Happy October from BOC

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Re: Happy October from BOC

Postby cryoscum » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 am

Hi Troy

Interesting topic and just wondering about the cost-to-gain? How much is a salvaged kilo of gas worth and when do you break even after having bought the (assuming fairly pricy) freezer?

Cheers
N
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:27 am

cryoscum wrote:Hi Troy

Interesting topic and just wondering about the cost-to-gain? How much is a salvaged kilo of gas worth and when do you break even after having bought the (assuming fairly pricy) freezer?

Cheers
N

Nic, this one wasn't that expensive although I'm not intending to gain or break even from it. Although if I finish up making my own N2O, then I probably will. It's something I've been looking at for a while now and can be handy for some auxiliary applications eg. chilling elastomer stock for clean machining of special gaskets and keeping Trout fresh for eating over time (my father, like Pete Lamb enjoys his Trout fishing and I enjoy eating them, so long as they're *fresh* though). Keeping fish like this fresh over time requires -60C or below storage.

Cheers,

TP
ERG #02

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 am

you could always catch a new fish?

Seriously though, that sounds like a neat project and I look forward to hearing the results/seeing the progress of your own N2O.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:20 pm

kopius wrote:you could always catch a new fish?

That’s it! I’m not letting you bloody queenslanders anywhere near my wife when I’m negotiating such purchases :P

TP
ERG #02

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Just been informed by Norm that a D bottle from BOC is now $265 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Time to talk to Air Liquide to see if an account can be setup, until we can make it ourselves.

CS

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Outrageous!!! I just filled up last week for my previous price and I was pleasantly surprised to beat this year's round of ball gouging price rises.

TP
ERG #02

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:42 am

It sounds as though things may not be quite as bad as they seem... I spoke to Norm a few days ago, and it turns out that it may actually be a balls-up on the part of BOC. It seems they mistakenly charged him a fairly hefty delivery fee when he collected it. The actual cost of the nitrous was in the order of $180 +GST. That said, it still seems somewhat OTT. It will be interesting to see whether Air Liquide can supply nitrous, however I have a feeling that they only supply medical N2O.
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:01 am

The $100 for a D-size bottle of acetylene was a kick in the teeth, so I'm not thinking they'd be pulling any punches on any of the other gases...
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:01 am

Oh, that's OK then :lol:

fud pucker
Aviation workshop
Aviation workshop

Postby fud pucker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Troy, I've been reading this thread with interest. Did you have any success with homebrewing your own nitros?. It wouldn't appear to be to difficult based on internet information but whether it's viable on a worthwhile scale!!!!!!

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:32 am

fud pucker wrote:Troy, I've been reading this thread with interest. Did you have any success with homebrewing your own nitros?. It wouldn't appear to be to difficult based on internet information but whether it's viable on a worthwhile scale!!!!!!

No I haven't even tried yet. I agree it's probably not terribly difficult to do, although you have to keep an eye on controlling the decomposition temperature. It does help a lot having the capability to chill the N2O down to a condensed phase without pressurization. N2O's decomposition (especially catalysed decomposition from say stray organic contaminates) is very pressure dependent.
One of the reasons I've not actively pursued that area of tinkering is that BOC's N2O prices have stabilised over the last 2-3 years and there's also growing competition in that market with more and more smaller suppliers entering the market. Even Supagas (here in Melb at least) are now supplying N2O at very competitive prices and are keen to do business.

Troy
ERG #02

Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”