Rocketry that will literally wet the appetite

Moderator: Moderators

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Diffrerent booster pressure?

Postby kitestring » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:32 am

Hi George
Am in middle of making an non-reinforced rocket with dual boosters. If the main section is running 9mm gardena, with foam and around 90psi, what pressure should i be running in the boosters please? If i can run same pressure, than life is a lot simpler of course. Thanks in advance.
J

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Diffrerent booster pressure?

Postby air.command » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:00 am

kitestring wrote:Hi George
Am in middle of making an non-reinforced rocket with dual boosters. If the main section is running 9mm gardena, with foam and around 90psi, what pressure should i be running in the boosters please? If i can run same pressure, than life is a lot simpler of course. Thanks in advance.
J

What size nozzles are you using for the boosters? If you use the same pressure you need to make sure that the boosters produce more thrust at lift off. This would typically be achieved by using larger nozzles.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby kitestring » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 am

air.command wrote:
kitestring wrote:Hi George
J

What size nozzles are you using for the boosters? If you use the same pressure you need to make sure that the boosters produce more thrust at lift off. This would typically be achieved by using larger nozzles.

Full bore on boosters, with main rocket hopefully holding boosters down on gardena nozzle.
Was thinking of 50psi on boosters and 90-100 on main

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:11 am

If they are full bore then that should be fine. I would pressurise the boosters to the same pressure as the main stage to make things easier if the boosters can hold the pressure. With full bore nozzles on the boosters, it should be a nice fast launch. :D Make sure the booster retaining mechanisms can handle the load applied by the boosters, and also the main stage nozzle can handle the additional combined loading from both boosters.

- George
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby kitestring » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:14 am

air.command wrote:If they are full bore then that should be fine. I would pressurise the boosters to the same pressure as the main stage to make things easier if the boosters can hold the pressure. With full bore nozzles on the boosters, it should be a nice fast launch. :D Make sure the booster retaining mechanisms can handle the load applied by the boosters, and also the main stage nozzle can handle the additional combined loading from both boosters.

- George

Cheers George
There's only one way to find out!!

Return to “Water Rocketry”