Weather or Not

Australian Rocketry's Thunda Down Under 2015

Moderator: Moderators

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Weather or Not

Postby Ptommy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:05 am

I know someone asked earlier about the weather that we can expect, but it was in another thread. What should we be ready for in terms of clothing? Travelling from PA, USA, I don't want to bring useless stuff, nor do I want to bring more luggage that I can get away with!

My usual attire for a launch is a Hawaiian shirt and shorts, sneakers and a sunblock hat. Sometimes a fishing shirt so I have all those pockets!
Thanks!
Tom Ha

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Weather or Not

Postby martymonsta » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:05 am

Here is a link to the nearest weather station to the launch site I could find.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_043035.shtml

It is 100 odd km NW of the launch site but it will give you an idea what the weather might be like.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:13 am

Hmm. Queensland. The advertisements say "Beautiful one day, perfect the next".

Given it is March it is probably going to be a little wet, probably a short shower occasionally. It will be quite warm. My comments are based more on coastal areas of Qld rather than inland where we will be launching.

The sun will be very intense so sunglasses, wide-brim hat (buy a Stockman's hat down here for a souvenir!) and 50+ sunscreen are a must!

I have been in the outback at 53degC (127degF) so things can get warm inland at times! Hopefully you won't get that toasty :D

Hopefully others' who have launched there can provide more specific info for you.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Stewart
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Stewart » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:50 pm

This site gives about as much info as can be found :- http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/s ... e&lc=41521
QRS#85
TRA#13049 L2

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 am

Hi Ptommy

We fly at the site regularly and have also flown there at the intended time of year (March). That area hardly ever gets long periods of rain, so if a shower hits (unlikely, it's a dry area of the country) it'll be over quickly. In fact, we have never had a launch adversely affected by weather (rain, cloud etc) in the 4 or so years that the site has been used for rocketry. I remember one day in Sept where we were worried about cloud cover, but it had cleared by the time the waiver opened...

Daytime temps vary from mid-20's (C) to early 30's (i.e. 77 to maybe 90F). I think the BOM (your NOAA equivalent) would confirm this. Light breezes only & usually clear of haze. Perfect rocketry weather. Night times can get chilly (no cloud & semi-arid region), but not severe at all - mid-50's at worst. Black Rock gets much colder at night.

Hope that helps :) Looking forward to seeing you there!

Cheers
Nic
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Ptommy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:36 pm

[quote=
The sun will be very intense so sunglasses, wide-brim hat (buy a Stockman's hat down here for a souvenir!) and 50+ sunscreen are a must!

I have been in the outback at 53degC (127degF) so things can get warm inland at times! Hopefully you won't get that toasty :D

Hopefully others' who have launched there can provide more specific info for you.[/quote]

I actually bought a hat made in Australia and have worn it quite a bit here. The styling appealed to me. Of course, the NAR sunblock hat is my favorite.
Tom/Ptommy

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Ptommy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Thanks everyone! Sounds a lot like the high desert here in the USA, including the location of the last NARAM in Colorado. Moderately hot during the day and not too cool (for me, my wife is another story) at night. Really looking forward to this adventure! Registered for the event, now for a place to stay and plane tickets...
Tom/PT

Maxtout
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Maxtout » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:34 pm

I have been using Elders weather site to provide some easy to observe supporting weather info. Will also show what temperatures you can expect now.

May give a reasonable idea of short term weather forecast at places (weather stations) nearby (Goondiwindi and St George - within 120km).

Am I right in thinking that it's looking very good for Thunda? Some rain previously in the area from the recent cyclone but nothing heavy or flooding.

Also good for sunrise/sunset/moon phase etc

http://www.eldersweather.com.au/qld/dar ... ns/westmar

Other sites exist - and I guess they all use the same source of information, but the elders seems to be easier for me to digest

e.g. http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/darling-downs/westmar

Their 28 day forecast is also showing good weather - but long range weather is a very dark art.

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi,

I just stumbled across AccuWeather.com which has a long range forecasts for the "Kinkora" weather station, which is located approximately 15km (9 miles) from the launch site.

Here's a link to the forecast for March 2015:

There's a dark blue button in the top-right corner for the webpage for overseas guests to view temperatures in fahrenheit.

Bye,
Mike

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Looking good gents 8)
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:23 pm

As we all know weather is the key to our launches......looking good and makes me feel :D

See you all good people there...... 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “Thunda Down Under 2015”