Show us your hybrid

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 1724
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW
Contact:

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby ROCKet STAR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 pm

hybridhighflyer wrote:
For people getting started on hybrids who want a easy transition HyperTech is what I would advise. They are easy to use but again I think they are designed to be simple. I must say Skyripper and Contrail in the low ranges (under 75mm) are designed for a more complicated build.


I would have to say that I completely disagree with you Wayne. I cannot comment on Contrail hybrids as I have never seen one let alone flown one, however I do own and have flown 38mm Skyripper hybrids, and I have to say they are a doddle. The nozzle and injector are the same across the range, unlike the multiple injector orifices with the Hypertek stuff. Assembly is very simple and the GSE requirements are as basic as you can get, not to mention they are fairly inexpensive. I also own a Hypertek motor which I have not flown yet because of the added complications and equipment associated with flying it.
I reckon Rob is on the money going with either a Skyripper or Rattworks hybrid.
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Well with the assumption we already have the complicated GSE and the "complicated" issues out of the way it makes it easier.

I do see your point and agree somewhat but I still think its a complicated thing for someone from AP motors to take on. As for cost well I havent factored that in too much. Contrail is only cheap when dealing with 75mm ranges and above.

I suppose like everything its all up to what you want out of a hybrid.

I will gladly show my hybrids at launches. Simon and Blake should show theirs off too.

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch
Posts: 1101
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 9:28 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby Lamp » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:37 pm

rocket_troy wrote:
Troy where you launch them?


Serpentine here in Vic unless I'm launching interstate.

I should point out that my hybrids are generally designed for HPR crowd-pleasing purposes, not so much for pure performance.

TP

And they certainly please the crowds Troy! I can still remember watching one of your hybrids which was the first high powered rocket I had seen, at the time it blew my tiny mind. :shock: I always look forward to watching your hybrids go up. :D
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

User avatar
kopius
Elle3
Elle3
Posts: 2868
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby kopius » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:39 pm

hybridhighflyer wrote:Well with the assumption we already have the complicated GSE and the "complicated" issues out of the way it makes it easier.


That makes no sense at all?!? That is like the assumption that a person who has never flown a plane before could already fly a plane and making them fly a circuit.

hybridhighflyer wrote:I will gladly show my hybrids at launches. Simon and Blake should show theirs off too.


It sounds like you are trying to make it a challenge? I would much rather fly something kewl rather than show off a static display.

Lamp wrote:And they certainly please the crowds Troy! I can still remember watching one of your hybrids which was the first high powered rocket I had seen, at the time it blew my tiny mind. :shock: I always look forward to watching your hybrids go up. :D


One of the greatest sayings EVER has come from a TP hybrid... GO BABY... KEEP GOING...GO INTO ORBIT! Now that to me is what hybrids are all about ;-) hahaha
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Hey blake,

He was saying they are more complicated as they dont have the GSE. We have the GSE so then is it not complicated as you dont have to build a GSE as he said was the reason he hasnt launched.

The show hybrids is more for a educational purpose than a challenge. I however would welcome a "hybrid day" however I would need a higher waiver than 5000ft. Most of my hybrids need 7-10k ft

User avatar
ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 1724
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW
Contact:

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby ROCKet STAR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 pm

hybridhighflyer wrote: I would need a higher waiver than 5000ft. Most of my hybrids need 7-10k ft


Wayne, I'm keen to see some photos or videos of your launches if you have any? I'd be intrested to see what the Contrail stuff looks like in flight.
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:15 pm

response sent in PM

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist
Posts: 2057
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: BRISBANE, Aus

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby Sumo310 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 pm

HAH!!!

1 x Internet High-5 will be awarded to the first guy to name the person responsible for this quote, made elsewhere on this forum:

actions speak louder than words
L3

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:19 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby RobAust » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi Wayne,

Actually, it would be good to see some of your pics to gauge the difference between the motor burn patterns of the 38 MM motors. There are a many images posted for the RATT, Skyripper and HyperTek hardware.

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Rob I have posted video's on this forum before more than once.

Hopefully at next launch you will see one launch depending on if Blake will allow it.

If you are L2 and have a rocket yourself that could fit it I will supply the motor and reload and nitrus for you to test for free. Please rocksim it first and let me know.

The only rocket I have that within the waiver is new and untested for Hybrids so I dont think will be allowed for a public launch.

I will add Alex has a Legit J contrail and reloads that I gave him.

Want to know more please discuss in PM or on the day. I will have my laptop with all videos and pictures.

User avatar
kopius
Elle3
Elle3
Posts: 2868
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby kopius » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:14 pm

hybridhighflyer wrote:Hopefully at next launch you will see one launch depending on if Blake will allow it.


It is not a question whether I will allow the motor to operate or not, it is whether the relevant RSO will approve the vehicle and all aspects associated. You still haven't said who is planning on flying it or what rocket. If on the day the said flyer does not meet the safety and/or other requirements, just like any other rocket of any makeup, it will not fly, simple as that.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:45 pm

If thats the case then safety isnt the only issue the following will be flying on a Contrail K630 sparkey.

I am 100% all safety questions with this design will be met.

Image


Engine selection
[K630-None]

Max data values:
Maximum acceleration:Vertical (y): 108.292 m/s/sHorizontal (x): 0.209 m/s/sMagnitude: 108.306 m/s/s
Maximum velocity:Vertical (y): 0.4755 Mach, Horizontal (x): 0.0026 Mach, Magnitude: 0.4757 Mach
Maximum range from launch site: 154.89474 Ft.
Maximum altitude: 3807.10169 Ft.


P: Drogue Deployed at : 15.461 Seconds
Velocity at deployment: 0.0088 Mach
Altitude at deployment: 3807.10165 Ft.
Range at deployment: -154.89474 Ft.
P: Parachute Deployed at : 42.561 Seconds
Velocity at deployment: 0.1002 Mach
Altitude at deployment: 999.97205 Ft.
Range at deployment: -77.60664 Ft.

User avatar
kopius
Elle3
Elle3
Posts: 2868
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby kopius » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:55 pm

At first glance from the details put forward I do not see this being an issue.

Who is the intended flyer?
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby hybridhighflyer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:05 am

Myself- QRS L2 attempt (dejavu ;) )

I also have that other rocket as a backup. Again as discussed if its a no I wont be upset as its a public launch.

I also have Alex who may wish to fly one of my Hybrids but thats dependant on a lot of things. The other flyer backed out as they wont be attending.

Again anyone wishing to launch as long as you and the RSO says its good I am happy to use up some of my reloads for them.

Thanks

strud
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:37 am
Location: Central Tablelands, NSW

Re: Show us your hybrid

Postby strud » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:42 am

Rattworks L600 @ WWW2011

misery_in_a_can_boost.jpg
misery_in_a_can_boost.jpg (124.61 KiB) Viewed 2017 times


Boost data from flight

L600 2011WWW_half.png


Quite happy with the value, design and quality of this motor package.

It is likely I'll fly the M900 config of this motor for my L3 attempt some time... However at 72" long it will need to be an airframe designed to suit.

CS


Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest