clust-o-matic

Moderators: PK, Moderators

User avatar
OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Refering to the video on the earlier page, you say, "Big Deal. 50W 12V lights have a resistance of 4.2ohms (50/12). Igniters are much lower resistance than that!"

The hot resistance of the bulbs is 4.2ohms. When the filament is cold it is about five times lower in resistance. So each filament is less than an ohm, not far different to an igniter.

The smart-FETs that it uses are protected against many things. These devices are typically protected from overvoltage, overcurrent, overheating. If you are designing anything with FETs they are very robust and well worth considering if you can afford the extra cost.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

User avatar
CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley
Posts: 1966
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Contact:

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby CATO » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:11 pm

vance2loud wrote:From what I could find they used a NIF5003N smartFET 42v 14A.
http://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1974 has a broken link that refers to this.
If someone still has one they might be able to get some photos to help.

Hi Vance,

I stand corrected, http://au.element14.com/on-semiconductor/nif5003nt1g/smart-mosfet-n-42v-1-25w-sot-223/dp/1453670 But please note "Availability: No Longer Manufactured"
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 12:44 pm
Location: Devonport, Tasmania

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby vance2loud » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 pm

CATO wrote:Hi Vance,

I stand corrected, http://au.element14.com/on-semiconductor/nif5003nt1g/smart-mosfet-n-42v-1-25w-sot-223/dp/1453670 But please note "Availability: No Longer Manufactured"

That's ok, I just thought it might be of interest to anyone trying to replicate it.
For the record I haven't done any circuit design for decades so any advice from me could be superseded just like that part.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

StanO
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:39 am
Location: Oregon

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby StanO » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:23 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum and haven't figured out just how this one works. I reside in Oregon, USA and was in pursuit of a Clust-O-Matic and found this topic. It doesn't appear as if anyone is going to make any more. But if by chance someone is going to make them I would buy one. Just saying...

Cheers,
StanO

sather
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:27 am
Location: northern Illinois, USA

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby sather » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:34 am

PK wrote:Sorry guys, but I've made the decision to step back (further) from hobby rocketry. This means no more making stuff for folks.
The build thread for the clust-o-matic has the schematics and parts, you should be able to put some together.

PK out...


Sorry, guys... late to the dance as usual. I am a Clust-o-matic user and have several in hand, all in committed projects and (sorry) not for sale. However, I have an early one (green translucent board), and I can follow the traces and come up with a schematic (but only with your express permission) if someone wants to run a new (authorized) batch. Unfortunately, it does look like the RTF 5003N chips are no longer available. I do not know if another (improved?) chip could be substituted, since all electronic stuff is to me pure magic.

Unsolicited testimonial - I am a huge fan of the Clust-o-matic. It feels a giant void in rocketry and AFAIK there is NOTHING to replace it. I have air started up to 8 motors (2 Clust-o-matics, set to fire at staggered times) and they work without failure every time. I believe the issue in our hobby is that we are a relatively small community / market. When a new product appears, sales taper off after the initial burst. Since a market economy favors designed obsolescence, recurring sales occur in products that improve with time (i.e. altimeters) or wear out (light bulbs). Occasionally, a wonderful product appears and then goes out of production. The top three IMHO are the Clust-o-matic (clusters, airstarts), the Defy Gravity Tether (recovery), and the Rocket Tilt-o-meter (staging/airstarts). In all three, their initial design and implementation were perfect, and if there were a Hall of Fame in rocketry, they should be in it. (rant over)

Cheers.

Sather
"Entropy Demonstrator"

Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists
Fox Valley Rocketeers
Indiana Rocketry
Quad Cities Rocketry Society

Highest altitude achieved: 21,981' AGL

"Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"

sather
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:27 am
Location: northern Illinois, USA

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby sather » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:10 am

sather wrote:I have an early one (green translucent board), and I can follow the traces and come up with a schematic (but only with your express permission) if someone wants to run a new (authorized) batch.
Attachments
IMG_4303.jpeg
IMG_4297.jpeg
"Entropy Demonstrator"

Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists
Fox Valley Rocketeers
Indiana Rocketry
Quad Cities Rocketry Society

Highest altitude achieved: 21,981' AGL

"Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 12:44 pm
Location: Devonport, Tasmania

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby vance2loud » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:20 am

sather wrote:
Sorry, guys... late to the dance as usual. I am a Clust-o-matic user and have several in hand, all in committed projects and (sorry) not for sale. However, I have an early one (green translucent board), and I can follow the traces and come up with a schematic (but only with your express permission) if someone wants to run a new (authorized) batch. Unfortunately, it does look like the RTF 5003N chips are no longer available. I do not know if another (improved?) chip could be substituted, since all electronic stuff is to me pure magic.
Cheers.

Sather

The NIF5003N chips can still be found albeit in smaller quantities, whether someone can come up with a better replacement, possibly.
If you could post a few pics it would be great, I have only seen the clust-o-matic on here so any extra info would be helpful.
Maybe we might be able to come up with a new/improved/smaller version?
I love the idea of K.I.S.S. but are there any features that you feel would make it better? (maybe continuity LED's or beeper)
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

sather
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:27 am
Location: northern Illinois, USA

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby sather » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 am

vance2loud wrote:The NIF5003N chips can still be found albeit in smaller quantities, whether someone can come up with a better replacement, possibly.
If you could post a few pics it would be great, I have only seen the clust-o-matic on here so any extra info would be helpful.
Maybe we might be able to come up with a new/improved/smaller version?
I love the idea of K.I.S.S. but are there any features that you feel would make it better? (maybe continuity LED's or beeper)


I am very happy with the product as is, but now that you mention it, continuity for each individual igniter might be a nice feature. The downside is that beeps would quickly get out of hand with multiple igniters, and LED's require visible access to board. I like having the trigger external, so you can pick your own activation criteria (timer, program-able altimeter, Tiltometer, etc). It is already pretty small, especially compared to a LiPo battery. If one is flying clusters, min diameter isn't really a high priority, unless av bay placement is an issue. It will easily fit in a 38mm body tube. K.I.S.S. works!

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NIF5003N-D.PDF
"Entropy Demonstrator"

Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists
Fox Valley Rocketeers
Indiana Rocketry
Quad Cities Rocketry Society

Highest altitude achieved: 21,981' AGL

"Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"

User avatar
CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley
Posts: 1966
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Contact:

Re: clust-o-matic

Postby CATO » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:51 pm

"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M


Return to “Whooshtronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest