Install of Motor mount in Airframe

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Install of Motor mount in Airframe

Postby joeman » Wed May 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Hello,
All is going well with the build, nice and slowly.

Thought I'd touch base with forums over progress. Pretty happy and confident with it all, but always nice to get some feedback.

POSITION OF MOTOR MOUNT
I'm getting closer to the step of gluing the Motor mount into the Main Airframe.
I've chosen an Aeropack Tailcone and so I've been working on the positioning of the Motor mount in respect to the Airframe - protruding by 1.06" (very close to 27mm).

It all looks fine, I can see that with the spacer installed (for use with Cesaroni motors), we have about 13 to 14mm of space left for the AFT closure (what is screwed into the rear of the motor casing) to butt up against the spacer/motor mount. What I'm trying to do here is double check my work by reconciling the gaps .... double checking everything is okay by confirming that a motor would fit fine. Can anyone vouch for that?
[I'll attach a picture]

AFT Centering Ring
I decided to use thin nichrome wire instead of paper. I found the paper could easily rip. Not sure what other people use, but it seems like a more reliable way to remove the rear CR during construction.
Just thought I'd share that :)

GLUING FORWARD CR to AIRFRAME
I've decided to use 24 araldite for several reasons:-
1. It has a strong final bond
2. It is not too runny, so easier to smear up near where the FORE CR needs to be....not so many drips.

I was thinking of sanding the area internally where it would be glued with Grit 80 Sandpaper, then smearing Aradite over a distance of about 2cm, probably about 1/2 cm below where the CR needs to be. Then as I push the Motor mount in, it would help to smear the glue where it needs to be...then I'll rest it vertically overnight.

I'm sure there are a million and one ideas and methods. What do other people reckon?

Cheers!!

Joe
Attachments
IMG_2686_sml.jpg
IMG_2681_sml.jpg
IMG_2680_sml.jpg
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Install of Motor mount in Airframe

Postby joeman » Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 am

Thinking I should purchase a motor casing to check things out. Going to need to get one anyway.

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Mon May 29, 2017 11:49 pm

I totally missed this thread. Is this a 75mm to 100mm Aeropack tail cone retainer? I'll have a look at how mine fits up tomorrow and let you know. I would suggest checking it with a case and if you ever might want to fly a 54mm case with an adapter get them as well so that you can be sure it all fits.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby joeman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Marty,
Yes, it is a 75mm to 100mm Aeropack. I've glued in the Motor Mount into the Airframe. Very solid and looks ok.

I've started building the unit to hold the rocket still/horizontal and fins perpendicular to the air-frame.
I must admit, building the bits and pieces to help build the rocket are just as much fun & Interesting! I've attached a picture below. My son suggests that we can turn it into table after I've finished using it!

The slot for the fins is large enough to allow allow a lot of 'play'. I've already thought up a way to ensure that the fins do not wobble while the glue is curing....just have to put this solution in place next weekend....time permitting.
Cheers!

Joe
Attachments
IMG_2852.JPG
Rocket/Fin jig
IMG_2852.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”