Saturn V 1:100 Scale Estes Kit #001969

Discussions on mid/high powered model rockets using F powered motors and above.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

CSM Details Please!

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:25 pm

CSM Details

I wanted to add some detail to the CM and SM that I think is lacking in the kit.

Firstly, I have purchased some decals (1:96 scale) as mentioned earlier. At only a fraction larger than true scale nobody will ever know…

Next I downloaded the model of the CSM from AXM Paper Space: https://axm61.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/ ... 100-scale/
This is a great reference for details on the CSM.

SM Detail
I wanted to get some of the external detail on the SM, like what is visible in the real vehicle:
CSM.jpg

Primarily I thought adding the radiator details (the white panels in the above image) was key to the project, so I purchases some assorted styrene sheets and strips at my local hobby shop (Metro Hobbies in Box Hill).
Styrene.jpg

SM Surface Details
I decided I would try to make some embossing on a piece of styrene that would form the SM. The SM wrap was cut from the AXM model and laid over a piece of 0.25mm styrene (check your scale on this one :wink: ). The straight lines were ruled with firm pressure on a ballpoint pen. Experiment on a spare piece of styrene to get the feel for how much pressure. The round features were done using the back end of twist drills as a forming punch. Just select the right size and go. For the more rectangular features I grabbed a couple of drills and ground the rectangular size on the rear end, including rounding the corners. Again, use a scrap to determine how much impulse you need from the hammer on these. Remember too that the smaller the punch the less force it needs :wink: .
Punches.jpg

Radiators
Some 0.25mm styrene was cut to the size of the radiators. I found a convenient length (long!) 38mm motor that I am using to form the curve of the radiators. Once the rectangle is stuck down the bars are added, one at a time. Tack one end (tip: apply small amount of cement and after locating the strip pin it down with the scalpel), then wrap it over the length, adjust the lateral position (I did it by eye) using the scalpel (back edge, to hold) and then apply the cement while you hold it in place. Remove and add tape as necessary during the process.
Repeat etc…
Radiator.jpg

Radiator2.jpg

One tip for applying the strips is to apply the edge strips, then the middle, then the interposing ones. I find that I can align very accurately by eye using this technique. I think by placing in the middle you can spread errors in the others more evenly. This also works for fence palings and many similar situations.

But wait! As the Meatloaf song would say, “Stop right there!” Change of Plan.

I wanted to do a good job of this CSM, so rather than using my fabricated design I purchased these 3D printed parts from Shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WLDNY ... d=59349248
https://www.shapeways.com/product/2SAES ... d=59349258
https://www.shapeways.com/product/55BTZ ... d=93961746

Here is a comparison of the 3D printed and kit CM
TwoCMLES.jpg

Likewise, here is the same for the SM
TwoSM.jpg

Chalk and cheese really.

When they arrived I found that the SM tubular part was a little thicker than expected and would not fit on the transition in the kit, and the CM would not slide in either. A mandrel was made and the part pushed on, then centred with a dial gauge. A wood carving bit was put in the Dremel, and the handpiece of the tool clamped in the toolpost of the lathe. Using this toolpost grinder I was able to carefully take the diameter out to where the required parts would fit.
Toolpostgrinding.jpg

My intent is to have the higher detail 3D printed parts for display, but to build the regular CSM/LES kit parts for flying.

Next up: PAINTING!!!
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Saturn V 1:100 Scale Estes Kit #001969

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:27 pm

BTW, in case you missed it, just before I posted this post I also posted an update on the build that has appeared as the last post on the previous page. Don't forget to have a look there too :roll: .
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Return to “Mid/High Powered Rocketry”