Lost.....

Based in the greater Melbourne region, MARS is the home of amateur rocketry in Victoria. (Not to be confused with the planet, we are much closer than the planet and operate less rovers)

Moderator: Moderators

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Lost.....

Postby lorstin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 am

On Saturday (16th) when the ejection charge went off in my rocket unfortunately more than the parachute was deployed, my datalogger parted company with the rocket also :( I found the rocket approx 30 metres south of the track between the HPR & LPR launch pads. If anyone was wandering around that area on Sunday and came across it (possibly still inside a black cardboard tube with pepsi bottle windows) could you let me know via PM. Cheers.
caveat emptor

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Lost.....

Postby lorstin » Mon May 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Not any more :shock: ...........I went up to Serpentine yesterday - the first time since I lost the datalogger (July last year). As it was early and the range wasn't set up I decided to head off and have a look for it. I simply picked a line and walked, couldn't believe my luck (or was it good management? :roll: ) within a minute or so I found it. Amazingly still in one piece despite the crop of peas having grown, been irrigated and then harvested :shock: and also suffering the elements from winter, spring and summer. I don't know yet if the electronics still work (somehow I doubt it) but to my surprise the SD card with all the data IS still OK and readable.
caveat emptor

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon May 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Nice find. A few months of relative dry conditions didn't seem to hurt my altimiters when I lost my rocket during Thunda. Not sure about nearly a year though. Surprised it didn't end up in a harvester.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Tue May 02, 2017 10:52 am

Awesome Frank good result! Glad you're able to at least get some data off the SD card.
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Happy Heyoka » Sat May 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Such a good find - I think we all walked over that area several times last season!
Not sure I hold out much hope for the electronics with the corrosion but the contacts on that SD card looked as shiny as the day it came out of the packet.
Congrats again on the L1.

"Recovery of the day" goes to Paul though - got a rocket back from last season - all crusty and cracked paint work - refurbed it and flew it that day!
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Finally got around to powering up the datalogger ( after a very minimal cleanup using metho) :shock: I wasn't expecting anything to happen BUT it did - and I don't mean a cloud of smoke :roll: To my very great surprise all the relevant LEDs blinked on and off as they should :shock: I let it run for a minute or so then powered off and removed the SD card, bunged it in the computer and hey presto - a page full of data :shock: I'll have to check the accuracy of the baro pressure sensor but it looks like it will fly again. 8)
caveat emptor

Return to “Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.”