The Magic Pre-Launch Check List

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

NewtonsLaws
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

The Magic Pre-Launch Check List

Postby NewtonsLaws » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 pm

I was wondering if there is a Magic Pre-Launch Check List out there somewhere.

Yes, can develop my own but why re-invent the wheel.

It seems to me if everyone used a "good" and perhaps AMRS approved check list for pre-launch check, that model rocketry can only be safer.

It might be prudent to have a check list for low power , medium power and then high power
With and without electronics ?

Hope to hear back soon.
QRS #184
AMRS #134 L2 RSO / LCO

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: The Magic Pre-Launch Check List

Postby drew » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 am

□ Make sure all glue and paint on model is dry.

So that is what I've been doing wrong.

In all seriousness, there isn't really a one size fits all/most solution to checklists because the checklist needs to suit your rockets. Here are some of the things the will alter a checklist.

Motor manufacturer CTI/AT/AMW/GORILLA/SCR/Estees
Ejection Delay Standard/Shortened/Plugged
Motor Retention. Clip/Retainer/Fwd Retainer/Tape
Parachute protection eg. Wadding/Baffles/Piston System/Burrito Wrap/Parachute Deployment Bag
Ejection Method. Motor/Electronic with Motor backup/Redundant Electronic/none.
Recovery. Parachute/Streamer/Duel Deploy/Single Break DD

That isn't a comprehensive list and some combinations don't work, but still there are over 4000 design combinations that will effect a checklist. So really you need to come up with a checklist that suits the rocket you have built.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

NewtonsLaws
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby NewtonsLaws » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 am

Thank you.

Yes, google was already my friend BUT Google might be a better fried to you Drew!

But I was hoping that the Australian Rocketry forum was a better friend than Google.
The BEST check list I thought would be in our (perhaps overly) risk adverse and well (perhaps over) SOP/safety conscious Australia.

I do agree with MM, particularly after reviewing those links and others I found that there is a WIDE range of what could be on the list.

I think my point still stand stands and consider this an informal but actual request to AMRS.

We would all be better served if AMRS provided templates, perhaps three, one for LPR, MPR and HPR that members can adopt and add to.
if we know as an organisation that we have given strong advise to use a check list and have provided solid advise in in that area, we know we have done our best for our members safety and our safety while watching!

Perhaps having a "good" checklist ought to be a part of L1-L3 certification as well.
I would agree with for first reply argument - any good rocketeer should have a check list .
Agreed.
But isn't the job of AMRS and state groups to help build and encourage good rocketeerring?
By leaving it to each one individually, that goal will not be achieved.

and various people have put lots of hours into many documents over the years from what I can see.
What is a few more hours to finish the job?

and wouldn't CASA be impressed!! :D
QRS #184
AMRS #134 L2 RSO / LCO

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:38 pm

martymonsta wrote:□ Make sure all glue and paint on model is dry.

So that is what I've been doing wrong.

8)
Attachments
IMG_4300_sm.jpg
IMG_4263_sm.jpg
IMG_4263_sm.jpg (230.1 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L1

AMRS Executive
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby AMRS Executive » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:58 pm

NewtonsLaws wrote:
I think my point still stand stands and consider this an informal but actual request to AMRS.

We would all be better served if AMRS provided templates, perhaps three, one for LPR, MPR and HPR that members can adopt and add to.
if we know as an organisation that we have given strong advise to use a check list and have provided solid advise in in that area, we know we have done our best for our members safety and our safety while watching!

Perhaps having a "good" checklist ought to be a part of L1-L3 certification as well.
I would agree with for first reply argument - any good rocketeer should have a check list .
Agreed.
But isn't the job of AMRS and state groups to help build and encourage good rocketeerring?
By leaving it to each one individually, that goal will not be achieved.

and various people have put lots of hours into many documents over the years from what I can see.
What is a few more hours to finish the job?

and wouldn't CASA be impressed!! :D

Thanks for the suggestion, we will take it onboard for consideration.......
The AMRS team has many projects that are currently being worked on, and as such is somewhat resource (read volunteer) poor, so if you would like to donate your time into coordinating such a project we would be very happy to hear from you.

NewtonsLaws
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby NewtonsLaws » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:16 pm

Happy to help!

I would be concerned that many L3 and above have forgotten more than I know!

But I am sure there are a number of checklists out there that your various contacts could contribute as starting material.
With guidance, I am happy to bring something to you for consideration.
QRS #184
AMRS #134 L2 RSO / LCO

NewtonsLaws
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby NewtonsLaws » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Happy to help!

I would be concerned that many L3 and above have forgotten more than I know!

But I am sure there are a number of checklists out there that your various contacts could contribute as starting material.
With guidance, I am happy to bring something to you for consideration.
QRS #184
AMRS #134 L2 RSO / LCO

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 pm

I have a nice checklist for my L3 which I will attach to my thread when I get back to Oz.

A general purpose list will not work for all rockets as the different configurations have different needs. Having a general purpose list will reduce the chance you have forgotten something important! It will will be a tool (think of it as a very blunt tool!) to get you thinking about what needs to be on your specific list.

Don't forget to a a line or two along the way of "Check all items on checklist marked as done." ☺

For a big project (or L3 cert) it can be good to have somebody else in charge of the checklist during prep.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Oldboy
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Oldboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:41 am

Perhaps Manny 46 can help. He seems to be all over the paperwork side of things
WARS 005 AMRS 98
L1

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 am

Hi NewtonsLaw

I can upload a generic checklist to the members only section of the QRS website if you are interested but.... do you really want me to???

Developing a checklist is part of your growth in your rocketry, similar to working your way through the HPR cert levels... Grabbing someone else's checklist will skip the thought required to really step back and analyse everything element of your launch day (and pre-launch day) prep. This may be part of the reason why a detailed checklist is required for the L3 certification documentation...

Maybe a better approach would be to make an effort at putting simple list together and having it reviewed by one of the senior club members (e.g. our blast off program co-ordinator)?

Drop me a PM or email if you want to talk more....
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Agree that this is really something that a flyer needs to develop and is specific to both their on method of working as well as the recquiremts of the rocket in the specific configuration it is being flown.

Just wondering if the High Powered rocketry handbook (can't remember the exact name) has lists in it. I would recommend reading this if your new to HPR.

Having said that I do agree that AMRS should provide a basic template that newbies can use as a starting point. Would help to reduce the bewiderment I think. This would be aimed at level 1 -> 2 only. Level 3 should really be able to produce their own.

Edit, The books called: Modern High-Powered Rocktry 2 by Mark Canepa
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Developing a checklist is part of your growth in your rocketry, similar to working your way through the HPR cert levels...

Possibly true in some cases, not so much in others. Depends entirely on the individual. Some people need more assistance than others.

The way I generally approach a task like that (and how I did my L3 checklist) is to first have a think about it and then write it myself. After some further thinking and refining I looked at some other lists as reference material to see if I had forgotten anything in mine. I only suffered one small gotcha on launch day (not on my list or any that I looked at!), but that was quickly dealt with. Part of the learning process.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 pm

A sample checklist has been uploaded to the QRS website under 'members' -> 'member services'...

This is modified from one of my old checklists and should be viewed as an example for building your own...
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 am

A checklist is only as good as you make it.

To put every conceivable step into a generic checklist would make it unwieldy to use and besides, part of understanding your rocket and its preparation for flight is all part of becoming a good rocketeer. I am NOT saying a checklist is not a good idea, what I am saying is that sometime before you launch you need to go over all the steps in your head, maybe even with the rocket and come up with your own checklist, then do it again to make sure you haven't forgotten anything. Doing this will mean you really understand the steps involved and you are less likely to miss a step. A check list is only as good as the person/people using it... :wink:

A checklist is mandatory for your L3 cert and forms part of your submitted package...
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”