Amateur rockets to the 100 km von Karman line for suborbital space.

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

RGClark
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: Amateur rockets to the 100 km von Karman line for suborbital space.

Postby RGClark » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:14 am

RGClark wrote:Just heard Virginia Tech will also make their attempt on Saturday, Sept. 22nd at Balls 27:

https://www.facebook.com/orbitallauncha ... 4092496391

Saw on another forum that the Virginia Tech launch was not successful. The upper stage ignited prematurely at the launch site while still on the ground. Fortunately there were no serious injuries.

Bob Clark
Towards an amateur cubesat launcher:

Orbital rockets are now easy, page 2: solid-rockets for cube-sats.
https://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2017/ ... age-2.html

RGClark
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby RGClark » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Just saw this on reddit.com on the r/rocketry subreddit:

Tripoli Bans all University EX Launches until 2019!
Copied from TRA Facebook page - "Following an incident which occurred at BALLS, where the Virginia Tech team had an unexpected ignition of a class 3 motor in the sustainer of a “Space Shot” project, the Tripoli Board of Directors has voted to place a temporary ban upon all Class 3 projects from Universities and University clubs at Tripoli launches. Said ban will expire on 12/31/2018 if not withdrawn or extended by that date. The ban does not affect Tripoli members’ flights, only those associated with Universities and University clubs. A summary report of the Virginia Tech incident will be posted to the Tripoli Forum within the next three days. It will also be shared with NAR, CAR, and UKRA, as they have requested."

Bob Clark
Towards an amateur cubesat launcher:

Orbital rockets are now easy, page 2: solid-rockets for cube-sats.
https://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2017/ ... age-2.html

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:49 am

RGClark wrote:Just saw this on reddit.com on the r/rocketry subreddit:

By "just saw this" do you mean "saw this 48 hours ago but didn't want to point to that conversation due to accusations that my cheerleading might have negative consequences for university teams?"

Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:08 am

RGClark wrote:Just saw this on reddit.com on the r/rocketry subreddit:

Tripoli Bans all University EX Launches until 2019!
Copied from TRA Facebook page - "Following an incident which occurred at BALLS, where the Virginia Tech team had an unexpected ignition of a class 3 motor in the sustainer of a “Space Shot” project, the Tripoli Board of Directors has voted to place a temporary ban upon all Class 3 projects from Universities and University clubs at Tripoli launches. Said ban will expire on 12/31/2018 if not withdrawn or extended by that date. The ban does not affect Tripoli members’ flights, only those associated with Universities and University clubs. A summary report of the Virginia Tech incident will be posted to the Tripoli Forum within the next three days. It will also be shared with NAR, CAR, and UKRA, as they have requested."

Bob Clark

Reddit has it wrong. Our moratorium certainly doesn’t affect all university “EX” launches (which we refer to as Research launches). It only affects those flights which are classified by the US Federal Aviation Administration as Class 3, meaning those with greater than 40,960 Newton seconds of installed impulse, and it has no direct relationship to whether the motors installed in a rocket are Research or not.
Steve Shannon, P.E.
President, Tripoli Rocketry Association

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Steve Shannon wrote:Reddit has it wrong. Our moratorium certainly doesn’t affect all university “EX” launches (which we refer to as Research launches). It only affects those flights which are classified by the US Federal Aviation Administration as Class 3, meaning those with greater than 40,960 Newton seconds of installed impulse, and it has no direct relationship to whether the motors installed in a rocket are Research or not.

It also only affects Class 3 flights by university teams at Tripoli launches. Any University team can attempt a Class 3 launch throughout the remainder of 2018 as long as it's NOT at a Tripoli event.

I read that y'all had released your report into the VT staging incident at BALLS Steve. Has the incident report for Friday's event been completed? And would you be willing to share these incident reports with the AMRS? My understanding is that you were going to share them with NAR, CAR, UKRA, etc. I could be wrong though.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:24 pm

drew wrote:
Steve Shannon wrote:Reddit has it wrong. Our moratorium certainly doesn’t affect all university “EX” launches (which we refer to as Research launches). It only affects those flights which are classified by the US Federal Aviation Administration as Class 3, meaning those with greater than 40,960 Newton seconds of installed impulse, and it has no direct relationship to whether the motors installed in a rocket are Research or not.

It also only affects Class 3 flights by university teams at Tripoli launches. Any University team can attempt a Class 3 launch throughout the remainder of 2018 as long as it's NOT at a Tripoli event.

I read that y'all had released your report into the VT staging incident at BALLS Steve. Has the incident report for Friday's event been completed? And would you be willing to share these incident reports with the AMRS? My understanding is that you were going to share them with NAR, CAR, UKRA, etc. I could be wrong though.

You’re correct on al counts. Nothing in the a Tripoli moratorium prevents a student group from obtaining their own Class 3 COA and launch site to fly their own rocket.
I sent the OLVT report to Dave Couzens on October 12. Is that not the right place? I didn’t receive a response from him, so perhaps it’s in his spam bin?
The report for the Friday incident was released first. I thought I sent that to Dave also, but I just checked and I didn’t.

The conclusion was that static electricity most likely ignited the copper thermite used for head-end ignition in the motor when the eyenut on the parachute harness touched the all-thread screwed into the forward bulkhead of the motor.

For the OLVT incident, the students worked aggressively to assemble a large two stage rocket with the accelerometer based staging electronics turned on. The sustainer motor (no thermite) lit and sent the sustainer flying horizontally. When the motor struck the playa it catoed.
Steve Shannon, P.E.

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks Steve, I'll chase this up with Dave directly and get back to you if he didn't receive it.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:02 am

drew wrote:Thanks Steve, I'll chase this up with Dave directly and get back to you if he didn't receive it.

Thanks. I’d be happy to send it again.
Steve Shannon, P.E.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:10 am

Steve Shannon wrote:
drew wrote:Thanks Steve, I'll chase this up with Dave directly and get back to you if he didn't receive it.

Thanks. I’d be happy to send it again.

Hi Steve, I know Dave has been away with work a bit, perhaps you could send the reports directly to AMRS: info@rocketry.org.au

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:12 pm

I’m sorry , I prefer to send it directly to the presidents of other organizations so that they can decide for themselves how they wish to act upon the information. Thanks for understanding.
Of course the reports are both available to all Tripoli members on the Tripoli Forum.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Steve Shannon wrote:I’m sorry , I prefer to send it directly to the presidents of other organizations so that they can decide for themselves how they wish to act upon the information. Thanks for understanding.
Of course the reports are both available to all Tripoli members on the Tripoli Forum.

Hi Steve,

Are you sending to Dave at a @rocketry.org.au email address? FYI I've received emails from Dave as Chancellor of AMRS from the info@rocketry.org.au email address. The other "official" email that I'm across that Dave uses is the info "at" wars.org.au email address, which is the Western Australian Rocketry Society contact email address, but that's specific to WA, not the AMRS as a whole.

Blake's correct, if you're attempting to communicate with Dave in his capacity as the Chancellor of AMRS my understanding is that you should use the info@rocketry.org.au email address.

Cheers,

drew
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks for that clarification. I think I used one in the domain iinet.net.au which is the one that appears on my iPad.
I’ll go back and check and resend.
Steve Shannon, P.E.

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:15 am

I just sent the report about the OLVT team incident to the address you provided.
Steve

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”