the same altitude that they did. Like for example the tripoli g altitude record would be easy to beat (its only at 8700 ft) but the H altitude record would not be easy (at 14800 ft).


If I were you I'd focus less on records and more on people. Nic Lottering and Curt von Delius are the two names that spring to mind. That said Nic is amazing at documenting his builds and Curt is well known for not "pulling back the curtains" so to speak. So have a look at what Nic has done with his minimum diameter builds on this forum; he's the best person I know in the hobby for eeking every bit of altitude out of a motor/airframe combination.

Also I'd recommend listening to people more experienced in these types of flights if they're telling you your rocket most likely won't be stable. Many a US university student have designed minimum diameter N5800 "capable" rockets that were never capable of surviving the boost of that motor as their stability margin was too tight. I've even fallen victim to this when attempting to fly an I59 in a 38mm minimum diameter airframe. Just because OpenRocket/RASAero/Rocksim state that your minimum diameter N5800 will crack just over 100k ft doesn't make it real. There's a reason why it's called a rocket simulator. Just keep that in mind, especially if someone has just successfully flown that motor. The last thing anyone wants to hear after successfully executing a high performance flight is some wanker stating they'd love to see someone make that flight on an "optimized" airframe as they'd easily squeeze another 20-30k ft out of the motor.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 1942
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:06 am
Location: Sydney

Re: highest flight

Postby Kryten » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Exactly!
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)


Return to “Higher, Faster, Further”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest