Institutional knowledge

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Institutional knowledge

Postby Legendontour » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:55 pm

I’m after some knowledge that I think Nic Lottering published a few years ago, but he’s not currently active on the forum and I’m buggered if I can find it through the search function.

How many layers of fibreglass cloth gives a fixed wall thickness? ie I’ve rolled a 38 mm tube of 135gsm with 5 layers and it’s a bit thin for the nose cone I’ve got off Blake.

As an aside, where do people buy Araldite LY3600 from. I bought my first 1kg from CG composites in Brisbane, but they’ve stopped selling composites material and my local retailer on the Sunshine Coast sells Compset Universal System. I’m not remotely pushing boundaries, but my first 1kg Araldite 3600 has been exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: Institutional knowledge

Postby kopius » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:07 pm

There are obviously a few variables, but a ballpark is ~700gsm per mm.

There is a company in SA (need to look it up) that is doing araldyte, but freight is expensive. Give me a call during the week and I can chat to you about other resin options.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Legendontour wrote:How many layers of fibreglass cloth gives a fixed wall thickness? ie I’ve rolled a 38 mm tube of 135gsm with 5 layers and it’s a bit thin for the nose cone I’ve got off Blake.

This question is dependent on the gsm of the cloth you use. I use 200gsm carbon fibre 2x2 twill for my airframe layups and I get ~0.37mm of thickness per layer.

https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5886

Legendontour wrote:As an aside, where do people buy Araldite LY3600 from.

I get mine from Kirkside products out here in WA.

https://www.kirkside.com.au/product/k3600-epoxy-laminating-resin/

I've also seen it advertised as Renlam 3600 system and the OEM appears to be Huntsman.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:25 pm

Laminate thickness depends on the type of reinforcement AND the amount of resin.
I found this table of guidelines for fibreglass in my files (information provided by FMS):

Laminate thickness table.jpeg
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Kryten wrote:Laminate thickness depends on the type of reinforcement AND the amount of resin.

Correct. And the "ballpark" ratio we work towards in the hobby is 1:1, right? And maybe a little less if your layup is under vacuum?

I'm not an expert but from my understanding anything above a 1:1 ratio will both add mass and decrease strength. Truly the worst of both worlds! :lol:
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Correct. And the "ballpark" ratio we work towards in the hobby is 1:1, right? And maybe a little less if your layup is under vacuum?

I'm not an expert but from my understanding anything above a 1:1 ratio will both add mass and decrease strength. Truly the worst of both worlds!

All correct statements from my understanding. I too work to the 1:1 ratio. I think there are some fabrics that deserve a little more for maximum mechanical properties, but not a significant amount IIRC.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Jim-K
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Jim-K » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:17 am

Your aim should be to maximise the fibre fraction (the bit doing the work) whilst minimising the porosity (ensuring the fibres are stuck together).
Also, make sure you know whether people are talking about weight fractions or volume fractions. The ratios will be different for the same laminate.

DiscountBatman
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby DiscountBatman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:59 am

Meury Enterprises here in VIC are selling 4kg K3600 kits for about what I was getting it for in WA:
https://www.meury.com.au/
Might cost you a bit less in shipping coming from the east. No online ordering though, so you'll have to call them up.

I'm using 300gsm 2x2 twill glass and I'm getting about 0.3-0.4mm per layer, but like others have said it depends on the compression between layers etc. Carbon will have thicker layers for the same gsm as its less dense.

Nice little paper that shows the typical volume fraction for woven and unidirectional fibers (Table 5.2, pg. 4).
https://studylib.net/doc/5891342/typica ... -fractions

Using 1:1 fiber weight to resin weight will get you a volume fraction of around 30% with glass, which is what I get when running the numbers on my own layups. Best case scenario you might be able to get to 50%, but that's likely with woven rovings and vac bagging.

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Legendontour » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:16 am

Thanks for that info. I’ll give Meury a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”