Vertical Trajectory System (with some 3D printed parts)

Discussions on high/extreme altitude and mach busting rockets.

Moderator: Moderators

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Vertical Trajectory System (with some 3D printed parts)

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 am

Can’t wait. Nice bit of science btw.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Final Preparations for Flight

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Final Preparations for Flight
Getting ready to light a fire under this next weekend. Exciting times ahead. I have done final assembly and testing on the VTS assembly and it is behaving as I expect. Velociraptor R has been prepped and is ready for final stacking and inserting the K1103X motor. Batteries are charging for flight as we speak :) .

Here she is before I fitted the airframe over everything:
FoamPacked.JPG

Notice that a lot of the interstices have been packed with foam to assist this, what is essentially a breadboard, assembly in not having anything rattle around under acceleration.

One of the last items on the list is a breakwire for shutting the VTS off when the assembly breaks from the rocket at apogee. That will save my batteries and servos, keeping them good for next flights. So I want a fine wire I can cut easily, but it needs to be robust so it doesn't prematurely neutralise the VTS. Here is what I have come up with:
Breakwire.JPG

I have taken a washer and applied a countersink tool to each side. This leaves a nice sharp edge in the middle of the donut to cut the wire when there is a pull on the harness. The washer will be held with a cable tie to the recovery harness.

A nice new set of fins should be printed in Pro Grey tomorrow, for fitting onto the assembly later in the week.

Now, onto a camera band with four cameras for the flight...
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Flight Fins Finished

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Flight Fins Finished
Since the strength testing showed the strongest parts were printed on the SLA printer in Pro Grey, a complete set was printed. Two of the fins have slightly more travel than the other pair. I didn’t want the roll control fins to not have enough authority, so I gave them an extra 3 degrees of swing each way, which is controlled by mechanical stops on the rear of the flange. The main fins on the Velociraptor R are a little warped since it sat in the field for 11 months in a previous life. Only two of the four fins contribute to roll maneuvering with this setup and I wanted to make sure they were not hamstrung too much. Note the great surface finish on the SLA printed parts.

What you see there is straight out of the printer without any further finishing.
finsresize.jpg

Here she is all buttoned up.
allresize.jpg

As usual, click images for a better view :)

Launch has been cancelled for this weekend :( due to weather unfortunately. Maybe it will fly the following week, weather permitting.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:58 am

The fins look great OTT! Good luck with the flight, I'm very much looking forward to the flight report. How do you think the fins will go on landing?
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Fins should be fine. NC assembly lands after the main airframe so velocity under the chute should be less than the average sink rate.

Fins are strong. They will be fine. Servo flange, maybe...
TRA #13430
L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Awe man, looks superb.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:42 am

Still On Hold
:(

All buttoned up and ready to go. Just need the weather to cooperate. Launched cancelled for a second time. Trying again for 19th August.

OnWallOnHold.jpg
TRA #13430
L3

Return to “Higher, Faster, Further”