Welcome to MARS - Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.

Based in the greater Melbourne region, MARS is the home of amateur rocketry in Victoria. (Not to be confused with the planet, we are much closer than the planet and operate less rovers)

Moderator: Moderators

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Welcome to MARS - Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.

Postby martymonsta » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:48 pm

It is my great pleasure to announce the formation of the newest rocketry club in Australia, the Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc. or MARS

mars-header-logo.jpg
mars-header-logo.jpg (7.8 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

MARS is an AMRS affiliated club, so members of MARS also become regular members of Australia's premiere representative body, and can enjoy the benefits that AMRS membership brings.

MARS was formed with the purpose of providing a safe environment for the development and launching of rockets and promoting the educational and recreational benefits, of rocketry. MARS has a strong vision for the future for all aspects of amateur rocketry, in both the state of Victoria and Australia, and will work hard for the benefit of all members of the rocketry community.

In Mid-May 2016 a suitable launch site was located near the town of Drouin, which met some ideal requirements; less the 100km from Melbourne’s population centre and only 45km from the SE growth corridor, located in Class G airspace, a most-weather access road and landholders that are supportive of both educational and amateur rocketry. Following a successful demonstration launch day on June 18th, the MARS team has been working hard to secure an instrument for the launch site and building club infrastructure.

Yesterday, the 27th Oct, CASA granted MARS an instrument with a ceiling of 8000ft AMSL and preparations have commenced to hold the first official club launch on the 19th Nov 2016.

Where to find more info on MARS?

The MARS website is http://www.rocket.org.au
If you use social media and want to connect with MARS, please like or follow and more content will be added soon.

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/marsrocket

YouTube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs5Tn8Q9yIKO-QO-u2sLZOA

Instagram http://www.instagram.com/mars_rockets/

Twitter http://www.twitter.com/mars_rockets

How do I join MARS?

Visit http://www.rocket.org.au/join-mars/ there you can become a member quickly and securely, via PayPal, or alternatively download the membership form and pay via direct deposit, cheque or even cash at the next launch day.

We look forward to seeing you at a MARS launch soon. – The MARS Committee.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

natty
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Welcome to MARS - Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.

Postby natty » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:52 pm

Thats great news!!!

Well done on bringing this together and I'm looking forward to flying with you guys!

Awesome!!!
L3
TRA #14024
AMRS #139
MARS #26

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:00 pm

NICE!!!
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Awesome news Marty and big congrat's to all who made this happen ! :D

And that name...MARS.....gold..... 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Jordz
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Jordz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Congrats guys :)

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:54 pm

Excellent news, Marty! I also understand that the club will likely be flying throughout the year! Exactly what the doctor ordered!

I'm in! See you there on 19 November :)
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Sounds great. Well done to all involved putting it together. Sounds like it's going to be a great first launch.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks everyone for your support. For those that have already decided to join MARS, welcome and we look forward to flying along side you soon.

Of course AMRS members from other clubs are always welcome at MARS launches, Ari we would love to one day have Area 51 take to the skies at a MARS launch. I'm sure we could come up with some good puns about Martians and Area 51 :lol:

cryoscum wrote:Excellent news, Marty! I also understand that the club will likely be flying throughout the year! Exactly what the doctor ordered!

I'm in! See you there on 19 November :)

See you there Nic, it is always great to have a flier with your experience on the range. Yes on the "launch info" page of the website there are tentative dates for 2017 and we currently have no reasons why we can't have flying activities in every month.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Congratulations guys. I know that there must have been a huge amount of work put in to make this happen. I look forward to launching at a MARS event!
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Fantastic news, and congratulations! I saw the MARS logo on something from AusRocketry earlier this year, but couldn't find any more info at the time.

So great to have two active clubs in Melbourne. I can't get enough flying opportunities with just the one, so sign me up!
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):
2017: 2826 (55% L)
2016: 2006 (78% K)
2015: 2809 (55% L)
2014: 1565 (61% K)

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:18 pm

One question about the launch schedule - as far as I can see, every planned day is a Saturday, and the launch info page says the launches stop around midday. Apart from the desire to get to the local pub, I'm curious as to why the days finish so early. Is it a function of access to the land or the CASA instrument, or just that the whole club is made up of early-birds? :D

Saturday early mornings aren't something I'll be able to do much due to other commitments - I wouldn't be arriving until about 11, and it sounds like the fun will be almost over by then - but I'll keep an eye on the website and Twitter and see how it goes!

Also... sparkies!
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks for your interest Robin.

Raaahbin wrote:One question about the launch schedule - as far as I can see, every planned day is a Saturday, and the launch info page says the launches stop around midday. Apart from the desire to get to the local pub, I'm curious as to why the days finish so early. Is it a function of access to the land or the CASA instrument, or just that the whole club is made up of early-birds? :D

Also... sparkies!

There are multiple reasons why flying in the morning was a preference, firstly, historical weather records indicate that it is quite rare that wind speeds in the morning exceed the safety code, but as the day progresses the likelihood of the wind reaching levels that would prevent flying activities increases. Hopefully flying in the morning will reduce the probability of having to scrub due to high winds.

Also MARS has chosen to adopt a SunSmart policy, and subsequently we are endeavoring to reduce our activities at times when UV levels are at their highest. Of course over winter when UV levels are lower and with late sunrises it will probably be practical to move the launch start time slightly later in the morning and we will add that time on to end, depending on the number of flights that members are trying to achieve.

As for getting to the Pub, Karl gets really thirsty flying rockets :lol: The landholders are most helpful, and we are expecting to see them at the launches, they love sparkies almost as much as we do.

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:27 pm

At the QRS launches we always finish around lunchtime and this works very well. Certainly morning winds are light and higher altitude flights get more difficult as the day progresses. This is fairly universal, especially if you are closer to the coast (think back to your school geography lessons).
Whatever the reasons, the pub trumps all :)
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:30 pm

All makes good sense - will get there whenever I can! Really excited about extra flying opportunities... and in summer, too!

Any chance of mixing it up with a Sunday once in a while?
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:33 pm

That's awesome! Lots of work must have gone into making that happen! Congratulations guys.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

Return to “Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.”