Show us your hybrid

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby Voyager » Sun May 20, 2018 10:41 pm

CATO wrote:One day..... :roll:

Rattworks 29mm H70 & I90 motors and motor kits.....

SNAP! The Rattworks I90 was my first hybrid motor in the Gamma. I had intended to start with the H70 when I first got into hybrids, but they had no stock, so I purchased the I90 instead.

The supply of Rattworks reloads is a little random, hence my move to Contrail.
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 am

03flyer wrote:
Hey, Cato,
What’s holding you back from going Hybrid?

No offence, 2 things holding me back, knowledge and time.... Both are in short supply....
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3

Impulse:
2018: 7,455 Ns (46% M)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 am

03flyer wrote:... What’s holding you back from going Hybrid? ...

You probably could have asked me the same question a couple of years ago. You do need the time to get the experience. While I have been primarily a solid motor flyer, I am gradually moving over to being primarily a hybrid motor flyer. The move to HPR hybrid motors for me required a headspace shift and a different level of commitment.

While prepping a hybrid motor (up to installing the fuel grain and ignition grain) is not dissimilar to prepping a solid reloadable motor, that, for me, is where the similarity ends. The practical aspects of hybrids: the extra precautions; the extra GSE; the need to purchase, transport, store and use N2O. Additionally, having to pay rent on a cylinder is also incentive to be committed to the technology.

The fill process requires extra care from the individual and the group. An aborted launch for a hybrid is a little more involved than for a solid motor. The conditions at the launch site also effect the the operation of the hybrid - not just wind. The N2O needs to be maintained within a safe pressure range. Too cold at the site, pressure is too low. Too hot at the site, the pressure is too high. However, this is quite manageable if the appropriate measures are taken.

When you successfully launch your first hybrid, there is no turning back! As with solid motors, if you follow procedures, it will work.
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”