Serpentine Oct Launch

Based in the greater Melbourne region, MARS is the home of amateur rocketry in Victoria. (Not to be confused with the planet, we are much closer than the planet and operate less rovers)

Moderator: Moderators

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Serpentine Oct Launch

Postby rocket_troy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 am

Scheduled for both Saturday the 6th and Sunday the 7th of October AND is planned to be a campout onsite for the Saturday night (for those keen campers).
Standing 10,000ft ceiling/wavier with 25,000ft windows available both days.
Onsite Toilet facilities available for this one.

We're overdue for some good weather!

More details to come next week,

Troy - Club President
http://www.tripoli.org.au
ERG #02

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Serpentine Oct Launch

Postby rocket_troy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Due to weather (again) we’ll be scheduling a launch for this Sunday only. No campout, no Saturday event. It’ll be a typical single day event this Sunday the 7th of October. Weather for Sunday is looking good, so we plan to be out there nice and early for setup to get stuck into it early.
Standing wavier for 10,000ft from 10am to 5pm with the option for 25,000ft windows for high altitude flights.

Regards,

Troy - Club President
ERG #02

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:08 pm

See you all there for my L2 attempt...

I suppose since they are running sheep now (instead of wheat) we need to make sure we don't make lamb skewers?! :)
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Fourth straight day of blue skies and lite winds in Bendigo and then this.............

Good call Troy - fingers crossed for Sunday!

OTT looking forward to seeing you nail it mate - which motor?

Anyone know if Norm is coming down again?
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:58 pm

K550W. Estimated altitude 6500' Dual deploy (uMAD/Raven2)
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

natty
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby natty » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm really looking forward to attending my first event!

See you guys there weather permitting!

Beside rockets and spares, what do you guys recommend bringing to the launch?
L3
TRA #14024
AMRS #139
MARS #26

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi natty,

Aerogaurd, sun cream, water, food (although I always forget to eat it), hat and a smile... Although once you see a HPR go up :-)
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Warm clothing, table for prepping, chair for table, warm clothing, drinks and nibbles and/or lunch, car to use as a windbreak, sense of enthusiasm, sunscreen and hat and warm clothing.

Since the site is in the middle of a wheat/sheep field it is cold, so you will need to bring warm clothing.

PS If you are susceptible to allergies some antihistamines would be a good idea.
TRA #13430
L3

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Serpentine Oct Launch

Postby Lamp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 pm

OverTheTop wrote:

K550W. Estimated altitude 6500' Dual deploy (uMAD/Raven2)

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Raptor go up on the K550, it is a nice motor.

Natty, I'll look forward to finally meeting you. What are you planning to fly?

If the weather is really going to be as forecast it might be a good day for big motors, I can see the high power pad being in big demand....especially after the last couple of launches. I might have to empty my camera cards tomorrow to get ready.
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:32 pm

jase wrote:Hi natty,

Aerogaurd, sun cream, water, food (although I always forget to eat it), hat and a smile... Although once you see a HPR go up :-)

And toilet paper!

The Serpentine site is fairly remote, so bring everything you think you'll need (food, water etc. as everyone has suggested)

And if you do forget something, I'm sure you can borrow what you need off someone else :)

Krusty

natty
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby natty » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:31 am

Lamp wrote:Natty, I'll look forward to finally meeting you. What are you planning to fly?

I'll be bringing my just completed Phoenix Missile and I'm hoping to try my reloadable motors for the first time as well. I might need some guidance on how to assemble them. I dont want my first launch to be a cato, although that would be quite memorable too :lol:

I'm so pumped!
L3
TRA #14024
AMRS #139
MARS #26

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:59 am

Have a good launch all and hope weather is going to be kind ! :D

Good luck with the L2 attempt OT, it will go fine. I will be launching my 'ol Intimidator 4 on it's 10th launch using the same motor ( K550W) the following Sunday at our "October Skies" public launch. It is a nice motor indeed. 8)

Ps. With the toilet paper....shovel might be a good addition.... :lol:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:27 pm

I dont want my first launch to be a cato,

Hi Natty. I'm sure someone will be there to give you some guidance should you need it. It can be a bit of a nervous time when assembling for the first time, but if you follow the instructions (watch out for the imperial inch sizes for the o-rings!) closely you will be ok. If you haven't got any of the recommended grease for the assembly (I forgot that my first time) someone will be able to lend you something.

RMS motors are good. No need to be scared of them! Remember to clean them as soon as practicable when done, otherwise they are a bit more of a pain to clean up. Been there, done that! Also, don't let the wind blow the little sticker away that closes off the ejection charge! A little tray or container to put all the bits in during assembly is a good idea.

I can lend you some disposable gloves and baby wipes which make the task a little more pleasant as well.
TRA #13430
L3

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:34 pm

I've got the RMS cheat-sheet printed out from the Aerotech website - has all the o-ring sizes printed to scale. I'll bring it along with me :)

Krusty

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Serpentine Oct Launch

Postby Lamp » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:18 pm

A Phoenix always looks good Natty. You should be able to find someone who will have what you need if you forget something, I will have my usual car full of stuff.

Ari, if all goes well I will launch my Competitor 3 for the 7th time but this time it will be on an L730.

Sascha, I did not know there was a cheat sheet for the hobbyline motors. I might have to get a copy.

The weather looks like it will be a bit breezy (15 - 20 km/h) early but the forecast is for it to become light later in the afternoon. At least it is forecast to be mainly sunny!

This could turn out to be a great launch after the last couple.
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Return to “Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.”