Show us your hybrid

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Show us your hybrid

Postby hybridhighflyer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:37 pm

No typing just pictures I will start with this one, QRS Tshirt included ;)

Want more photo's let me know.

Mini Hybrid - M motor

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby Sumo310 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Rattworks I90 - First ever hybrid launch at QRS, Dec 2009:
liftoffsl[1].jpg

Rattworks K350 Tribrid (Alcohol + Nitrous Oxide), January 2011, QRS
tribrid-md-Jan2011.JPG

Rattworks K350 Tribrid (Alcohol + Nitrous Oxide), June 2011, CGN Group / Tripoli WA, WWW launch
Tribrid-Perth-2011.JPG
L3

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Simon

I hardly know anything about hybrids. Could you please explain the basics of the regular ones and tribrids?

Thanks
Nic
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:21 pm

So are we 'allowed' to show of experimental gear on this forum ???

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:33 pm

strud wrote:So are we 'allowed' to show of experimental gear on this forum ???

Persuant to the Forum Rules: 15. Discussion about Experimental Rocketry
Discussion about making your own chemical products, motors, igniters or anything else relating to experimental compositions etc. maybe prohibited. Experimental Rocketry may also be described as Research Rocketry. Some forms of Research Rocketry discussion will be permitted however anything considered to be illegal by any means will not be tolerated.

As long as the posts and any related activites are not in breach of the law then there is no issues.

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Who said it was experimental

EDIT: As admin says

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Sumo310 wrote:Rattworks I90 - First ever hybrid launch at QRS, Dec 2009:

Hi Simon,

I remember that launch and did not even know it was a historic one for QRS, congratulations and thanks for paving the way for Hybrids at QRS - great stuff.

I'm pretty sure that rocket is a HyperLoc 800 / 835 ? If so, it seems to have an extension between the booster and sustainer, is that to accomodate the length of the I90 ? We have a Hyperloc and one of our motor choices is a Ratt so may need to consider this. We'll chat to you regard the Ratt / Hybrids as well.

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Rob,

It was a great flight on a HyperLOC 300. Keen eye, the yellow section was the original section, the green section was added to accommodate the long motor, you can see the motor venting where the av-bay would have sat without the extension

Nic, I don't want to clutter the thread, there is another thread floating about with tips for hybrids.

Simon
L3

cha05cat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby cha05cat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 am

Here is the video from that launch that my lovely wife took (at about 0:58).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayIoBWI2iIM

I would have to say that it was that launch in specific that hooked me on hybrids! From memory that afternoon I went home and researched hybrids further and decided to hold off until I had my L2 before playing with hybrids. Hence the reason I am now rebuilding the Weasel in a configuration ready for hybrid motors.

I had looked into hybrids a little back in 2008 when Logan first got me into rocketry, as he had told me all about what they are and how they work. But it really was a case of "see it to believe it".
TRA 12482 L2

Check out my rocketry blog here.
http://www.lmetzroth.net.au/

Check out my Photography FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/MetzyPix

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:37 am

Some of my Ex effects Hybrids in flight. 1st 2 are a 4" with metals from 10 years ago, next is a metal shower from about 5 years ago and finally is the most recent launch of my 90mm postpak hybrid from our August launch.

TP

TP
ERG #02

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:35 am

Now Troy those are some nice hybrids.

I dont like HyperTech out of personal preference as I dont see them as good of a flame and they dont have the same noise.

I will be taking my hybrids to next QRS Launch and as a Hybrid dealer (contrail) I will gladly let anyone launch one of them to have a try for free just send me ya sim. Let me know if you interested you dont need to modify your kit as long as it has electronics. Range is from 38mm-152mm let me know before hand so I can bring it.

I also intend to have a Hybrid Launch myself. Simon yes you own the crown of the first at a QRS Launch my attempt failed due to a seal issue so congrats on your launches. I would love a K drag race maybe? Maybe we can modify the ULS or when mine Is ready we can take both systems. My concern is my rockets most likely wont stay within 5k at that size so maybe if QRS gets a new launch site.

Troy where you launch them?

Where is everyone elses hybrids?

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:52 am

Troy where you launch them?

Serpentine here in Vic unless I'm launching interstate.

I should point out that my hybrids are generally designed for HPR crowd-pleasing purposes, not so much for pure performance.

TP
ERG #02

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 am

hybridhighflyer wrote:I will be taking my hybrids to next QRS Launch and as a Hybrid dealer (contrail)

I dont like HyperTech out of personal preference as I dont see them as good of a flame and they dont have the same noise.

Hi Wayne,

This is great news your now a Contrail Hybrid dealer, when will your business details be posted on their website;

http://www.contrailrockets.com/dealers.htm

I recently researched the web for Hybrids, including Contrail, and was also looking for local dealers. For me, one of the strikes against Contrail was no local Representation. This is great news to have more local dealers.

We are very lucky to have such a choice. For the Hybrid motors we are looking at (29 to 38MM) many of the Contrail options were all too fast burns versus the slower, more typical burntime (longer), of a RATT, Skyripper or HyperTech hybrid. My personal preference is a Skyripper 38/400 or RATT I80.

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:56 am

I have been a dealer some time and have stock of most of their items. I can post the email from Tom himself if needed. They dont update their website often as you may see so I dont think I will be added till I start making some serious sales (except myself). Contrail dont like advertising dealers as they themself are very good with shipping and delivery times etc.. If its in stock they send it out in 2 days and last order i made from them arrived in 6 days. Benifits to me is I get a discount which can obsorb some of the shipping costs. Only issue is Customs and GST. I am not a dealer to make money mainly to reduce costs for me and the other Aussie contrail person.

For people getting started on hybrids who want a easy transition HyperTech is what I would advise. They are easy to use but again I think they are designed to be simple. I must say Skyripper and Contrail in the low ranges (under 75mm) are designed for a more complicated build. They also are testy when launching and can hold up the range. But I still like them. My Fav about contrail is the ranges of motors they can use.

The one above called mini hybrid is a Contrail 75mm L&M they also have 3 smaller ones in the 75mm range from K motors. The contrail 98mm for me isnt really worth it so I dont stock any other than what I have for myself. I stock all the 38mm and some 54mm all are legit contrail. Some 38mm and 54mm sparky reloads are no longer made due to cost. 152mm is the O class which is one of the biggest and most impressive motors certified. I have 1 set of that however it will not be launched in Australia as its still in the USA.

Below is a photo of the 75mm set with 1 each of the reloads. (75mm is my fav set) I will warn that the value of the below can almost buy a new car.

This is kinda on topic ... sorry

Thanks

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Some little known facts about contrail.

They did the rockets for the topgear launches including the launch where they lifted the car. All this can be found on their website.

Below are some pictures and video of the above motors in action.

L-Sparkey

M Video
http://www.contrailrockets.com/Videos/TMT705/705.2.wmv

Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”