Nike Apache Half-Scale Project

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Nike Apache Half-Scale Project

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Marty found a great article on launching a rocket in India. It was the beginnings of the Indian space program, and what is today the ISRO.

Transported on a Bicycle, Launched from a Church: The Amazing Story of India’s First Rocket Launch

Full article here:
http://www.thebetterindia.com/74283/fir ... dul-kalam/

4-1.jpg
4-1.jpg (30.12 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
2-1.jpg
2-1.jpg (143.19 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

pic2res.png
pic2res.png (184.59 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

The interesting thing is that the rocket flown was a Nike Apache (clean configuration) :!:
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:18 am

Are you going to bring your rocket to the MARS launch this Saturday for show and tell? It looks great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:35 am

Hi Kopius. No unfortunately. I would have liked to get to the first MARS launch, but I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation :D

With 20k' forecast for the Apache I need a Tripoli launch at Serpentine. If I went to two launches on consecutive weekends at the moment I would be in more poo than a Werribee duck :shock: .

It is sitting primed and ready in the hallway. Waiting... Hopefully a chance to fly before fire restrictions kick in.

PS Werribee is where Melbourne's premier sewerage processing plant is located.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 pm

A 3" Nosecone

Been a little movement on this project lately. I am working towards having a 3" Nosecone version of this so I can get some more altitude.

Onto SolidWorks and produced the following CAD models:
Base.png
Base.png (87.15 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Collar.png
Cone.png

Hit print and here is what you end up with.
NCAssembled.JPG

Needed to split the NC part into collar and cone as the build height was limited to 12" in the printer.

Note that this NC uses the same sled as the 4" version (interchangeable).

This NC now needs to be mated with a 3" airframe section to get the correct scale length.
TRA #13430
L3

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Avionics Assembly
I already have an avionics set for this rocket, but I am changing the Apache to the regular "skinny" payload bay. This is so I can get some more altitude out of it at Thunda next year :D . This necessitates a new set of electronics to fit into the 3" airframe.

First job up was to make some end plates for the avionics. Some 1.5mm G10 was put on a piece of wood in the chuck on the lathe and a disc cut using the dental drill (over 400k rpm!) in the toolpost. I also machined a step so it would locate centrally on the coupler.
1CutDisc.JPG

Another piece of G10 was shaped to be the bread in a microswitch sandwich. That is four microswitches for two altimeters and two pyro charges. RBF pin slides between to keep them switched off.
2CutParts.JPG

A ring of G10 was similarly machined, including a step for an o-ring to seal the ejection gases out of the avionics. This ring was glued to the first disc, creating a nicely fitting endplate.
Two charge canisters were machined, with the majority of the volume buried inside the avionics volume, to keep the parachute bay nice and tidy.
The end plate was machined to take a 10way Molex MicroFit connector (telemetry monitoring to NC), a 4way MicroFit for the two eMatches, and the two charge wells.
3AssembledEnd.JPG

4Switches.JPG

The main plate of 1.6mm G10 was machined to take two connectors to interface to the Ravens. Four holes to mount the Ravens were added, and also were slots for cable ties (securing the batteries). Some right-angle headers were added to the sled to be able to mount the Raven connectors onto, and a couple of small pockets machined to miss the barometer on the bottom side of the Ravens.
5Sled.JPG

6Sled.JPG

Two 4mm holes were added for some spacers and a bracket to mount the plate to the M6 eyebolt.
A second plate, for the lower end, was cut and dropped into the mill to add a hole for the second eyebolt and some more connectors. The larger connector is to provide access to all the battery connections without removing the assembly from the airframe. The two-pin Molex MiniFit connector is for the aft traveling pair of wires that are for the head-end ignition of the sustainer.
7End.JPG

Now throw the whole lot together.
8Assy.JPG

9Assy.JPG

10End1.JPG

I cut some airframe and coupler to length using the lathe. The length of coupler will effectively be the avionics bay length for this skinny airframe. It was glued in the correct location using the usual West Systems epoxy.
Four holes were drilled in the correct locations on the coupler and “Nyloc” style M6 nuts were peened in place manually (with a little epoxy to help!) with a ball-peen hammer.
11End2.JPG

Needless to say the wiring still needs completion
There will also be another switch assembly added, for the HEI interlock.

Stay Tuned…

HOLD, HOLD, HOLD
Going OS for six weeks so there won't be much happening to this for a while. Does it inidicate I need treatment if I Google where the aerospace organisations and musuems are where I am traveling? :?
TRA #13430
L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Looks really nice.

Have you thought about using the main sled as a circuit board to connect everything?

IE to wire it all up you would simply plug in the batteries, switches and anything else to the sled. The ematches can be conennect via terminals soldered to the sled and of course the header for the raven would also be on the sled and simply soldered into the circuit. Connect up the raven via the header and you are done. No messy wiring to worry about as the sled circuit board takes care of all the interconnections - very plug and play.

OverTheTop wrote:HOLD, HOLD, HOLD
Going OS for six weeks so there won't be much happening to this for a while. Does it inidicate I need treatment if I Google where the aerospace organisations and musuems are where I am traveling? :?

Nonsense - it’s called getting an education. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 am

Have you thought about using the main sled as a circuit board to connect everything?

Every time I do one of these I think the same thing! I think the outcome would be spectacular :) I do that sort of stuff for a day job, so my inclination to come home and do the same thing is not strong.

Here is a recent project of mine:
DSC07117.JPG
DSC07117.JPG (152.99 KiB) Viewed 212 times

DSC07118.JPG
DSC07118.JPG (146.47 KiB) Viewed 212 times

For hand rework I am developing a dislike for 0402 components :?
TRA #13430
L3

03flyer
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby 03flyer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 pm

OverTheTop wrote:Stay Tuned…HOLD, HOLD, HOLD

I will stay tuned, because I’m looking forward to the completion of your build.
Don’t know your itinerary and apart from the Tesla Museum... the Russian graveyards are the best.

Enjoy your trip.
Go big or go home

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks 03flyer. Looking forward to finishing and flying this one myself!

Don’t know your itinerary and apart from the Tesla Museum... the Russian graveyards are the best.

Italy, Mediterranean Sea (with stops in Italy, France, Spain), Naples (including Pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius), Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary. A couple of weeks organised tour, then self-drive. Should be great :D

I hope to do Russia and Kazakhstan in the future.
TRA #13430
L3

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”