Southern Cross Rocketry's Fly It / Take It event

Australian Rocketry's Thunda Down Under 2015

Moderator: Moderators

SCR
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Southern Cross Rocketry's Fly It / Take It event

Postby SCR » Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Southern Cross Rocketry is proud to announce the Fly It / Take It event at Thunda Down Under 2015. This is an activity to involve young people and first-time flyers of all ages at Thunda Down Under by giving them a chance to fly a rocket for free, and then keep the rocket.

With the support of Southern Cross Rocketry, we want to provide an event that will at least get people flying model rockets, and hopefully keep them flying!

For more information, check out: http://thunda.com.au/rocketry-informati ... t-take-it/
Southern Cross Rocketry
Manufacturer of model rocket kits, motors, and components, taking rocketry to new heights.
http://www.scrocketry.com

matthew
Cairns...no where near that

Re: Southern Cross Rocketry's Fly It / Take It event

Postby matthew » Sat May 24, 2014 9:38 pm

Very cool!
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon May 26, 2014 6:25 pm

This is fantastic Blake...great stuff ! :D
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Mon May 26, 2014 6:43 pm

Nice one Blake! I will be sending my twin brother along - he wants a free rocket :-)

matthew

Postby matthew » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:22 pm

How are everyone's FI/TI builds coming along? I just need to finish paint on one, and make a couple of parachutes for the two I have. I'm on call for the long weekend so will be staying home. Hopefully should get them done and dusted including swing tests. I was wondering if I should attach a tag or something regarding recommended motors?
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:41 am

Will the kids get to have their own drag race? Could be quite entertaining
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Ptommy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54 pm

My FITI rockets are all done, with the exception of maybe a MIrrabooka kit that will be waiting for me there. :) But then, I've had these done since NARAM this past summer, so I cheated. ;)

I'm eager to see how well this goes, though I'm concerned that charging for spectators could keep some people away.
PTommy/Tom

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:35 am

I disagree that the spectator registration fee of $5-$10 will scare people away - if anything I think it is too low. I am one flyer, but will be bringing 5 other friends and family, who will use facilities (toilets, etc.) just the same as me.
If people are prepared to make the long expensive trip to Westmar, I don't think a few bucks for entrance to the event is likely to worry them - think what you pay for a music festival these days!
Cheers, Karl H

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:48 am

My thoughts are pretty much the same as yours, Karl. I'll have a couple of tag alongs with me too and I don't think they are worried about a small
fee. Given the expenses associated with the event, I think $10 is very reasonable. I think you would struggle to find anywhere else you could camp for four days, with facilities, for such a small fee.
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Also agreed. Besides, at events like Balls, everybody must register and everybody pays. After travelling across the country, or in fact the world, the registration fee is irrelevant at best...
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:44 pm

cryoscum wrote:Also agreed. Besides, at events like Balls, everybody must register and everybody pays. After travelling across the country, or in fact the world, the registration fee is irrelevant at best...

Yep, I did not fly at Balls but still had to pay the registration fee, which I had no objection to at all and which I gladly paid. To put it into a bit of perspective, on Sunday I'll be paying the $50 entrance fee to watch classic motorcycles race around the Phillip Island circuit for the day...

Also back to the thread, this is a great initiative Blake. Hats off to all involved! :D
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Ptommy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Well, I must say that I've never been to BALLS, though I've been to other Tripoli launches. I never pay a fee to spectate, and at many launches I can fly low power for free too. Money is a barrier to entering the hobby, and getting people started in it is certainly an NAR mission.

But I guess on the flip side, not many people would make a 4.5hr drive to see rockets fly, then drive back again in the same day. I know I don't do that for my 5hr drive to Geneseo New York to fly rockets there. So it's good to know that "the locals" are okay with the fee. :)

In the mean time, I'm trying to see how many FITI rockets I can fit in around my V2 and other larger rockets I'm bringing.
Tom

MrEMan
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby MrEMan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:41 pm

My kids will love this. They haven't seen a rocket in about 6 and a half years and even then they were so small they wouldn't remember.

We'll be driving at least 17 hours over the previous week to get there so the $35 fee for two adults and 3 plus one under 3 children is nothing.

Regards

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Ptommy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:00 am

I encourage anything that will help the new/young rocketeer with the model. I love to see what the MASA section (Minnesota) does, with a paper rolled up and stuck in the motor opening, with everything from the suggested engines (remember that it calls for A/B/C 18mm engines), to the builders name and email, the name or background on the rocket, whether it's scratch-built or not, the glue used... any and all kinds of information. It's what ever the builder wants to add.

I've added a NAR logo to the rockets I'll be donating, so unless anyone there does that, the new owners will know it came from the USA.
Tom

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:56 am

Nice touch Tom :-) I will make a mention that there is a lucky few who will get a rocket built from the homeland of NASA and SpaceX etc. thanks to the biggest rocketry organisation in the world.

Looking forward to having you here!
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Return to “Thunda Down Under 2015”