Micro-Hybrids

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Micro-Hybrids

Postby High Impulse » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble citizenspace but the cost to 3D print a nozzle from metal may just outweigh that of machining it from scratch... (don't hold me to it though) To 3D print something that would handle the temperature and pressures of a small hybrid engine i would imagine would require at least an SLS printer (selective laser sintering) and from what Ive seen these are only really used in commercial or research settings, plus the metal powder used is very expensive (one of the bonuses that come with making powdered metal is its high reactivity which lends itself to quite steep costs to ensure production safety...). Not saying it cant be done but it might be worth it in the long run to just wait for a lathe or such as most easily available 3D printers Ive seen are FDM which probably wont cut it.

I myself am in the same predicament though, so much rocketry very little money :(
L1: Callisto - H410VM

citizenspace
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby citizenspace » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:38 am

martymonsta wrote:Hi Citizenspace and welcome to the forum. It look like you are interested in hybrids, I first got into rocketry when i learnt that spaceship1 has a hybrid motor and that model rockets could be flown on the same motor technology. That said I've never flown a hybrid myself and just thought that I would point out that the micro hybrids are not certified and thus are research and under Tripoli a flyer would require a L2 cert to fly. That will be something that you can work towards, and keep up the enthusiasm, it's great to see.

Marty

Thanks Marty (If it's the marty I think it is, it's me Adam we met at Thunda)
I've been flying rockets for about a year now, got L1 and working on getting L2 soon. Unfortunately I think it's under AMRS, and I'm aware I need to be a Tripoli member so I'll have to look into that. But aren't those under 18 not allowed to get L2 in Tripoli?
Also, under a research flight are you allowed to fly your own solid motors? Or is it strictly just hybrid/liquid?

Also High Impulse I suspected that would be the case after finding that Shapeways's steel 3D printing (The service I was going to use) can't withstand temperatures higher then 800C. I'll have to try and see if I can use my school's equipment, although they might not be equipped with the stuff needed for metal.... Maybe a local metal shop? I don't know, I'll have to look around.
The best way to do something well is to make sure you've tried all the ways of making it fail.
NASA does it all the time with simulators :D
---

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:09 am

Your high school have a metal workshop or a lathe?

citizenspace
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby citizenspace » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:04 am

Metal workshop? No. But they do have a lathe and a few other tools that might be helpful. Problem is they've never been too... 'encouraging' when it comes to my projects. Last time I approached a science teacher to let me replicate a russian cold fusion experiment I got a hate letter about how dangerous it was despite being a really simple experiment. I'll have to ask my tech teacher though, she said I might be able to use the equipment last time I asked.
I get back to Australia (in America atm) in 2 and a half weeks. I'll see what I can do then. What is the preferred ignition method for microhybrids?
The best way to do something well is to make sure you've tried all the ways of making it fail.
---

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:36 am

citizenspace wrote:Thanks Marty (If it's the marty I think it is, it's me Adam we met at Thunda)
I've been flying rockets for about a year now, got L1 and working on getting L2 soon. Unfortunately I think it's under AMRS, and I'm aware I need to be a Tripoli member so I'll have to look into that. But aren't those under 18 not allowed to get L2 in Tripoli?
Also, under a research flight are you allowed to fly your own solid motors? Or is it strictly just hybrid/liquid?

Hey Adam. Yeah that's me, Great to see you on the forum and congratulations on a successful L1 flight. Did your rocket that got abducted by aliens ever turn back up?

Home made solid motors are a NO GO in Australia :cry: Liquid fuel motors are a NO GO everywhere I believe :cry: Hybrids are allowed.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

citizenspace
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby citizenspace » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks Marty, my granddad almost got L2 on the same day but the fibreglass fins cracked on landing :( next time though!
Damn, annoying that homemade solid motors are illegal here. Doesn't make a lot of sense either. I've seen quite a few liquid rocket motor (homemade) projects in the US, so I think it is over there.

No that rocket is still hanging out with ET somewhere, but my granddad had loved that rocket so much that he remade another one identical to it, but a lot stronger. We're working on a larger version of it now (75mm) for testing electronic recovery.
I think my granddad might be obsessed with the fins on that rocket.... it's the only fin type he wants to use :D
---

stephenc
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby stephenc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:55 pm

With model CO2 motors the motor has a small tank that is filled from device that holds the CO2 bulb. Has anyone tried a similar idea to this for NO2 rockets ?

In theory the model can have a lighter tank and can be filled with two bulbs if a larger model is being flown , or can have a small tank with very small models allowing several flights per bulb.

By buying a model CO2 motor you would have most of the bits required.

Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”