AMRS and TRA Reciprocal Arrangement

The Australian Model Rocket Society Inc. (AMRS) is Australia's premiere representative body for rocketry which advocates for its various member groups and exists to serve the broader rocketry community.

Moderator: Moderators

AMRS Executive
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

AMRS and TRA Reciprocal Arrangement

Postby AMRS Executive » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:05 am

The Australian Model Rocket Society Inc. (AMRS) is pleased to announce a new reciprocal arrangement with the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA). The new arrangement will see the recognition of High Power Rocketry (HPR) Certifications completed under AMRS and TRA mutually recognised.

A few compliance caveats exist as per the below:
- Both AMRS and TRA hold independent insurance which is only valid for their respective countries and events.
- Participants must be a member of the respective organisation to fly.
- Certifying officials may only certify members from their respective organisation.

This agreement has been the result of significant discussions and meetings by both organisations.
The AMRS welcomes the participation from TRA members in Australia and looks forward to growing the international presence of both organisations.

Dave Couzens
Chancellor - AMRS

You can see the official media release here: http://rocketry.org.au/amrs-and-tra-rec ... rangement/

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Re: AMRS and TRA Reciprocal Arrangement

Postby CATO » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi AMRS,

This is great news, thanks for all the effort that I'm sure many individuals have put into this agreement.

Just so I'm clear on this, if I want to launch in Australia and be covered by insurance I need to be a AMRS member, and the same is true for TRA insurance if I choose to launch in the U.S. ?
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Very nicely done!
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:55 am

Great news ! :D
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:57 am

This is excellent news. Great work by all the AMRS committee members that worked so hard to make this agreement happen.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:14 am

I apologize for the long overdue update, but Tripoli insurance is effective in Australia to the same limits as the United States. For a list of those limits see the FAQs page:
http://www.tripoli.org/InsuranceFAQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve Shannon, P.E.
President, Tripoli Rocketry Association

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks Steve,

Just to clarify, this insurance is only valid at Tripoli specific launches. Unfortunately it doesn't meet Australian requirements which is why the AMRS holds a very specific policy, however it is good to know that there is something in place.

Steve, it would be great to see you post more on the forum. Have you made plans to come down to Thunda Down Under in April 2019?
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:42 pm

kopius wrote:Thanks Steve,

Just to clarify, this insurance is only valid at Tripoli specific launches. Unfortunately it doesn't meet Australian requirements which is why the AMRS holds a very specific policy, however it is good to know that there is something in place.

Steve, it would be great to see you post more on the forum. Have you made plans to come down to Thunda Down Under in April 2019?

Thank you, that’s a good clarification.
I check here from time to time, but I don’t do many original posts except on the Tripoli Forum. I’m happy to respond to things though when I know about them. I’m pretty sure I spend too much time on social media as is.
I’d like to attend Thunda Down Under. My wife and I took our first overseas trip (to France) since 1992 this June, which was significant because she is in a wheelchair and we weren’t sure how that would work. We’re more confident that we can travel as a result but as you know the flight to Australia is longer. This year we broke up the trip by traveling to NYC first and decompressing for three days before traveling to France. We had a similar decompression stage returning. If I can figure out how to include that stage in a trip to Australia I’d enjoy coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve Shannon, P.E.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:04 pm

That's great you were able to take a trip.

Slightly longer legs, but there are a bunch of stops you can do e.g. Hawaii, Asia, Fiji etc. plenty of opportunity for small intermediate holidays.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:17 am

kopius wrote:.....Just to clarify, this insurance is only valid at Tripoli specific launches. Unfortunately it doesn't meet Australian requirements which is why the AMRS holds a very specific policy, however it is good to know that there is something in place......

What exactly are Australian requirements?
caveat emptor :?

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:22 am

lorstin wrote:
kopius wrote:.....Just to clarify, this insurance is only valid at Tripoli specific launches. Unfortunately it doesn't meet Australian requirements which is why the AMRS holds a very specific policy, however it is good to know that there is something in place......

What exactly are Australian requirements?

I don’t know. Is it a government minimum requirement, a landowner requirement, or what? The term “Australian Requirements” sounds like a government requirement to me, but like I said, I don’t know.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:59 am

Steve Shannon wrote:I don’t know. Is it a government minimum requirement, a landowner requirement, or what? The term “Australian Requirements” sounds like a government requirement to me, but like I said, I don’t know.

Hi Steve,

Good to here from you..... I'm posting a reply here as my PM functionality is not currently working.

I think that this was more a question for the AMRS committee to answer.

To answer the question (to the best of my knowledge, and others will correct me I'm sure), that most if not all councils and government departments in Australia require a minimum of A$20 mio insurance. If you're launching on private lands then that's potentially a difference story. The club that I'm a member of "NSWRA" launches on public land thus council regulations apply.

To quote a local councils requirements...
"All activities on Council facilities, including but not limited to Community Halls and Sporting Grounds, are required to be covered by Public Liability Insurance to the value of $20 million. Evidence of insurance coverage must be provided at the time of booking."

Regards,
David
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:35 am

CATO wrote:
Steve Shannon wrote:I don’t know. Is it a government minimum requirement, a landowner requirement, or what? The term “Australian Requirements” sounds like a government requirement to me, but like I said, I don’t know.

Hi Steve,

Good to here from you..... I'm posting a reply here as my PM functionality is not currently working.

I think that this was more a question for the AMRS committee to answer.

To answer the question (to the best of my knowledge, and others will correct me I'm sure), that most if not all councils and government departments in Australia require a minimum of A$20 mio insurance. If you're launching on private lands then that's potentially a difference story. The club that I'm a member of "NSWRA" launches on public land thus council regulations apply.

To quote a local councils requirements...
"All activities on Council facilities, including but not limited to Community Halls and Sporting Grounds, are required to be covered by Public Liability Insurance to the value of $20 million. Evidence of insurance coverage must be provided at the time of booking."

Regards,
David

I agree. That’s not something I could hope to become expert in, but it is the kind of thing I need to know! Thank you!!
Can you provide me a link to that?

Steve Shannon, P.E.

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:59 am

Hi Steven,

Reply posted here as my PM function is not working...

I'm no expert, and there are others that could easily answer this question better than I, but if you perform a search for public liability insurance for Australia you will find many examples, it appears that you can't even get out of bed without without this insurance.... :shock:

Typically public liability cover is available in either $5million, $10million and $20million. Councils and government departments are already insisting on a minimum $20,000,000 limit.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/associations-and-co-operatives/associations/starting-an-association/insurance
The Associations Incorporation Act 2009 does not require associations to take out and maintain any specific type of insurance.
However, as an association must comply with any relevant State and Commonwealth legislation applicable to its operations, an association may be required to hold insurance under other applicable legislation.

Examples:
The Wireless Institute of Australia Limited (Ham Radio Operators)
http://www.wia.org.au/members/clubs/insurance/documents/2381302Liability%20Schedule%202017%2020m.pdf

Soap and Candle Making
https://abcountrywide.com.au/industries/soap-and-candle-making/

Australian Philatelic Federation (Stamp Collecting)
http://apf.org.au/insurance/

Model Aeronautical Association of Australia (Model Aeroplane)
https://www.maaa.asn.au/images/pdfs/insurance/COC-MAAA.PDF

Bee Keepers ($30,000,000)
https://www.beekeepers.asn.au/s/Liability-Insurance-Summary-of-Cover-2017-2018.pdf

Logan QLD event insurance
https://www.logan.qld.gov.au/facilities-and-recreation/parks/holding-an-event
Council is to be indemnified against any responsibility for any circumstance that may occur in relation to, or as a result of, the event. The operator must have current public liability insurance to the value of $20 million, unless otherwise approved by Council. A copy of a Certificate of Currency for public liability insurance to the value of $20 million, indemnifying Council, is required to be provided to Council together with evidence that the premium has been paid.

It goes on....
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:

Steve Shannon
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Steve Shannon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:10 pm

CATO wrote:Hi Steven,

Reply posted here as my PM function is not working...

I'm no expert, and there are others that could easily answer this question better than I, but if you perform a search for public liability insurance for Australia you will find many examples, it appears that you can't even get out of bed without without this insurance.... :shock:

Typically public liability cover is available in either $5million, $10million and $20million. Councils and government departments are already insisting on a minimum $20,000,000 limit.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/associations-and-co-operatives/associations/starting-an-association/insurance
The Associations Incorporation Act 2009 does not require associations to take out and maintain any specific type of insurance.
However, as an association must comply with any relevant State and Commonwealth legislation applicable to its operations, an association may be required to hold insurance under other applicable legislation.

Examples:
The Wireless Institute of Australia Limited (Ham Radio Operators)
http://www.wia.org.au/members/clubs/insurance/documents/2381302Liability%20Schedule%202017%2020m.pdf

Soap and Candle Making
https://abcountrywide.com.au/industries/soap-and-candle-making/

Australian Philatelic Federation (Stamp Collecting)
http://apf.org.au/insurance/

Model Aeronautical Association of Australia (Model Aeroplane)
https://www.maaa.asn.au/images/pdfs/insurance/COC-MAAA.PDF

Bee Keepers ($30,000,000)
https://www.beekeepers.asn.au/s/Liability-Insurance-Summary-of-Cover-2017-2018.pdf

Logan QLD event insurance
https://www.logan.qld.gov.au/facilities-and-recreation/parks/holding-an-event
Council is to be indemnified against any responsibility for any circumstance that may occur in relation to, or as a result of, the event. The operator must have current public liability insurance to the value of $20 million, unless otherwise approved by Council. A copy of a Certificate of Currency for public liability insurance to the value of $20 million, indemnifying Council, is required to be provided to Council together with evidence that the premium has been paid.

It goes on....

Wow, that’s very helpful. I couldn’t get into the Ham Radio Operators site, but all the others are very interesting. I’ll pass this along to our insurance person. That’s much higher than what we currently do.
Thanks again for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve Shannon, P.E.

Return to “Australian Model Rocket Society”