Any experiences with checked in airline luggage - rocket and AV bay

Moderator: Moderators

RichardPerth
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Any experiences with checked in airline luggage - rocket and AV bay

Postby RichardPerth » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi everybody,

Will be attending Thunda 2019 with another rocketeer from Perth - look out for some weird outfits.

I'm going to bring my L-capable dual deploy disassembled in a suitcase - no batteries installed of course, but I reckon any X-ray operator scanning the baggage would go pretty nuts over the look of the AV bay. Dual altimeter, dual switch, lots of wires etc.

I'll be printing out my Thunda 2019 receipt and a bit of event information to put into the case plus my contact details, and getting to the airport nice and early.

Has anybody had any experience with the best way to announce this to the airlines/check in? Virgin's call centre said "just present it to the check-in staff".

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: Any experiences with checked in airline luggage - rocket and AV bay

Postby kopius » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:47 pm

True rocketeer question ;-)

So the simple answer if you are checking oversize luggage is you have ‘model aircraft’. There is no fuel and even if flown before, the residue would be inert. The critics thing is to NOT be arrogant and try to broadcast heavily it is a rocket u less you want the extra questions. Do not lie, just simply give them enough info to have them check it.

If it fits in your regular luggage, no one will care.

If you are taking it on as carry on, them as long as it is compliant with the Suzi g you should be fine. I would advise against trying to carry on motor cases though as they look like metal wacking sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

RichardPerth
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby RichardPerth » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 am

Thanks Kopius.

Definitely check-in, not oversized - regular check-in (hold) luggage.

My L2 certification attempt awaits me in Qld! 3.9" (98mm) dual deploy, dual altimeter. Look out for the Gold and Black main chute if L motor delivery goes as planned from AusRocketry.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 am

RichardPerth wrote:My L2 certification attempt awaits me in Qld! 3.9" (98mm) dual deploy, dual altimeter. Look out for the Gold and Black main chute if L motor delivery goes as planned from AusRocketry.

What’s the proposed motor?

QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 am

Also, unless they have changed what gets detected, when you fly back do not worry about black powder or AP residue on your clothes if you get the explosives scan thing. Some years ago I was scanned after a launch in WA, I was sure the alarms would go off...but nothing. The security guy told me they are not looking for traces of these materials. :wink:
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

RainierWolfcastle
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby RainierWolfcastle » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 pm

I just took the lower half of my V2 on as carry on with qantas. Be prepared to explain that it’s a model with no fuel or functioning parts on board and you should be fine. Nose cone and an amraam went in checked baggage without a question. Just make sure any LIPOs are removed and taken in carry on. Image

- Ben

AMRS #174 L2
WARS #037

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

RichardPerth
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby RichardPerth » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks all for the feedback... checked in luggage will have two AV bays (disassembled, no batteries).

kopius wrote:What’s the proposed motor?

Aerotech L1000W 54mm - won't get past Mach 1, but I will be trying with an M later this year to do so!

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am

Sitting in Perth waiting for my flight to Brisbane. I've checked one rocket, the other (minus nose cone) is sitting beside me at the gate as a carry on. Security didn't even ask about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

Return to “Thunda Down Under 2019”