Binder Design Velociraptor

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Binder Design Velociraptor

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Just got a nice Velociraptor kit from Bones at Suburban Rocketry. What a great looking kit! Lots of what seem to be very good quality bits and pieces.

Interesting when I was looking at the motor mount tube that I realised it was larger than a lot of rocket airframes I have! Such is progress. :D

Will be a while getting this one together. Fiberglass will be interesting...

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:54 pm

That looks huge!

Now, remember flying at the wetlands has a ceiling of 400 feet....

However, at Tripoli's launch site at Serpentine (Near Bendigo) can go as high as 25,000 :)

Good luck with the build!!

Krusty

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:03 am

It would be spectacular to fly at the wetlands to 400'! Must do some sims...

Add some airbrakes, make sure the chute opens quickly. Sounds do-able. :D

Just got to figure out how to stop the cars on the freeway being too distracted!

I'm guessing it will be my L2 bird in about a year or so.

mike_fnq
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby mike_fnq » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:54 am

used to regularly fly my stretched Bruiser (sig pic) at Doonside in Sydney in this height range. I like BIG rockets low and slow :)

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:42 am

I'm not a huge "low and slow" man, but those flights at Doonside with the Bruiser were rather spectacular :)

TP

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:20 pm

I'm with rocket-troy on this one. I like the safety of at least 1000 feet for this size rockets. Not a fan of min. motor size for larger airframes as lot of work goes for these larger rockets so to risk damaging it....not really worth it. :wink:

It might look spectacular, IF it works ! Why not wait till you get to Serpentine and let it "really rip". 8)

Just my 2cents worth...after all it's your rocket, your call ! :)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:35 pm

It might look spectacular, IF it works ! Why not wait till you get to Serpentine and let it "really rip". Cool

Mind you, that was probably over 10 years ago in Sydney when the local club didn't really have a higher alt site as an alternative. IIRC Mike did come down to Serpentine once to fly the Bruiser(?), but it's an awful long way to travel from Sydney.

TP

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:42 pm

If you really wanna send it up high .....come over to Williams and bang a K up it's bum!

We will look after you! :D
Why Limit Yourself?

AMRS #4 - L3 |TRA #11080 - L3 |MDRA #263

Impulse: A Whole Lot ..So much I've lost count!

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:36 pm

If you really wanna send it up high .....come over to Williams and bang a K up it's bum!

We will look after you! Very Happy

I hope to take up that invitation sometime next year :)

TP

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:43 pm

rocket_troy wrote:
I hope to take up that invitation sometime next year :)

TP

And you would be most welcomed!

:D :D :D
Why Limit Yourself?

AMRS #4 - L3 |TRA #11080 - L3 |MDRA #263

Impulse: A Whole Lot ..So much I've lost count!

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks for your comments guys.

I was thinking seriously of a K for its first flight (and L2 cert).

Got to work out a motor for it eventually, and also something for my L1. So many choices...

Also an altimeter and a more complex MAD for drogue deploy.

As to low and slow, they do look impressive but I would be a bit nervous trying to keep it too low with not much time for a big chute to deploy.

FYI I have just made some ejection charges using black powder and "grain of wheat" globes, 3mm diameter and 5mm long with wire leads already attached. The tiny globes are sanded with a belt sander till there is a hole in the glass. A piece of heatshrink is then shrunk onto it. The other end of the heatshrink is filled with black powder (0.25g BP for my mid-power Dynastar Orion) and carefully shrunk and sealed. Got some ground testing to do on these now.

Would be nice to get to WA sometime and take you up on that invite. :)

mike_fnq
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby mike_fnq » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:07 am

I think many of the issues are similar for both.
Chute deployment is prolly the biggest for low/slow but careful packing, redundant ejection systems will minimise that risk. Oh and of course arming the ejection system :D those of us there will long remember the demise of the Bruiser...
Fast and furious is vcool Troy's Black Brandt at Serpetine was one of the coolest flights I've seen. I've just had a penchant for max impulse in min height.
IIRC Bruisers max alt was abt 2K ft on a K1100 which I reckon was abt right total impulse for it (reckon it'd have been prettier on K550). Lonnnng time ago though and am lookin forward to finishin my upscale Pterodactyl and flyin it on somethin big in the future when I can get my stuff outta storage.

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:35 pm

My Velociraptor is also in progress and eventual plan if to put it up for L2 on a K550.

So.... How about a L2 drag race? 8)
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Binder Design Velociraptor

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Just a quick update on progress on this rocket.

I have been picking away at it slowly and have completed the airframe part of the avionics bay. I have also designed and am in the process of making an insert for the bay that holds the GPS telemetry system. I need to make another insert for the altimeter to stack in there as well. I'll post some pics when the electronics is assembled in a few weeks.

I have started designing an altimeter, but time constraints mean I will probably just end up buying one.

I have just completed sanding the fins. Sanding was easy, beveling was slightly more difficult to set up.

I purchased an extension for my Dremel from Ebay.

To the frame of my heavy steel workbench I attached (drilled and tapped the frame) a piece of aluminium angle with a hole in it (not pictured). To that was bolted a CB radio antenna mounting bracket (pictured). The CB bracket allowed me to clamp the handpiece of the Dremel and adjust the angle of the tool relative the the workbench. A bit of trigonometry later it was set around 12degrees, and a sanding attachment was in the chuck. Aluminium strips were clamped to the bench to provide a fence to run the fins along:

This was a bit time consuming to set up, but made the job easy and consistent across the three of each of the fins.

So, after beveling and a nice easy final seal and sand, here is a representative pair of fins!
The fine plywood (about 9-ply, 5.4mm thick!) really shows the beveling nicely I think. At least it will till it gets a coat of paint.

Now I have to set them into the airframe...
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Binder Design Velociraptor

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Currently working towards gluing the fins in. I have never been quite comfortable with the thought of just putting enough glue on the fins and poking them in to contact the motor tube. Eventually a plan to strengthen the joints materialised.

Some 6mm x 6mm beading was purchased from Bunnings and cut to length. These will become the bulk of the fillets. To get less clearance (more strength) between the items, one side of the beading was sanded to the profile of the motor tube.

The tricky bit is to get these parts into the tailcone. There are only the fin slots for access! Not much space and difficult to keep under pressure whilst the epoxy sets. Holes were drilled in the tailcone between the fins for access. I can then poke skewers through them to keep the beading snug where it needs to be until the glue is set. They will later have a snap-fit plug fitted.

So I need to get everything buttered-up with epoxy before I drop the parts in and manipulate them into place with long skinny implements. Not shown is the fin guide that will keep the fins nicely radial that will get in my way to some extent as well. Wish me luck and stay tuned...
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”