2011 Challenge

AYRC is designed to help educate school aged students (Grades 1 to 12) using all the factors involved with launching a model rocket for a set mission. www.rocketcontest.org.au

Moderator: Moderators

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Re: 2011 Challenge

Postby october sky » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Rob, Nic, George & others, indeed help these guys as there should be few testing their rockets.

As most of you know I won't be there this time around and following Sat. is the event itself. 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm

The official 2011 Schedule is now available for download from http://www.rocketcontest.org.au/documentation/2011/AYRC_schedule_2011.pdf

Contestants, helpers and others who are participating on the day will be emailed with the schedule.

On the day there will be a sausage sizzle and drinks available for purchase. Motors and components will also be available if required.

There will be a number of demonstrations and of course the presentation of this years winners.

I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday for what should be a fantastic challenge.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Great work guys, I can't even imagine how much time is needed to organize the whole event and all that goes on behind the scenes. Hats off to you and thank you for helping to promote the sport in Australia.

The best of luck to all the teams competing. :D
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks AC, many months of planning goes into the Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge with many visits to schools, sponsors local councils etc. however with it growing each year and the value participants get, it is extremely rewarding. Will post plenty of images after the weekend.

For anyone who need directions to the launch site, please visit http://www.qldrocketry.com/index.php/launch-site-directions-mainmenu-58
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:49 pm

AYRC 2011 less than 11 hours away... WOOHOO :-)
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:13 pm

WOW what a big day it was !! The conditions weren't most favourable as fairly strong winds blew all morning and it was cold as !

That said it was a big crowd in attendance ( considering this event is not advertised) which I estimated between 150-200 people. We had a great attendance from schools with 15 teams specially considering the egg loft is not easy task at all. Only two teams were able to bring unbroken egg back from it's flight.

Students needed to show lot of skills to build these rockets as all were scratch built. 8)

Huge thank's to Blake for doing all the planning and printing etc. etc. It takes a LOT of effort to pull it all together.

Also I like to thank all the members who were there in various roles to assist. Without you it would not happen, thank you sincerely. :D

I leave it to Blake to share some amazing and exciting news about AYRC !!!! :wink:

I just know it that next year will be bigger again as we start promoting next years event from October already. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:42 pm

After a magnificent sunrise, it was 6am, 2 degrees Celsius and frost on the ground. The Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge (AYRC) team of dedicated helpers sprung into action to set up the site for what was destined to be yet another amazing event.

It almost seemed right on cue... clear blue skies, banners flapping in the gentle breeze and the range almost completely set up, the massive golden 16 seater hot air balloon with a little jump makes its touchdown just next to the range. Unplanned, it was certainly a great way to start the day, making for some spectacular photos.
hot air balloon and banners.jpg
Hot air balloon - Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge 2011

Having grown the challenge from last year and increased the contest criteria, all the teams arrived with a fantastic vibe of enthusiasm ready to fly their incredible rocket vehicles. Group leaders were kept busy with the many finer inspections and last minute adjustments to make sure rockets were safe and ready to launch.
IMG_7510.JPG
Pad setting up - Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge 2011
IMG_7510.JPG (66.62 KiB) Viewed 1601 times

As the launches started, the traditional August wind decided to rush through, throwing yet another variable in the equation of carrying the raw egg payload to the desired 750feet. The official eggs were individually labelled and handed to contestants who one by one rose to the challenge with a number of terrific flights. Unfortunately, even with many accurate and great flights, many teams quickly discovered that recovering an unbroken egg is not as easy as it sounds.
DSC_1250.JPG
Crashed rocket - Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge 2011

It was great to see so many students thinking outside the box with their innovative design techniques and willing to try unique ways to carry the delicate payloads. For many, this was the first time they had ever launched rockets and to really spice it up, using altimeters for the first time too made this fun challenge even more exciting.
DSC_0017.JPG
Rainbow Rockets launch - Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge 2011

Only two teams on the day managed to return a completely unbroken egg, which clearly set first and second places. Despite some hairline fractures, the battle for third came down to two teams whose eggs were still good enough to crack on the BBQ and eat for lunch. It goes without saying, the judges had much deliberation to work out third place.

With an altitude of 659feet, congratulations to Aviation High – Aviation Diamonds for taking out this year’s challenge. Beaudesert SPS – Beauy Beasts, after winning last year’s challenge, came second and Canterbury College - Year 12 secured third.

The primary school challenge was just as exciting with some impressive looking and performing rockets. It was great to see a number of all girls teams again this year breaking any stereotypical model of a male dominant field. This year the Beaudesert SPS – Beauy Beauties won the challenge after placing third in last year’s basic challenge. In second place was Beaudesert SPS – Beauy BFFs and Rochedale South SPS – Rainbow Rockets followed closely in third place.
IMG_7860.JPG
Places - Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge 2011

As always, there is a number of demonstration flights. This year we flew a spool twice as it is always a crowd pleaser and definitely an interesting vehicle leaving the spectators full of curiosity before launching. A ¼ scale Patriot on a H250G and an AMRAAM4 on a J420R were flown as the L1 and L2 HPR demonstrations which both added another huge WOW factor to the day.
DSC_0006.JPG
AMRAAM4 HPR Demonstration - Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge 2011

There was a lot to learn and with the hands on approach it seems there are a few budding rocket scientists in the making. Teams are already discussing how they would do things differently and are looking forward to next year’s challenge where they can fine tune their skills.

I would like to personally thank all of the wonderful sponsors and everyone who participated and helped on the day. It is because of all of you, that the Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge is so successful. Along with the success of each year’s challenge, it was exciting to also announce the news we received during the week that AYRC has been selected by the National Australian Library to be archived in Pandora, the Australia Heritage Archive. This is notably a huge part of history for rocketry in Australia and something that everyone should be proud of.

Planning for next year’s challenge has already begun and information will be released as early as October this year. I look forward to seeing even more teams next year for what is going to definitely be the biggest AYRC yet.
DSC_0061.JPG
Group photo - Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge 2011

Photos thanks to Kayleigh Daniels and Leigh Metzroth
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Here is a funny footnote to all above : Last photo which shows the teams and some of the helpers on the day also shows a row of cow patties......this line marked the control cables that led to the launch pad !! :wink: Ps. NO one stepped on the cables !! :lol:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

guy97
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby guy97 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:08 pm

I knew I shouldn't have named the rocket divine wind. It means kamikaze. O well. I get to keep the motors we would have used though. 5 E28t and 2 f39. Should be so much fun in my first scratchy
QRS #106

Return to “Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge”