Welcome to MARS - Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.

Based in the greater Melbourne region, MARS is the home of amateur rocketry in Victoria. (Not to be confused with the planet, we are much closer than the planet and operate less rovers)

Moderator: Moderators

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Welcome to MARS - Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.

Postby martymonsta » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Raaahbin wrote:All makes good sense - will get there whenever I can! Really excited about extra flying opportunities... and in summer, too!

Any chance of mixing it up with a Sunday once in a while?

As you can probably imagine Robin, we are working on a lot of things at the moment and yes occasional Sunday flying, more correctly two day launches, are on the cards. However this still requires more planning and as soon as details are finalized we will let everyone know.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:01 am

Hey Guys, one of my key goals in helping set up this new club was to COMPLIMENT, NOT COMPETE, with existing rocketry in Victoria. As we usually fly on a Sunday afternoon at Serpentine, it made sense for MARS to aim for Saturday launches. Also, I particularly like the QRS model, where you get there early, but if the weather is dodgy, you have the time to wait it out. And if the weather is fine, you can all go to the pub for lunch - which is great for the social side of the club. Being close to Melbourne and finishing at Midday, also means you don't lose half your weekend for a rocket event. Cheers, Karl

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:32 am

Fantastic! Now a good reason to sign up to one these 'MARS' trips all the aerospace companies are taking about ;-)

With QRS launches, keep in mind that some days we run through to 3pm or later depending on what and who is launching. Last launch we did just under 90 flights and missed the pub as we finished shorty after 2pm, but it was a lot of fun watching so many flights.

Further to that, knowing the good folk in Victoria running MARS, I am sure opportunities to hold launches at different times for legitimate special requests could be on the cards. We have a member that used to be away 6months of the year, so it was no issue to throw in an extra launch to accomodate.

For starters though, this November launch should be a great place for people to familiarise themselves with the club. If you haven't yet joined MARS or an affiliate AMRS group, this is a great time to do so. Joining will have any existing certifications (from affiliate rocketry bodies) recognised, plus you will gain access to the AMRS online educational packages and courses.

Keep an eye out for the Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge 2017 details too, with the Victorian round set to be held on 17/06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Wow awesome news. Congratulations to all involved!
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:27 pm

The more I read, the more brilliant this sounds!

kopius mentioned certification: not that I will mind at all doing it, but will I need to re-certify for level 1 and 2 to get those flying privileges with AMRS, or will Tripoli certification be recognised?

If I need to re-certify... well, it just means I'll need to plan the order of my first couple of flights accordingly. :)
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):
2019: 2189 (86% K) :)
2018: 736 (58% J) :cry:
2017: 2826 (55% L) :D
2016: 2006 (78% K) :|
2015: 2809 (55% L) :)
2014: 1565 (61% K) :|

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Raaahbin wrote:The more I read, the more brilliant this sounds!

kopius mentioned certification: not that I will mind at all doing it, but will I need to re-certify for level 1 and 2 to get those flying privileges with AMRS, or will Tripoli certification be recognised?

If I need to re-certify... well, it just means I'll need to plan the order of my first couple of flights accordingly. :)

Good question and for those who weren't aware, AMRS has a reciprocal agreement for HPR certification with TRA and other international bodies. You can read about it here: http://rocketry.org.au/amrs-and-tra-rec ... rangement/

You need to be a member for insurance coverage, but simply provide proof of your TRA certification and away you go ;-)
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Great question Robin.

As Blakesaid last November AMRS and Tripoli announced a reciprocal arrangement for HPR certification. This means that any certification level achieved under either organization is recognized by the other. Thus any current certification level you have currently achieved will be recognized by MARS and subsequently if for example you decided to Cert L3 at a MARS launch this would be recognized by TRA. You can review the announcement of this agreement here.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Great news! Any chance of posting the launch site co-ordinates so we can have a squiz on google-earth?
IAAH

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:53 pm

lorstin wrote:Great news! Any chance of posting the launch site co-ordinates so we can have a squiz on google-earth?

It's on their website
http://rocket.org.au/launch-info/
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Hey Robin, you have to come along - as I think you're the only one in Victoria who know how to use the new fancy-pants Wilson F/X Firing System we've bought. That was you LCOing at Thunda wasn't it? :-) Cheers, Karl

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:47 am

martymonsta wrote:Thanks everyone for your support. For those that have already decided to join MARS, welcome and we look forward to flying along side you soon.

Of course AMRS members from other clubs are always welcome at MARS launches, Ari we would love to one day have Area 51 take to the skies at a MARS launch. I'm sure we could come up with some good puns about Martians and Area 51 :lol:

cryoscum wrote:Excellent news, Marty! I also understand that the club will likely be flying throughout the year! Exactly what the doctor ordered!

I'm in! See you there on 19 November :)

See you there Nic, it is always great to have a flier with your experience on the range. Yes on the "launch info" page of the website there are tentative dates for 2017 and we currently have no reasons why we can't have flying activities in every month.

How are you guys looking for this month? I'd like to pop up for a squiz if that's ok?
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Hey Jase it would be brilliant to fly with you again - everyone misses you! If you're coming over we'll do all we can to get in the air in March. Marty assures me Drouin stays green most of the year, so we just need a couple of wet days (fingers crossed). But remember we only have an 7,000' ceiling, so sadly none of your famous 'M'-motor rockets. Cheers, Karl :-)

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:37 am

Missing you too buddy! 7,000ft no problem, IIRC my last few M flights were all around 6,999ft 8)

Early starts? Might have to red-eye it - any camping near by?
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Hey Jase, one of the landowners has a guesthouse he said we can use anytime. A bunch of us stayed there the night before for the inaugural launch - man what a party! :-) Let's talk the week before and work out the details... Cheers, Karl

Return to “Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.”