AMRS Announces 2 New Committees

The Australian Model Rocket Society Inc. (AMRS) is Australia's premiere representative body for rocketry which advocates for its various member groups and exists to serve the broader rocketry community.

Moderator: Moderators

AMRS Executive
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

AMRS Announces 2 New Committees

Postby AMRS Executive » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:12 pm

The AMRS executive is pleased to announce the appointment of two new committees and their respective chairs.

The Technical Advisory Group (TAG) is chaired by Mr Nic Lottering and is charged with the development and administration of certification procedures, High Altitude Launch reviews & practices and any other matter which may be considered of a technical nature.

Nic's experience in the construction & flights of extreme rockets brings a level of expertise second to none.
I look forward to the input from the TAG forming AMRS policies into the future.

Nic has convened a panel of Certification Officers (CO) & Advanced Certification Officers (ACO) to administer the certification protocols to AMRS members wishing to advance.

A set of criteria for appointment as a CO or ACO has been adopted and is as follows:

1) Must be an AMRS member in good standing
2) The CO must have attained at least L2 certification
3) The CO must have completed the RSO/LCO course
4) The CO must hold the relevant statutory license within their jurisdiction

An ACO must
1) Be an AMRS member in good standing
2) Be certified to L3
3) Meet points 3 & 4 of the CO requirements
4) Be nominated by two CO’s and approved by majority vote of executive committee
5) Provide a resume which details their competency to act as an ACO
6) Have acted in a position of CO for a minimum of two year

A CO or ACO can only be appointed by the executive committee

The current list of CO & ACO's is:

QLD

Blake Nikolic – ACO
Simon Liebke - ACO

WA

Dave Couzens – ACO

NSW

David Bell – CO
Chris Barnes – CO

VIC

Karl Hemphill – ACO

NSW/VIC/ QLD

Nic Lottering – ACO

The Records & Competition Committee is chaired by Mr Matthew Small and is charged with the formation of rules for setting records and the administration of the same.

Matthew recently certified to level 3 and has expressed a desire to be involved in some way to further the advancement of the AMRS.

Matthew has convened a panel to assist with the formation of web pages, administrative processes and recommendations for the executive to consider. At this stage the committee consists of two members.

Matthew Small & Andrew Hamilton make up the current committee, with a further appointment to follow soon.

The AMRS executive welcomes all of the committee members to the administrative team and thanks them for their contribution.

Dave Couzens
Chancellor - AMRS

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Re: AMRS Announces 2 New Committees

Postby martymonsta » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:55 pm

This is really exciting news. Great work to all those that are part of the AMRS committees, it is really great to be a member of an organization that is so clearly advancing and working to strengthen all aspects of the hobby throughout Australia.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:56 am

Nice, thanks for stepping in guys
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

matthew
Cairns...no where near that

Postby matthew » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:03 pm

martymonsta wrote:This is really exciting news.

It's how I feel, too. Scoop's talk at Thunda really had me thinking about what we've got going here in Australia. I also got to thinking after wrapping up the thread about my MD flight that if we'd thought about it sooner, possibly many of us could be current AMRS impulse class record holders following Thunda. OTT's ~22k L, drew's ~17k J, etc. I contacted the Exec a couple of weeks ago about rules and well, here I am. :)

The AMRS Records policy and web pages are under development. Until they're released, please follow the TRA rules in the interim. Submit the paperwork to the CO or ACO, who will take care of it from there. If you need any clarification, please contact anyone on the AMRS Records Committee.

SpaceManMat wrote:Nice, thanks for stepping in guys

Heh, we'll get to look at some cool flight data. It's not something I'll consider a chore. :mrgreen:
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Hey Matt, I checked out the records page at AMRS and had the thought "why do we only keep altitude records? Why not speed and size or even max Gs?" I think that is especially important that projects such as the V2 make their way into an official record book somewhere.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

AMRS Executive
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby AMRS Executive » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:21 am

SpaceManMat wrote:Why not speed and size or even max Gs?" I think that is especially important that projects such as the V2 make their way into an official record book somewhere.

Good point,

The Competition & Records committee are working on a number of items for submission to the Executive Committee, with one suggestion being a "Speed Board"

The Executive Committee believes this to be of merit and will consider the submission accordingly. Your suggestion that the V2 should be recognized in an official capacity also bears merit and is currently being considered into where it fits best.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming as listening to our members is the only way to grow.

Dave Couzens
Chancellor

matthew

Postby matthew » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Mat, thanks for the suggestions.

Just to echo Dave's post, drew and I are already talking about how to expand the records page to include additional things. The trick is to make it interesting, inclusive, and fair. To add to your own suggestions, we also have the Chancellor's Challenge set for ARTDU2018. Within the spirit of that, it could be interesting to also take note of International fliers and their special achievements at AMRS launches.

And just a reminder to AMRS members, there's quite a few unclaimed records going begging.. ;)
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

AMRS Executive
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby AMRS Executive » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:02 am

The AMRS Executive is pleased to announce the appointment of the third member to the Records & Competition committee as Chris Barnes from NSW.

Chris brings a wealth of experience to the team and will be a most valuable asset in the ongoing work being undertaken to provide a platform for AMRS members to have their name against a National record for a specific class.

I look forward to working with Chris and the team further.

Dave Couzens
Chancellor

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:38 pm

This question is probably for Matt, Andrew or Chris.

What are the rules regarding records? Eg. Can the angle/trigonometry method of calculating apogee be used for small low power flights. What altimeters are approved? Do we need to have on board GPS data for flights above XX,000 ft AGL, and if so what GPS devices are accepted? How is the record to be verified, AMRS CO or ACO on the day? Does it need to be at a AMRS organized launch? All of that kinda stuff.

NAR has an interesting system that has records for 3 age brackets 7-13, 14-18, 19 and up. I think this is good for LPR and MPR as it would mean that kids could hold a record without having to compete against adults.

Marty
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Return to “Australian Model Rocket Society”