Project mentoring

Moderators: PK, Moderators

PK

Project mentoring

Postby PK » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Are you working on, or starting a rocketry related electronics project?
Need a hand/mentor/drinking buddy?

We'd like to help!

Whooshtronics is all about giving back to the hobby, so if you'd like a hand:
a:Getting your design working
or
b:Turning your design into something others can build or use.
Then let us know. We can help out with every thing from design review to packaging.

What's the catch?
:-) You knew this was comming right?

If we help you, then you must place the whole project in the public domain.
No reservations, no "except if you're a commercial entitiy" fine print. Free to everyone who want's to use it.

We'll also ask that as much of the conversation as possible takes place on a forum. So that others can learn all the little lessons along the way and can chip in their own advice.

There's a lot of people out there with spectacular skills who'd help if you ask..

What won't we do?
As much as we would dearly love to, we just don't have the time to teach you all about electronics from scratch.
You need to have some experience with soldering, understand digital electronics and some programming skills.

But if I have all that, why do I need your help?
Fair question....

There's a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE between getting one circuit mostly working on your bench and a robust, flight ready,
failsafe bit of electronics that'll work every time.

There's another EVEN BIGGER DIFFERENCE between that and getting the thing to a point where it can be manufactured in quantity.

That's what we're good at. We've got all the gear:
    Double sided PCB fab
    Semi automated PCB assembly station
    Fully automated SMD pick and place machine
    Reflow oven
    SMD Rework bench
    Laser Cutter
    CNC Router
    CNC Mill
    CNC Lathe
    Polyurethane encapsulation system
    Automted test bench
    Shrink wrap machine
    Bar fridge.
    And (most importantly) a few years doing this sort of stuff under our belt.

So how about it?

PK

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Project mentoring

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Great work guys! What a fantastic and altruistic idea. Something we don't see much of in the world today. :D

Hope it all goes well.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Good stuff PK! :D What a great approach to the hobby guys, and good timing too. I'll have a few questions soon about a small project I'm currently working on.

We'll also ask that as much of the conversation as possible takes place on a forum. So that others can learn all the little lessons along the way and can chip in their own advice.

Would you prefer to see project specific threads here under Whooshtronics for various questions relating to a specific project, or would you prefer different threads relating to specific topics that perhaps spread across multiple projects?
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Fantastic idea that I am sure will greatly service the community. I must confess that electronics scares the bejeezus out of me. I am sure a stack of threads will follow that have the answers to questions I didn't know existed.
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

PK

Postby PK » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm

air.command wrote:Would you prefer to see project specific threads here under Whooshtronics for various questions relating to a specific project, or would you prefer different threads relating to specific topics that perhaps spread across multiple projects?

Start the thread under electronics, or anywhere really. Just so long as google can get to it.

Cant wait to see what you've come up with!

PK

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 am

What a fantastic concept.
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

Return to “Whooshtronics”