Mach Speed Club

Discussions on high/extreme altitude and mach busting rockets.

Moderator: Moderators

The Wombat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby The Wombat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:10 pm

Hmm, Maybe......what would be the motor designation for a Zuni?
My guess would be O8000T.
TRA #11586

Well wadda y'know.... it IS rocket science!

Tarpazium
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Tarpazium » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:17 pm

~RR~ wrote:Dates??? maybe, I'll have some time off....

ASRI normally launch twice a year. It's normally the October long weekend and at either Easter or the Queens birthday long weekend depending on what time of year Easter is.

Tarp
“Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.”

[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/tarpazium/jz1afQl.gif[/IMG]

The Wombat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby The Wombat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:15 am

Hmm, I hope it's the QB weekend. I'll be doing my L2 over Easter.
TRA #11586

Well wadda y'know.... it IS rocket science!

Avachovy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Avachovy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:25 pm

this south aust stuff intrigues me.....
Will fly beer for rockets

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:58 pm

I'm thinking I'm going to be there :)

Krusty

Croweater
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Croweater » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:19 pm

After just joining your forum I thought I might have ago at this forum thingy and see I could work it, by answering some questions I might have the answers to.

Firstly
Tarp wrote
After several minutes the veteran ASRI members, who by now had regained their composure

Your enthusiasm in rocketry is truely visible and your ability to laugh at yourself an asset. Keep it up.

Tarp wrote more
ASRI normally launch twice a year. It's normally the October long weekend and at either Easter or the Queens birthday long weekend depending on what time of year Easter is.

ASRI 2009 launches are looking at June SA long weekend and always Oct long weekends for Uni student thesis completion. The June launch will be ASRI members only closed campaign for ASRI item engineering trials. Items of the campaign are not confirmed as yet. You will have to be a financial member to attend and plenty of fornotice to the SSRP campaign manager to get your name on the list.

ASRI members get out of it what you put in. It is like a club where you do your own project or join someone else and combine your ideas and knowledge, such as AUSROC 2.5. For example You may think that the SSRP may need a UAV to locate things and you might like to give it ago. Suggest your idea to the others see who else is interested and give it ago, it can be incorporated and trialled when ready. As activities happen at Woomera, documents are the biggy so procedures and safety are utmost as it must be considered a work place environment. This explains the canary suits worn by crew.

Well thats my first go at joining in, cheers.[/quote]
Last edited by Croweater on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wimma
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby wimma » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:16 am

Wow that's pretty cool :) Did you get Mach 1.38 on a commercial motor?

What software/hardware do you use to obtain these data?
"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

YouWiki

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:19 am

I've just picked up an Apogee 'Aspire' that according to the spec, it will do Mach 1.16 on a G80!!

So, I've ordered a G80 with the current Aerotech order ;)

The Aspire is just under 2' long, 29mm minimum diameter. It comes with a mylar streamer for 'recovery'

The G80 should push it to around 4,000 feet.... I'm thinking that even with the mylar streamer, a 2 foot rocket at 4,000 feet is going to be a challenge to find ;)

Well, I may only ever get to fly it once, but boy, it's going to be one hell of a flight!!

Krusty

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:39 am

Paint the rocket in highly reflective/mirror paint. You may be able to catch a few sun reflections to help pinpoint it in the sky. Sounds like a great rocket though.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

Avachovy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Avachovy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:35 am

they are a great looking rocket!

I built one and used a LMS G77 redline in it. The rocket held up to the boost, but the motor burned through around 90% through the burn, pressurizing the body tube and ejecting the nose cone at mach 1 :lol:

it broke
Will fly beer for rockets

bgenn
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bgenn » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:03 pm

I've got an Aspire sitting here that is just waiting on a nice clear, not too windy day to fly on it's G80 that I have. Unfortunately the last two months have just not been the right kind of day for launching to that kind of height. It will happen though! Very much looking forward to this flight. I flew it previously on a E9-6 to get it it's "wings" it's a great looking rocket and flies really nicely, now if only the weather gods would be kind for a QRS launch day.

Ben.
QRS Member #033 -- TRA L2 Member #12180
Blog: http://www.ausrockets.com/ -- Twitter: http://twitter.com/ausrockets -- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ausrockets

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:51 pm

The idea of building a supersonic rocket has allways appealed to me, and reading this thread has got me thinking....

If the only aim is to build a rocket that will excede mach 1, and excessive altitude is just going to be a problem when it comes to recovering the rocket, then maybe finding a way to decelerate the rocket after burnout of the motor is the way to go.

If a motor with a short delay is used, then the motors ejection charge could be used to release a small streamer out of the back end of the rocket to increase the drag on the rocket and slow it down without making it unstable, or causing the disasterous effects of trying to deploy a conventional recovery system at supersonic speeds. Deployment of the recovery system could then be achieved by means of an altimeter or timer set for a longer delay that that of the motor.
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

PK

Postby PK » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:01 pm

You've really got two options to limit alititude
1).Build it super light. This will limit it's balistic coefficient causing higher deceleration after burnout.

Given that you'll be wanting this thing to fly on a tiny motor, this approach won't help you much as you already have a high balistic coefficient.

2). Fly with a very short delay. Pop the nose off 1 second after burnout and you'll slow down pretty quick. Might need a bigger charge though.
You'd also have to build for near sonic deployment, which would take more weight and drop your accel and hence top speed.

PK

blackbird
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby blackbird » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:09 am

The simulation of the rocket that I'm planning to go supersonic with states that the rocket will decelerate at some 25G straight after burnout! I'm not planning on letting anything come out until the rocket slows down enough. I expect this rocket to achieve an altitude of about 6,500ft.

PK

Postby PK » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:27 am

blackbird wrote:The simulation of the rocket that I'm planning to go supersonic with states that the rocket will decelerate at some 25G straight after burnout! I'm not planning on letting anything come out until the rocket slows down enough. I expect this rocket to achieve an altitude of about 6,500ft.

Fair enough. I was workiing on the assumption that you were trying to limit altitude.

Assuming this is a small rocket, you might want to fly a GPS in it. It'll add a few hundred grams, but it sounds like you'll go higher with the extra weight. You'll certainly stand a much better chance of getting it back.
I've a couple lying around, as does Craig.

PK

Return to “Higher, Faster, Further”