Learning About Hybrid Engines The Fun Way

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

fanga
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Learning About Hybrid Engines The Fun Way

Postby fanga » Wed May 01, 2019 2:56 pm

Howdy Gang

I wanted to share with you my first attempt at building a Hybrid engine and show off some of my first static tests

My goal in building test Hybrid engines is to learn everything I can about how Hybrids work. I love to build and test things so starting with Hybrids is something I'm excited about.

I'll keep you posted here on my adventures.

Here's my favorite static fire so far:

Also here is my first day of building:

Its just under 14 mins long and has a few firing attempts. Fast forward to the end if you want to see them. My Daughter spent a couple of hours editing this video and pulling together the shots. A huge thank you to he for helping me out.

The rig is a simple piece of Galv water pipe and cap fittings from Bunnings. I also took advantage of the current deal at BOC gas to give me 2 bottles of GOX for $79 a year. I will no doubt turn to NOX very shortly but for the initial firing I am ok with the results i'm getting from GOX.

The fuel is a 25mm rod of HDPE. I bought 2 lengths for $55 (min purchase unfortunately) and they look like should last me for lots of test fires.

The stand is some simple Aluminium brackets I found hanging around.

I have purchased some new stuff for a full test stand set up. I'll post some pics etc as I get this built. The next thing is to start recording some real results. i have a load cell ready to measure thrust generated and looking to purchase some pressure and temperature measurement devices.

Man this has been a lot of fun to get this far. I am sure I will engage with you along the lines to get more technical and deep dive into some of the more cool stuff. Big smiles on my face every day thinking about engines. It's good to be back into Rocketry

fanga
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: Learning About Hybrid Engines The Fun Way

Postby fanga » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Well it's been a while since the last post and I have had a few things evolve. Here's my latest test rig:

The longer combustion chamber and longer fuel rod gives more surface area to burn which appeared to give more thrust. Im unsure that my thrust measurement rig (Arduino with load cell) is reliable yet but I think I got it up to 2 newtons. Woot. Only another few hundred thousand to go to get just the weight of the engine off the ground :)

And you can see I tested a few nozzles. Getting the pressure balance in the chamber is quite difficult.

Unfortunately now I think I have hit the limits of what I can test from a noise perspective. It is very loud in the industrial estate in the middle of Brookvale NSW. I'm sue the whole valley was wonder what was going on.

Think its time to find some more suitable grounds for rocket engine tests.

Also been researching and starting some designs on a liquid rocket engines. Will start with liquid fuel and GOX mix as they are very easy to purchase. Lots of work to do on this one and is dominating my head space already. I'm going to start a new thread to chat about all things in this project.

fanga
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: Learning About Hybrid Engines The Fun Way

Postby fanga » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Also just found a piccy of a burnt fuel rod. Much cleaner burn now I get a better ration of fuel to oxidizer.

Still a long ways to go but learning a whole bunch.

Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”