L2 - Model Rocket

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

L2 - Model Rocket

Postby joeman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Hello,
I've decided that I should start on my L2 rocket build this year.... and all going well, come down to GoldCoast at beginning of 2018 for launch.

So I've started cleaning up and preparing workshop/garage and I'm starting to look around and what might Model rocket Kit (because I'd prefer to do from Kit, rather than scratch build)...that will meet my goals.

My main goals is to use a Dual Deployment system and to obtain my L2 certification. I'd be looking at using a CTI engine. I am putting a bit of thought into the possibility of choosing a rocket that can take a K or L sized Rattworks motor....thought I'm beginning to get the feeling I should leave this to later.

I've really only just begun and I've looked briefly at:-
- Wildman Dual Deploy (3")
- KATANA 4 (COMPOSITE) (4")
- Wildman Extreme (4") - No Stock (so might have to get from US)

I'm still a long way from deciding...though I'm thinking the 3" rocket is probably the better one...I'm wary of biting off more then I can chew.

With the Wildman Dual Deploy, there is no mention of Nose Cone. Can someone please confirm there is a Nose Cone with it?
I also remember reading that if a kit is a Dual Deploy, it does typically come with the pieces for the Avionics Bay. So does this kit include it?

I did read that Wildman Dual Reploy instructions are "brief", though I suspect between my existing experience, forums and a lot of care I'll be okay.

A lot of kits on AusRocketry online store do say "Available for back-order". When would such an order become fulfilled? [I know that Blake does some 'big orders' around middle of year...but this wait is probably bit too great]. This obviously interests me because it means I have a larger number of model rockets to choose from.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks Muchly!

Joe
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016
L2 - March Fly (1633K940) - 18-Mar-2018 - RSO

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: L2 - Model Rocket

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Pretty sure the Wildman dual deploy would come with a nose cone. I beleive this is a stretched version of the original wildman so the instructions here would be the same. Best to talk to Blake about what additional items you will need.

http://www.wildmanrocketry.com/producti ... n3_ins.pdf
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:37 pm

We are replacing pretty much all of the fibreglass kits with a better range that are 'more complete' rockets.

Often the previous kits have had missing components and/or are very basic shells. The new range typically will include complete avionics bays, however the details of the products of what is/isn't included is far easier to follow.

Here are the replacements to keep an eye out for:
Previous | Replaced With
DarkStar | Katana
Wildman | WedgeTail
Dominator | DominatAR
BlackHawk | Taipan

There will also be a larger range of sizes available for many of these.

All new 3D modeled instructions have been created for these kits which are much clearer and easier to follow.

We are still uploading the new kits, but all are available now. This thread just prompted some information to be posted :wink:

Since Australian Rocketry imports products on a monthly basis, for items that are available for back order, it is always best to email info@ausrocketry.com.au with what you are after and we can discuss options.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Happy Heyoka » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:35 pm

I can sympathise with the cleaning the shed up bit... that's an ongoing problem around these parts :oops:

I'm also planning to do my L2 this year as well as my first non-motor eject build - but as separate rockets; do you have a compelling reason to do both at the same time? I guess I'm being conservative in that I plan for the cert flight to be as straightforward as possible and leave the new stuff to other flights.
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:16 am

Absolutely no reason to rush certifications. In fact, it is often a lot of fun to fly in each cert range for a while and also helps build experience. If it just a separate rocket for electronic deployment and certification, then this could well be the same rocket, but you can do electronics on smaller motors until you are ready to attempt the certification
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 am

Hi Joeman,
Most of the L2 and L3 kits normally come without instructions or AV bay components. I once read that the reason was that historically it was considered that if you were flying such serious motors that you wanted to fly L2 you would have enough knowledge from talking to more experienced fliers and enough construction experience as a L1 to know how build a rocket. The AV bay was just left as a coupler (generally with bulk plates) so you could build and configure it as you wanted without getting parts you did not want.

I both agree and disagree with this thinking! There are many ways to build an AV bay and your first is hard if you have not built one before. Some manufacturers do make AV bay kits. I got one from for my 3" LOC Shaddowhawk mainly to see how hey did it after constructing a few from scratch.

Well done Blake on releasing kits fully kitted out with an AV bay, it will help a lot of people to fly DD which is a very good thing....but there is something nice about figuring it out on your own, making what you need and then having it all work. I still fly the rocket with my first AV bay and it still works even though I look at it as a pretty bad attempt. I build them much better now! :wink:
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:29 am

Good luck with the L2 project!

As for electronic ejection, once you have done it you will wonder why you put up with motor ejection :) . It works great.

Take your time on the build and make it your own. Your avionics bays will evolve as you discover what you like and don't like with each one you build.

To keep stress down on certification day consider keeping things simple. It can make the day more enjoyable!
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Sirbrad
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

L2 - Model Rocket

Postby Sirbrad » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:24 pm

kopius wrote:We are replacing pretty much all of the fibreglass kits with a better range that are 'more complete' rockets.

Often the previous kits have had missing components and/or are very basic shells. The new range typically will include complete avionics bays, however the details of the products of what is/isn't included is far easier to follow.

Here are the replacements to keep an eye out for:
Previous | Replaced With
DarkStar | Katana
Wildman | WedgeTail
Dominator | DominatAR
BlackHawk | Taipan

Has anyone purchased and built a WedgeTail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”