Derek's Level 2 Build

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Derek's Level 2 Build

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Looks like a well thought-out design for the NC. Designing for 3D printing is a great paradigm shift and fun too!
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Aquaman33
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Aquaman33 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:56 pm

OverTheTop wrote:Looks like a well thought-out design for the NC. Designing for 3D printing is a great paradigm shift and fun too!

Thanks OTT. It has definitely been a lot of fun working on these designs.

My CAD skills are still a bit ordinary. I sometimes have ideas in my head that I can't translate into CAD designs, but I am slowly improving.

I bought some reasonable quality digital metal calipers, and they have been really useful.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:19 pm

My CAD skills are still a bit ordinary. I sometimes have ideas in my head that I can't translate into CAD designs, but I am slowly improving.

Sounds like where I am at. I drive SolidWorks like a Neanderthal I think, but a bit of head-scratching gets me where I need to go in the end :) .
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:25 am

OverTheTop wrote:

Sounds like where I am at. I drive SolidWorks like a Neanderthal I think, but a bit of head-scratching gets me where I need to go in the end :) .

Arg! You guys are killing me. Need to really get into it.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Aquaman33
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Aquaman33 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 am

My first attempt at 3D printing the nose cone plate was not a great success. It came out shaped a bit like a taco. I believe this is to do with heat getting trapped in the part while its printing and causing it to warp.

So I upgraded the cooling fan on my printer and printed a fan duct which improves the flow of air. The blue bits are the upgrades.

Second attempt and it came out almost perfectly flat.

Top side.

Bottom side.

Top side with everything installed (the mounting screws are installed the wrong way around in this photo :oops: )

Bottom side with everything installed.

Space was really at a premium. Several of the components need to be touching each other to fit and the screw holes that will be used to secure the tongue are countersunk underneath the buzzers. Don't think I could manage this level of accuracy with plywood.

And finally test fitting inside the nose cone. I'll add some washers before launch.

This is a very simple location device as our club often launches near crops on a farm.

For my L1 build I used tilt switches and a single buzzer up inside the nose cone. The tilt switches kept going off during prep and it wasn't loud enough. So for this project I have gone for a timer and 2 buzzers mounted outside of the nose cone. Some rather unscientific outdoor testing suggests you will be able to hear it from about 50m away (except on windy days when you probably won't hear it at all :D ).

Once the rocket is ready for launch I will turn the rotary switch. This will start a timer and the red LED flashes to confirm the timer is running. The rocket is launched and after a pre-determined period of time the buzzers will start buzzing to help locate the rocket on the ground.

After another pre-determined period of time the buzzers switch off, but the LED continues to flash. This will conserve the batteries and make the rocket easier to locate at night. The LED is not very bright, but you can see it flashing from a reasonable distance away.

I am thinking of using a simple relay timer to make this work, but I may upgrade to a little Arduino if I work out how to do it. I am quite useless when it comes to electronics.

Aquaman33
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Aquaman33 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Not a very exciting update today, but I made a tongue for my nose cone electronics.

I started by printing a full size nose cone template from OpenRocket.

I then used the template to design a tongue that would fit inside the nose cone.

I cut the tongue out of 4mm balsa and laminated it with carbon and epoxy.

After letting it cure for 48 hours I gave it a clear coat of epoxy to seal it.

Test fitting the tongue in the bulkhead plate.

I am a big fan of balsa/carbon laminates. It's incredibly strong and light especially when the balsa is more than 3mm thick. The spacing between the carbon layers that you get with 3mm plus balsa adds a lot of strength.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:47 pm

That's the biggest tongue depressor I have seen!
TRA #13430
L3

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”