Where to Find, What to Bring!?!

Australian Rocketry's Thunda Down Under 2015

Moderator: Moderators

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Where to Find, What to Bring!?!

Postby Ptommy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:00 am

Anyone know the best place to buy souvenirs for travel home? Stuffed animals, pins, bottle-openers (yah!)? Anyone know of something unusual to bring back (that's legal!)? Don't know that a taxidermy-alligator would really go with the home decor... but maybe some emu meat packed in dry-ice...

And on the flip side, is there anything that comes from the USA that I can bring down under that Aussies would appreciate having? First trip overseas, and I don't want to miss out on anything that would make the trip more fun! And don't tell me more rocket motors or something, I can't help with that, and I don't want to steal Blake's "thunder" either! :)

I've got all this stuff to bring along that I need to take back, like reload hardware and rockets, but I've got room to bring some extras along.
Thanks! PTommy/Tom

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Where to Find, What to Bring!?!

Postby ROCKet STAR » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi Tom,

You'll have no trouble finding souvenirs. You'll find dozens of souvenir shops in every city. I guess the obligatory "must have" would be a boomerang, however whenever I travel back to the UK to visit friends and family, I usually take a few of these with me, as they always go down well...

Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Chris is on the money, the main centre of Brisbane has plenty of souvenir shops along the length of the Queen Street Mall.

If beer coolers are your thing, the Westmar roadhouse / pub has coolers, as will various stops along the way.

Just to follow on from the kangaroo theme....

Cheers,
Simon
L3

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Don't know that a taxidermy-alligator would really go with the home decor...

We have a stuffed croc called "Clawed" sitting under our TV. He goes quite well with our decor!
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Ptommy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:24 pm

I love them all! Much better than the can of sunshine that was sold to thousands of tourists when I lived in South Florida. The tourist would eventually open the can, to find the inside spray-painted yellow or orange! (hope I didn't spoil y'alls cans of sunshine!)

Hadn't thought of roo scrotums, but there must be a lot available considering all the roadkill...
PerfectTommy

Duck Lucker
Born to do it!
Born to do it!

Postby Duck Lucker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:18 am

We found souvenirs hard to decide on. Plenty of Aussie ball sacks available but in the end we settled on shot glasses as easy to transport and visiting the local markets to find home grown products.

matthew
Cairns...no where near that
Cairns...no where near that

Postby matthew » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Can't go past a couple of Drizabones - oilskin coats. http://www.drizabone.com.au/the-range/t ... l-oilskin/

I think you said you're coming to Cairns. There's no end of souvenir stores here..
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

Ptommy
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Ptommy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:11 am

Guess they'll get some business from us! I'm still curious what might be considered a delicacy or something you've eaten either in America or from America that can't be found Down Under. I know I found the "true Philly" cheesesteak to be terrible in Colorado, but Colorado buffalo jerky can't be found here in Pennsylvania. And I always get my Chukar dried strawberries when I visit my brother in Seattle (this month!)

Also what's good for us is the 28% savings right now in the exchange rate! More rocket engines for us! :)
Tom

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:09 am

Just be careful about bringing any food to Oz. Customs is pretty strict as to what is allowed and what is not. If you do bring any food make sure you declare it to avoid a fine.

Here are some more details:
http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/cant-take
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:38 am

You should give witchetty grubs a go whilst you are down here:
0UNbchwcco5atpzm00VxIRPXo1_500.jpg
0UNbchwcco5atpzm00VxIRPXo1_500.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 1992 times

http://tasteaustralia.biz/bushfood/nati ... hetty-grub

They taste quite nice, even better than escargot I have eaten.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Return to “Thunda Down Under 2015”