Glad Wrap Rocket

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Glad Wrap Rocket

Postby Aquaman33 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 pm

I like the idea of making rockets from recycled household items. A few years ago I made a Pringles rocket in a single day. Probably the quickest rocket I have made, but it always gets loads of attention and kids love it. In fact when our club had a stall at a local University the Pringles rocket got a lot more attention than my L1 rocket which had taken so much longer to build, was bigger and far more sophisticated.

Simple rockets made from familiar materials make rocketry appear more accessible and that's obviously a good thing.

So with this in mind I decided to do another quick build that might appeal to "the public" and would incorporate a classic Aussie brand.

Starting point was these 2 Glad Wrap tubes, which I clear coated to protect them.

One stayed white and the other went a bit brown. But I can live with that.

I designed and 3D printed a fin can, nose cone, coupler and motor retainer.

The fin can and fins were printed separately so that I could orientate them on the printer for maximum strength (and ease of printing).

I swept the fins forward of the motor mount to reduce the chance of breakage on landing.

After a bit of epoxy its all done an ready to fly.

Its very tempting to fill the spirals and give it a nice paint job, but I think that would ruin the fun.

It weighs 252g, so will fly well on a composite E or F motor. Open Rocket says 900 feet on an E and 1,300 on an F.

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Glad Wrap Rocket

Postby Aquaman33 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:13 pm

Maiden flight today.

It went straight to about 900 feet on an E30-7T.

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:45 pm

That’s pretty sweet design.

Those fins make me want to try building a set of diamond beveled fins using a 3D printed core covered with fibreglass and sending them screaming off on some minimum diameter build...
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:15 pm

SpaceManMat wrote:That’s pretty sweet design.

Those fins make me want to try building a set of diamond beveled fins using a 3D printed core covered with fibreglass and sending them screaming off on some minimum diameter build...

Making beveled fins on a 3d printer is a lot easier than making them with sand paper!

I had also thought about 3d printed cores. I believe the biggest issue is getting the fibreglass to stick to the plastic. Perhaps include some holes all the way through the plastic that the resin can flow through.

Definitely worth experimenting.

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Aquaman33 wrote:

Making beveled fins on a 3d printer is a lot easier than making them with sand paper!

I had also thought about 3d printed cores. I believe the biggest issue is getting the fibreglass to stick to the plastic. Perhaps include some holes all the way through the plastic that the resin can flow through.

Definitely worth experimenting.

Yeah, I thought make it a lattice like construction, so the resin would form its own structure. Basically the plastic is only there to give the fin the desired form during construction.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

fanga
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby fanga » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:25 am

Was a nice inaugural flight. Awesome design.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 pm

I have started experimenting with 3d printed fin cores for a mid power project.

I plan to laminate these with carbon.

STL file:

First print:

Printed with 25% infill.

I included lots of randomly spaced 2mm holes. I am thinking that 2mm is just about big enough to let the resin flow in.

2.5mm thick with rounded edges. I thought I would keep it simple to start and then try beveled edges later.

I will sand them with course sand paper and then clean with alcohol before laminating, to give the best chance of adhesion.

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 am

Some interesting research on the use of 3d printed ABS cores with carbon fibre laminate:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6401912/pdf/polymers-10-01262.pdf

I should probably start a new thread to explore this further.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:30 pm

That paper was a bit of a disappointment. It took an FDM core and laminated it with CF and the tensile strength of the structure went up. How about that! [sarcasm]. Maybe I missed something but it seems to be the outcome is a little obvious.

Yes, there are lots of opportunities to marry 3D printed parts with FG and CF (or whatever). Choose compatible materials and glues/processes and it is a wonderful field of endeavor to improve the mechanical world.

I have personally tried an ABS core with CF plates on either side, but the surface treatment of the ABS to get the epoxy to bond was quite a variable process, so I switched out the 3D printed core for a CNC routed fiberglass one. That worked.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5019&start=30
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 pm

As I have said several times before its good to share your mistakes......as well as your victories.

There have been 2 issues with the Glad Wrap rocket:

Firstly the 3d printed body tube joiner wasn't strong enough for the job. I printed it vertically so its naturally weaker on the vertical axis where the layers join. I recently noticed a crack in the plastic, so I printed another one. But this time I epoxied a cardboard tube inside the joiner to give it much more strength.

Secondly I decided to fly it last weekend at our NSWRA club launch. Without thinking I left the rocket on my table in the sun for about an hour. It wasn't a particularly hot day, but it was obviously warm enough to melt the fins.

The top fin in the photo is the worst, but the others are also a little bent.

I think I can probably straighten them with a hair dryer.

I understand that it is possible to anneal PLA in the oven. Maybe I will try that next time.

Painting it white will also help I guess.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”