New builds and bits

Rocketry that will literally wet the appetite

Moderator: Moderators

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

New builds and bits

Postby kitestring » Wed May 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Gday, been a while since I did any water rocketry. Thought I'd have another crack and build some new simple ones.
I found a few new resources to use which may come in handy.

Rubber Seals to use in tornado couplers. I stumbled on these from McGregors Orings and washers. They are a perfect fit. No other seal fits like these. George from Aircommand (http://www.aircommandrockets.com/)makes his own, but if you are not up for that, these work really well. Hard to find though. Manufactured in NZ. They were available in Masters, but they have closed down.

A 75mm diameter bottle. I like these as they produce a slim rocket profile although the payload area is a little difficult to manage.

I use a tommy timer system as per http://www.raketfuedrockets.com/en.
Fins are based on George's design. I bit the bullet and imported tubes of PL premium glue this time around.
Am looking forward to getting out on the range in June/July. Couple of pics attached.
cheers Jeremy

IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG (115.04 KiB) Viewed 225 times

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: New builds and bits

Postby air.command » Wed May 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi Jeremy, glad to hear you are back to building water rockets. The rocket are looking awesome. Thanks for the info on those bottles, I will definitely have to look out for those, as a lot of them these days tend to be shaped. They look like a good size too. What kind of a thread is on these bottles? Is it the older bigger one, or the newer shorter thread variety? I'm just wondering if the tornado tubes have been updated with the newer thread.

Yeah too bad Masters isn't around anymore as they used to stock PL premium. I managed to get a couple of tubes a few weeks before they closed.

I look forward to your flight reports. :)
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby kitestring » Wed May 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Hey George, new bottles are a shorter thread, but I've used them before but not over 100psi so yeah could be a disaster... only one way to find out. Backyard pressure tests soon..
Pic shows new bottle thread on right. Bottle appears to seal tight against the seal. Seal is approx <3mm thick. I dont have a micrometer sorry. other pics of tornado and seal in place
IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1616.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 211 times

IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG (58.97 KiB) Viewed 211 times

IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG (48.77 KiB) Viewed 211 times

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am

Very impressive work there Jeremy ! :)

Ari
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby kitestring » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 am

october sky wrote:Very impressive work there Jeremy ! :)

Ari

Thanks Ari, simple builds this time as testing a few new things. Looking forward to tossing them in the air on Sunday. See then then. :D

Return to “Water Rocketry”