MARS, Dec 2016 launch

Based in the greater Melbourne region, MARS is the home of amateur rocketry in Victoria. (Not to be confused with the planet, we are much closer than the planet and operate less rovers)

Moderator: Moderators

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

MARS, Dec 2016 launch

Postby martymonsta » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:11 pm

The Melbourne Amateur Rocketry Society Inc. cordially extends an invitation to MARS & AMRS members and their invited guests to attend the range located at Drouin South, on Saturday the 10th of December for our monthly club launch.

An NOTAM will be posted with Air Services Australia and the CASA instrument permits launches of HPR up to a maximum ceiling of 8,000ft AMSL (7600ft AGL).

The range will open for operation at 8:00am and will continue through to 1:00pm. Any assistance with range setup is appreciated.

For further information please send emails to mars@rocket.org.au or check out the website http://www.rocket.org.au

UNFAVOURABLE WEATHER

If adverse weather or other conditions on the day of the launch effect the launch program, the launch will be rescheduled. If on the day of the launch, you are uncertain the launch will proceed, check this post for updates.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: MARS, Dec 2016 launch

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:12 am

See you there :D

Planning on the Apache to 5600' currently.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

FREE FREIGHT

Postby kopius » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi all, as a way to support MARS and all of the new members, Australian Rocketry is offering FREE FREIGHT for any orders for this up coming launch.

Simply place your order by midnight 04/12/2016 and select the 'pickup' option for freight. All orders will be collated and sent to a single location for the launch on Saturday 10 November.

Happy flying Victoria!!
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Just a quick update on the progress toward this weekend's launch.

The NOTAM has been posted with Air Services. This allows flights in accordance with the instrument up to 8000ft AMSL or to the cloud base below 3000ft or 1000ft below the cloud base above 3000ft. In the event that there are clouds, (this might happen) please bring some rockets that can be flown below the cloud base.

I have been asked if spectators need to be members of MARS or the AMRS to come along and watch. No, you don't need to be a member to watch, we don't even charge admission, we do ask that you make yourself known at the RSO tent so we know how many people are on the site. If you come along as a spectator and want to make a gold coin donation as a token of appreciation that would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to fly, you are required to be a member of MARS or the AMRS.

Also if anyone is planning flights on motors larger than a K impulse and/or require 1515 rail could you please contact me in advance so that I can ensure that the range is set up to accommodate your requirements.

I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Standard 1010 rail for the Apache please!

Preparing for launch...
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Yup, same here.
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:47 pm

I finally had the chance to get to this launch, and I'm so glad I did - this is exactly the club I've been waiting for (even though I didn't realise I was waiting for it)! It perfectly fills the gap between flying LPR at the local oval or MPR at a friend's farm, and the big drive for huge HPR and hybrid launches out at Serpentine. The brilliant thing about MARS (apart from the excitement of a new club and launch site) is that it's just right for someone like me flying mainly L1/L2 HPR - I don't have any rocket that will bust the 8000' ceiling, and since it's a smaller site and smaller club, it's easy to get rockets on the pad and into the air. Too many times I've gone to a Serpentine launch hoping to fly three or four (or more) rockets, only to get no more than one or two in the air in the whole day. It's nothing against how things run out at Serpentine - it's a brilliant place for folks that are flying huge rockets that take half the day to prep - but missing out on one set of launches because the pads are full, at Serpentine means losing at least an hour of the day. At MARS, I had to leave by 11:30am, but still got three HPR rockets flown - the only limit was how quickly I could get the rockets prepped and onto the pad!

I've just logged the motors burned yesterday: it's been my biggest day ever (by total impulse), burning nothing but H & I motors.

The only down side of the day? Lost my Altimeter 3. A costly little piece to go missing. :cry:

Next time, I'll see if I can break that record for impulse - break out a J motor or two... and then I'd better order myself some greens and sparkies. :mrgreen:
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):
2017: 2826 (55% L)
2016: 2006 (78% K)
2015: 2809 (55% L)
2014: 1565 (61% K)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:48 pm

It was a great launch!

I had the Apache ready to roll with a K1103 but with a predicted 5600' it would have punched a hole in the clouds that were hovering disappointingly around 3000'. It just sat there all day and then got put back in the car :(

Good to see you got so many birds in the air Raaahbin :)

Lots of launches. Quite a few visitors too!
TRA #13430
L3

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Dec. Launch Report

After the success of MARS' inaugural launch, everyone was keen to fly again in December. Over the two days leading up to the scheduled launch approximately 30mm of rain fell in the area and cold winds gusted. On Friday evening I drove out to the launch site and found that the access track is really all-weather.

Saturday morning arrived and the wind had abated and it was perfectly still, however, there was blanket cloud coverage at 3000ft. Range set up commenced and went much smoother than Nov. with the landholder having kindly slashed us clear areas that we could use as pads. Vivienne, Karl's wife, came along and cooked a BBQ breakfast which was delicious and fuelled everyone for the rocket flying to come.

After not being able to attend the Nov. launch Robin was keen to get some rockets in the air and was the first to have a rocket racked up, his PML Explorer that he calls Dumbledore which flew well on an 186H42 M. Robin would go on to fly the most impulse for the day with 1014 N/s over 3 flights.

There was a total of 15 flights - 9 LPR, 2 MPR, and 4 HPR flights. Despite the forecasts indicating that the cloud would lift and break up around midday it didn't happen and Stewart, unfortunately, had to stand down his Apache with a predicted 5600'. A couple of families who are newly interested in rocketry were in attendance and were thrilled to see rockets flying.

All in all, it was an excellent launch and everyone had a great time, which capped off a great and exciting year for MARS and rocketry in Victoria and Australia. Thank you to everyone that has signed up as MARS members, making us the fastest growing rocket club in the universe. We hope that everyone has safe and happy holidays and we look forward to seeing everyone in the new year for what will be the biggest year in Victorian rocketry ever.

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Hey Guys, it was another great launch! But some people are still adjusting to the early start, early finish... We had the first bird away by about 8.30am and the last launch was at 11.58am - one poor rocketeer turned up a bit after Midday, and everything was packed up! Although we still helped him get some LPR in the air before we all went to the pub.

But now for THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT... For the first time ever, Victoria has put its hand up to host a National launch - the AMRS 2017 National Flying Circus!!! The one weekend a year, where one club, in one State, hosts THE rocket event of the year in Australia. This year's event was the amazing 'Williams Wildfire' in WA, and 2015 was the huge 'Thunda Downunder' event in Queensland, so we have some pretty big shoes to fill! Our event is called 'MARS Attacks' and planning has already begun. If anybody wants to help out, has any ideas, or has anything they think they can contribute, please give me a yell at karl@hemco.com.au

Cheers, Karl

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Oh almost forgot the dates... 12/13th of August 2017 :-)

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:15 pm

Congrats on another great launch, wish I could have made it.
Congrats also on hosting the AMRS flying circus,
I can help out with a few launchpads with 1010 and/or a 1515 rail if needed.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

Return to “Melbourne Amateur Rocket Society Inc.”