1:1 scale V2 rocket - 14 meters tall!

Australian Rocketry's Thunda Down Under 2015

Moderator: Moderators

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Re: 1:1 scale V2 rocket - 14 meters tall!

Postby jase » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:08 am

Good question Chris, they are a bit flexible, but given the length not overly so. The scrimp (double bias weave) is 450gsm x 150mm wide, cloth 200gsm so 650gsm x both sides where the scrimp intersects... Where there are thin black lines on the drawing, they are 20mm square aluminum frames - triangles sections are good. We couldn't use heavier or more cloth without being too heavy.
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:10 pm

...of course where I say scrimp I should say scrim, and where I say scrim, I should just say double bias tape...

It's what happens when you sniff too much epoxy :oops:

http://youtu.be/c8N72t7aScY?t=1m41s

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Good stuff. I can't imagine that the velocity of the flight will be high enough that flutter will be a huge problem anyway. :)

I had another thought this morning... Everyone at thunder will want to see this fly, so you need a way of alerting them to it's launch...

I reckon you guys build one of these! :wink:
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Flutter wont be an issue, famous last words :shock:

Karlos is quite simply brilliant when it comes to massive rockets, what he can do with just foam and cardboard alone defies belief. :wink:

I haven't seen the sim but don't imagine it'll be going super fast.

Re the air raid siren, I think Blake has something special planned re sound effects 8)

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Just came across this photo, first time I have seen this img, apologise in advance if this has already been posted elsewhere.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3

Impulse:
2017: 5,973 Ns (13.14% M)
Ns 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

RedPhenix
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby RedPhenix » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Friends, Hi.

A recent thread on The (other) Rocketry Forum http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?141956-Full-Scale-V-2-Rocket-Build was started ostensibly by a 13 year old kid with big dreams to built a full scale V2.

The thread was eventually locked down. I understand and support the action. Our fellow rocketeers had drawn lines in the sand, and were getting quite hot under the collar. There were several motivations ascribed to, and interpretations put, about the Victorian V2 project, and our own Karl Hemphill. I penned the following response, before realising the thread was locked down. I include it here for the interest of the local community.

Hello Plugger and fellow posters.

Greetings from downunder. You can't talk full scale V2's without talking about Karl Hemphill and our Victorian friends who conceived, built, and flew it. [ Disclosure, Karl is one of my best mates, and I can't speak highly enough of him.]

A couple of misconceptions that require correction have appeared in this thread - about Karl and the full scale V2. Let's look deeper, and examine some of the ways I have observed that Karl works and thinks. Perhaps through this analysis, we might reveal lessons - valuable to all.

As for swearing off high power after the V2 project and only flying low power since... For those who know Karl slightly, or only by reputation, such interpretations would be easy to ascribe, and just as easily wrong. To clarify, this partly formed a joke - for bragging rights, if nothing else. If people asked the question - and they did, in droves - what motors have you flown this year Karlos?

Well there was the O25000, a C6-5, and a cluster of four A motors. Say what? Really? Really? See what I mean?

Besides, for those who know him, HPR is one aspect of Karl's repertoire - one. He just loves flying rockets, any rocket. Ever make a rocket out of a toblerone packet? What about a stack of aluminum cans? A rocket with cardboard fins? Karl has.

The point being, that while not flying high power for a while after the 1:1 V2 project, Karl was flying test beds for future large, high performance projects. A cluster of A motors on another proof of concept rocket? Several members of our club who know Karl - hey Rick- said at the time: "How much will you upscale that, Karl?"

The answer? A lot. That project continues.

BTW - we flew the 1/4 scale XFLRS 6 on the weekend on an M1830.
IMG_0420.jpg
IMG_0420.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
So much for swearing off HPR. In building and rebuilding this bird, we think we could do it for around 2/3 the weight - stronger, lighter, faster, - sexier. That is the point.

Also, one poster commented on the first flight of the 1:1 V2 in hinting that it barely got off the pad. Well, 623 feet is not nothing for a really big airframe. Also, I suggest people haven't discerned the pattern of how Karl works yet. Nor have they considered what he might be hatching next. Think of the 1:1 V2 as yet another one of Karl's proof of concept test beds - like the 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 test beds before it. Think clusters of motors to a much higher altitude on the 1:1's second flight. Now, you are starting to see the broad sweep of his vision.

Oh, and did I mention the upscale of the 1:1 V2 project Karl is pondering? Yep, larger than life. [In jest for TRF readers - well, mostly, ... err, a little bit, maybe... Hey Karl, you know how we were talking about the 2:1 the other day ...]

Perhaps it isn't the act of doing that is most important. Maybe, just maybe, there is a deeper lesson. To dream great dreams is in itself an act of courage as one great sage said. To make the dream a reality requires an unstinting application of talents and learnings, combined with dogged determination and ongoing experimentation. All the while, never losing sight of the love we have for what we do. To all those dreamers out there, dream, create, enjoy.

We learn, we innovate, we create, we craft rockets - all of us. Karl could not have led the team he did to build the 1:1 without intermediate test beds that were 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 scale models. CJ is doing the same with his sounding rocket project - shout out to you CJ. It was in those test beds that Karl laid the foundations of what became a world record rocket. I commend the poster who suggested to build up to larger scale projects. Great approach that has proven successful in the past, and will continue to do so.

Karl and CJ's approach to incremental test beds teach us lessons about how to forge great dreams into reality. I commend their approaches to all of us.

For our readers here on THE rocketry forum:

By The Way: Karl's attempt to obscure the RAG rocketry logo, from the flight will do little good.
IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
. While he will claim that he was repairing a breach in the airframe, pay him no mind. We know better. So to clarify one more misconception, it was Karl's Rocketry, and Aeronautics Projects in partnership with Rough as Guts (RAG) Rocketry that launched the XFLRS 6. :D

Cheers
Noel

Return to “Thunda Down Under 2015”