90mm Hybrid Motor

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

spacelaunch
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

90mm Hybrid Motor

Postby spacelaunch » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm going to be building & trailing a new 90mm hybrid motor soon, that will end up being around the high L class. I am wondering if anybody is keen to have the parts for such a motor as I can place an order with a CNC shop for a bulk run.

PM me.
Space is only 100km straight up, see you there :)

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:14 pm

Jamie,

Did you get much of a response to this?
L3

PK

Postby PK » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:09 pm

The big problem here is insurance.
Anyone running a business just can't produce motors for the hobby because they simply won't get product liability insurance.
Drives me nuts! I'd have 20 different motors designs, all extensively flight tested using , 4 different ignition systems, impulses from G to M, but there's just no way to get them to market.
If anyone disagrees ,and would like to manufacture and sell them, then I'll be more than happy to do a deal....

PK

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 am

Isn't the next issue getting them 'certified' by a body that the rocket clubs/community reckognises ? or is the first issue, since insurance would only be available for a certified design.

CS

Merlin
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Merlin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:44 am

PK wrote:The big problem here is insurance.
Anyone running a business just can't produce motors for the hobby because they simply won't get product liability insurance.
Drives me nuts! I'd have 20 different motors designs, all extensively flight tested using , 4 different ignition systems, impulses from G to M, but there's just no way to get them to market.
If anyone disagrees ,and would like to manufacture and sell them, then I'll be more than happy to do a deal....

PK

You don't tell the machine shop what the parts are for. Just give them toleranced drawings of the individual parts and ask them to make it.

Are the parts you need just turned or are they milled as well ?

I would be interested to have a look at making the parts but I'm not in a position to resell complete motors.

If you are keen let me know and I will PM you my phone number.

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:37 am

VW-engines also manufactures Aircraft engines and is about to get a tender to be Australias first (i dont know of any other) approved rocket manufacturer. This is all depending on TRA approval for each motor designed. They can manufacture any type of motor from hybrid, liquid and composite motor parts.

They have a good relationships with CASA as a experimental aviation company.

just contact me or vw-engines.com

PK

Postby PK » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 am

You don't tell the machine shop what the parts are for. Just give them toleranced drawings of the individual parts and ask them to make it.

Machining isn't a problem. I own a CNC lathe and anodising tank( When I say "tested" I mean hundreds of tests, most of them instrumented.)

Interesting to hear about VW-Engines. I'll give them a call. I don't see CASA or TRA as the real issue though. As I've said, its the insurance companies that hold you back, and you do have to tell them what you are doing. Same goes for importing, someone gets hurt and you can loose everything..

Are the parts you need just turned or are they milled as well ?

all turned, there is some off axis drilling, but it's really simple stuff.

PK

spacelaunch
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby spacelaunch » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 pm

My plan was to simply facilitate a bulk order of components and pass them on to those who wish to build their own motor..I had no intention to do so as a business. Any hardware would be EX and thus not certified by Tripoli etc..

I had limited response to this post, so I am simple continuing with my own 100mm hybrid. I'm pretty close to having it test ready, so when I get it on the stand I will post some results.

Cheers
Space is only 100km straight up, see you there :)

Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”