Glad Wrap Rocket

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Glad Wrap Rocket

Postby Aquaman33 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 pm

I like the idea of making rockets from recycled household items. A few years ago I made a Pringles rocket in a single day. Probably the quickest rocket I have made, but it always gets loads of attention and kids love it. In fact when our club had a stall at a local University the Pringles rocket got a lot more attention than my L1 rocket which had taken so much longer to build, was bigger and far more sophisticated.

Simple rockets made from familiar materials make rocketry appear more accessible and that's obviously a good thing.

So with this in mind I decided to do another quick build that might appeal to "the public" and would incorporate a classic Aussie brand.

Starting point was these 2 Glad Wrap tubes, which I clear coated to protect them.

One stayed white and the other went a bit brown. But I can live with that.

I designed and 3D printed a fin can, nose cone, coupler and motor retainer.

The fin can and fins were printed separately so that I could orientate them on the printer for maximum strength (and ease of printing).

I swept the fins forward of the motor mount to reduce the chance of breakage on landing.

After a bit of epoxy its all done an ready to fly.

Its very tempting to fill the spirals and give it a nice paint job, but I think that would ruin the fun.

It weighs 252g, so will fly well on a composite E or F motor. Open Rocket says 900 feet on an E and 1,300 on an F.

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”