Aerotech Mirage

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

Srki
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Aerotech Mirage

Postby Srki » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:41 am

Hello all, I recently purchased myself an Aerotech Mirage rocket and was reading through the guide booklet. It advised to use medium viscosity cyanoacrylate cement, doing some reading I'm lead to believe this is just super glue? I was thinking rather than using super glue I could use Zap 5 minute epoxy. If I could get some pointers that would be great!

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: Aerotech Mirage

Postby Legendontour » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 am

I put a couple of kits together last year with CA(superglue) incl an Estes D region tomahawk. It’s pretty much popped a fin on every landing that I’ve flown it. I’ve been gluing them Mack in with epoxy

My son won an Aerotech Arcas at Havic in the Paddick last year and we elected to put the fin can together with 5 min epoxy instead. Its held together superbly on G and H motors. The fin lock system makes getting it straight super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Aerotech Mirage

Postby Aquaman33 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:22 pm

Yes, cyanoacrylate is super glue or CA glue.

Yes, epoxy is usually a lot more appropriate for most rocket applications.

The other good thing about epoxy is that you can control the viscosity by adding fillers to thicken it.

Surface preparation is important when using epoxy. Surfaces should be roughened with course sand paper and then cleaned with something like isopropyl alcohol or acetone before the epoxy is applied.

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”