Hybrid Igniter Tests and results

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

~RR~
Engineer
Engineer

Postby ~RR~ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Just found the email from Todd Moore of Sky Ripper, 1 x E18 White Lightning grain makes 3 x pre-heater grains...
I think you should approach the club committee again on this issue, before any further testing..
E18's are cheap as chips, and recommended by the motor manufacturer.. (sky ripper)
Shane...
TRA # 11474

PK

Postby PK » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Or you could just use steel wool.
I looked at the contrail motor website.
They are very basic U/C motors.
And the bad news is that you cant rig a conventional CCV without modifying the piston.

Your next best bet would be to use NOX injected into the cc via a separate tube, use that to burn steel wool (you ingite the steel wool with a normal 12V launch controller) packed around the top of the motor.
GOX would be more reliable.

I haven't read the QLD legislation but I know for sure that in NSW and WA that KN/Epoxy is a pyrotechnic composition and you'd need a license to manufacture it.
You say its the best option. Have you actually made some and lit a real motor using it?
I reckon it's one of the worst choices for a hybrid lighter. Use West system epoxy and add a heap (like 5% or more) red iron oxide and you might get some heat out of it, but not much..

You'd do better with pressed candy (which a mate uses very successfully).
But on a scale of what's going to get you in trouble. Slicing a G64 for a pyro booster is your safest bet.

In any case, all of this sounds like conjecture to me.
Go and burn through a couple of those cheap E cylinders of Nitrous you have. You'll soon figure out what works and what doesn't

PK

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:26 pm

If the SkyRipper motors were certified using an E18 slug as the pre-heater grains, that entire combination would then become certified. The Skyripper website indicates reloads are sold with the preheater grain. Clarification would be nice here...

I reckon hybrids might still require a License to Use (at least in QLD), as you're still going to need BP for altimeter-based ejection charges unless you use gas cannisters.
L3

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:45 pm

I have developed a non pyrotechnic ejection system as well.

I have a licence anyhow but my aim is to make it accessable to all and not a exclusive few

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:00 am

hybridhighflyer wrote:Only a few issues with the AT Propellant. I have tested this (in a non live situation) and your correct it works fantastic.

Only issue is its modifying a motor (the G motor) and thats against tripoli rules. Even though its not being used as a motor a igniter is not a certified use of the motor.

I'm sure this isn't what they mean by "motor modification"
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

spacelaunch
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby spacelaunch » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:29 am

PK wrote:You say its the best option. Have you actually made some and lit a real motor using it?
I reckon it's one of the worst choices for a hybrid lighter. Use West system epoxy and add a heap (like 5% or more) red iron oxide and you might get some heat out of it, but not much..

PK is spot on here, from experience this composition is almost impossible to ignite on its own. Richard Nakka had to add near 30% Iron Oxide to it to get a propellant, and even then it requires KN (burn surface/area throat) ratios of around 1200 to build enough pressure to sustain combustion. A small pellet of this composition would most likley not create enough heat & pressure in a hybrid port for ignition.

I would strongly suggest looking at a GOX ignition system if you want to avoid all of the issues with pyrotechnics. Its a little more an investment but it will get rid of that grey area of what is an explosive & what isnt and blah blah. I find it best not to count on the good will of the authorities, as far as them agreeing with your sumation of whats an explosive & what isnt.. If you catch my drift..

I have almost finished rebuilding the ASLI 2007 system, so I wll post pics and a discription in the coming weeks.
Space is only 100km straight up, see you there :)

spacelaunch
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby spacelaunch » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:01 am

hybridhighflyer wrote:I have developed a non pyrotechnic ejection system as well.

I am working on these also. Have a very nice prototype of non-pyro poly cord cutter working.
Space is only 100km straight up, see you there :)

Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”