MacPerformance Firestick XL - my level 2.5 build

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

MacPerformance Firestick XL - my level 2.5 build

Postby Legendontour » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:10 am

I’m super keen to get my level 3 at some stage in the near future and I’m slowly working towards it. However I have decided I would definitely benefit from a few different builds before I commit to a project.

With that in mind I purchased a 3 inch, 54mm Canvas Phenolic kit that will fly I to L motors. It’s dual deploy, 4 fin, FWFG nose cone and boat tail.

These kits have a reasonable following on TRF, but I haven’t come across many people here constructing them. The canvas phenolic seems a step up from PML phenolic, but not quite glass strong. However, it’s probably (though I not completely) safer to sand than composites.

Anyhow, I’ve done the customary dry fit, weighed all the parts for my OR file and begun to construct the fin canImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: MacPerformance Firestick XL - my level 2.5 build

Postby Legendontour » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:30 pm

Made some decent progress on this build.

The instructions called for building the boat tail section backwards, starting with the retainer to MMT, then gluing that into the boat tail. The kit had changed somewhat from the website pics and it no longer came with a rear centering ring or a Kevlar Y harness. When I enquired it was because they were supposedly not necessary in its current configuration, and the vendor quickly altered the website to reflect that.

I decided I did want a rear CR to help with strengthening the fins, so I measured the inside of the boat tail at the base of the fin slot and made one on my dremel routing table.

I mounted the rear slimline retainer and then built my fincan externally. First time doing this. To get the fins on straight I used payload bay to construct a couple of jigs that also helped to compress the fins to the MMT.

I also experimented with adding some chopped CF to the fillets. Took a couple of goes to get the right consistency. It’s easy to make a hairball

I then spent a couple of days sanding and dry fitting the boat tail and booster tube slots till they slid on with no hang ups.

Lastly, today I sanded the body tube/fin interface and laid some Epiglue external fillets. I only just discovered this reading old forum posts and practised on a scratch built 54mm Punisher I made over the weekend. It’s good stuff and great to be able to do all 4 fillets, but does tend to go off quicker than I expected, so I have a bit of sanding to do on a couple of the fillets

There is a reasonable amount of air entrained in the epiglue mixture, but given its so thick I’m buggered if I can work out how to degas it. If I try to heat it up to make it runnier I suspect it will just go off faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:21 pm

Looking great!

You could try vacuum degassing. You just need a small vacuum pump attached to a flat plate you can put over the mixing cup. I have been known to use this method, using a small two-stage diaphragm pump I have. No need to break out the rotary pump for that one! Worked well with West Systems 105/206 (slow) epoxy.

Chemists (not pharmacists) have been known to use an ultrasonic cleaner with a small amount of liquid in it to degas. The container of liquid to be degassed is just placed in the shallow ultrasonic bath. I have not tried this method.

I guess the effectiveness of this depends heavily on the viscosity of the relevant epoxy and how long you want to degas for. Remember big batches of epoxy will go off quicker due to the exothermic reaction as it cures, so keeping the mix cool during degassing will buy you some time.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:10 am

Man that looks solid.

Awesome build.

markf74
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby markf74 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:07 pm

Agree , looks great ,Whats your source for the kit ? if you don't mind my asking
QRS # 271
AMRS #367 L1

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Legendontour » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:10 pm

markf74 wrote:Agree , looks great ,Whats your source for the kit ? if you don't mind my asking

https://macperformancerocketry.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”