AYRC 2010 GO FOR LAUNCH

AYRC is designed to help educate school aged students (Grades 1 to 12) using all the factors involved with launching a model rocket for a set mission. www.rocketcontest.org.au

Moderator: Moderators

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

AYRC 2010 GO FOR LAUNCH

Postby kopius » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:02 pm

The weather is looking fantastic for tomorrow and we are GO FOR LAUNCH!

If you require further directions to the launch site, please visit http://www.qldrocketry.com and click on 'Launch Site Directions'.

See you all bright and early and good luck.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Re: AYRC 2010 GO FOR LAUNCH

Postby october sky » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Hey all rocketeers,

All the best for tomorrow to all teams and as Blake pointed out the weather looks real good.

See you all tomorrow.
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Tarpazium
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Tarpazium » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:52 am

AYRC 2010

AN AMAZING LEARNING OPPORTUNITY !

The Setup

It began early on a cool morning at 6-15 am. Teams of abut 20 QRS members workers assembled at the Cedar Grove Launch area at first light and began the range setup.

There were tents for competing schools, spectator areas launch and control infrastructure, safety gear all had to be in place well before the first of an expected 200 students schools set foot on the range at an expected 8-00am. (The first group keen to get their launch preparations underway were to actually arrive on the launch field at 7-30am)

Rows of undercover area for school teams - that would later become stand room only

Last minute touches to launch pads for Students rockets.

Most school teams had only launched previously, up to 400 feet at their own schools and at local parks. QRS was eager to provide for these schools, access to their range so that they could have the opportunity to launch their own rockets at between 1000 to 1800 feet of the day.

Pre-Launch briefing of QRS range staff & Members before schools arrive.

Final safety checks - No detail TOO small to be discussed

The Facilities

What school event would be complete without a well stocked Tuck Shop ... (Complete with "Tuck Shop" Ladies)

......... and a well stocked stationary press......

......with every item you can imagine

NEW Technology (Seen for the first time at this launch area :D )

These new items also seemed very popular (I will say no more ) ......

Some of the Teams

(I will apologize to those groups that I did not get a chance to photograph)

The 2010 "pilot" competition had originally teams from both public and private from all over South East Queensland and drawn from some of the 20 schools, that QRS has been working with. Schools enrolled in the inaugural competition came from from a broad geographic selection that ranged from Brisbane based schools along with schools from regional centres such as Caloundra to the North; Ipswich to the West and Beaudesert to the South.

After a few last minute withdrawals due to transport issues on the day, the check in for completion recorded some 12 school teams, that were broken down into three launching and recovery groups, each of four to six members.

The Boys for the "Beauie Beasts" Team - Beaudesert State Primary Schools

The students from Aviation College ....

.... and their creation

Phil tutors the young men from "Churchie" College.

The Spingwood High's "Personalized" pavilion

These guys were so proud to have designed in RockSim their own airframe and then scratch built it.

The "unofficial" Springwood High Team Photo.

Teams from Bremer State High prepare and plan their projects next phase

Students from Canterbury College, get some last minute tips from retired "Chalk-n-Talk" man

Opportunities to learn

A chance for students to see along with "Mr Newton" what else makes it all work ?

For many student, it just meant so much more when you could see, touch, smell and hear it all happening around them.

Great ways to get started

...... More ways to nurture inquiring minds

A number of resources where available

Students and teachers in search of additional classroom resources

The "recommended" course text.

Basic kits for classroom use

Or just to be inspired as to what you can do .....

Some of where you can go, after you've mastered the basics

... and how far you can go..

The mighty Hercules, had to be shifted in case ENERGEX mistakenly attempted to string power cables from it

..... and ALL that, was before the first rocket of the day was even launched.

Unfortunately, after we started flying, as launch control officer, I personally had little opportunity, to take a great many more photos. I would therefore invite any of the other QRS members, who assisted in this event or any of the student and teachers who also participated in it to feel free to post any of their photos for ALL to share.

Tarp

P.S. Special thanks need to be paid to ALL the teachers, who promoted these activities as a part of their schools science curriculum, as well as making their own time available on the day. We hope to see again next year at an expanded event.

Tarp
“Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.”

[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/tarpazium/jz1afQl.gif[/IMG]

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:48 am

To say that the event was a success is nearly an understatement because it was a great success !!! :D

Brendan will have photos up very soon of actual launching, various teams and winners etc. I' sure others like Blake and Leigh will have few to share also.

First team members actually got there by 7.30am already and others followed. We had 12 teams in total which definitely exceeded my own expectations for this first comp. 8)

Weather was picture perfect with no wind and blue skies and wind only picked up a little towards the end. Perfect day for rocketry.

The entusiasim and excitement amongst students when they saw their rockets take off on C6-5's was wonderful to see. There were lots of "YEEAAHHH's" and "WOW's" amongst the students and the parents alike. Then when the demo's of E, G, H and J took off, so did the crowd. :lol:

HUGE thank's go to the members of QRS who were there so early to help set up and guide the students on this very special day.The judges, pad managers, RSO, LCO etc. etc. I was going to mention everyones names but it would have been a long list and I could have missed someone thus you know who you are, BIG THANK'S to all. :D

Blake, you deserve truly a special mention as I know so well you have poured much of your time getting it right. I was only able to help you in few areas while you did the major part of all the prep.work. Everything actually went maybe even better than expected for the first time so that is fantastic. Thank you mate and now the planning starts for the next years one which will be so much bigger and even better !! 8)

Councillor Hajnal Black JUST made it in time to present the firts place trophy and medallions. The great news is that she was so impressed with the number of teams and the enthusiasim within students that she promised Logan City Council to be part of sponsors for next years event. :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 am

Great stuff Guys, looks like it was an excellent day and an excellent event! :D

Congratulations to all the participants and teams too.
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Someone said there was a Youth Rocketry Challenge on last Saturday, so I thought I'd turn up. :)

It was a great day, and everyone enjoyed it from what I could see.

Took a few photos, so click here to check them out. http://www.jimboomba.net/gallery/v/Rocketry/australian_youth_rocketry_challenge/

Sorry for the delay in getting them up, been a bit busy burning out tree stumps and cutting up logs. ;)

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Hey Guys,

What an absolutely great day – it was fun !

I’m not quite sure who had more fun, the teachers, the students, some of the Mum’s and Dad’s or the QRS team assisting with the day ?

It was certainly an eye opener of the talent that lives within our schools. The interest and passion even at the Primary level was evident.

Working in “the pits” through much of the day was actually good fun just to see young minds think, compare, re-calculate, re-do and importantly – have a go ! Full chute deployment was a challenge for the first few launches and to see the rockts quickly come back apart to 'check' was good !

The day flowed really well, from set-up to launches to the presentations, I couldn’t believe how fast the day went.

Many comments from teachers and the students alike was “next year we will do this…….”

A very BIG well done to the AYRC - I can really see this growing in size in Qld. and nationally - Great stuff !

The “Vomitron” won Austins vote and ‘can we build one Dad ???’ :mrgreen:

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 pm

RobAust wrote:Hey Guys,

The “Vomitron” won Austins vote and ‘can we build one Dad ???’ :mrgreen:

Did you get the colours to use on it ? ... Carrot Orange, and I think Bile Green were two of the colours used. ;)

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 am

That's awesome guys. :D Really well done to all those involved!!! It's amazing to see how much effort went into organizing this event. I'm looking forward to it spreading to the rest of the country.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:35 pm

George, there is no doubt at all that this will be so much bigger next year ! The feed back from the teachers has been so positive and they can't wait till next year and the same goes for the students. 8)

I was in touch with the winning teams yesterday on the phone and it was so funny to hear how the second place getters ( Springwood State High School) wore their medallions at school all day on Monday !! :lol: Also, the girls from Beaudesert State Primary School who got third were still jumping up and down at school yesterday. The morning parade featured the teams AND we have been asked to go and do another display & talk at their school. :wink:

I believe all the members of QRS who were involved helping at the AYRC got a lot out of it, as Rob already pointed out ! :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Blake, you deserve massive acclaim for the time, energy and money you've invested to making the AYRC a reality. Plenty of us have thought or dreamt about organising an event like this, but to drive things through to actually make it happen must have required a whole order of magnitude more commitment; and to achieve such a successful event as well is truly amazing.

It's great to see someone investing energy and money in growing and developing the hobby rather than stirring up disparaging "storms in teacups".

Mike

mr. f
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby mr. f » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 pm

Wow looks like it was an awesome day I'm sure at least a few of these kids will be going for their L1 one day when they're old enough. Good job people this can only be a good thing for the hobby!

bgenn
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bgenn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:26 am

A great day and a fantastic event. Thanks to everyone that put it together!

I've not long ago completed my blog posting on the event.

Feel free to check it out http://www.ausrockets.com/

Ben.
QRS Member #033 -- TRA L2 Member #12180
Blog: http://www.ausrockets.com/ -- Twitter: http://twitter.com/ausrockets -- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ausrockets

spacepilot
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby spacepilot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:13 pm

The Beauy Beasts want to say a Big Thank-you to The Queensland Rocketry Society and especially Blake and Ari for setting up the competition and making everything possible. We really enjoyed watching the demo rockets and we also enjoyed sending our rocket as high as we could. I think we now have a better understanding of model rocketry. The Beauy Beasts would not have had this opportunity if it wasn't for all of you.

Thanks again
Beauy Beasts
Attachments
Beasts.jpg
Beasts.jpg (121.12 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Last edited by spacepilot on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacepilot
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby spacepilot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Thank-you for organising the Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge. It was a blast! We all had a lot of fun and we were excited when we got third place considering we were the only primary school there. We are hoping to see you all again next year and hopefully we will have good luck again. A special thank-you to Blake and Ari as well as all the other members who helped us throughout the day.

from
The Beauy Beauties (Go Girls!)
Attachments
Beauties.jpg
Beauties.jpg (125.56 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Last edited by spacepilot on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge”