Dual boosters - test flight

Rocketry that will literally wet the appetite

Moderator: Moderators

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Dual boosters - test flight

Postby kitestring » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Had fun this morning launching a test water rocket with dual drop away dual boosters.
Forgot a pressure gauge so had to guess on main rocket. Suspect we were only at 60-70psi.. Booster with 20mm nozzles at just 40-50psi by hand pump. Main rocket with 9mm nozzle. No metal components are used at all. Used irrigation tubes and bamboo skewers (with points cut off) to join. Boosters are just single 1.25mm bottles. Tommy timer for deployment on this test.
First launch, boosters failed to separate. Second launch went fine. Back home to do a lot of modifications...
Will launch with much larger main stage next time, foam in main rocket and higher pressures etc. Just happy it worked at all. Sorry about footage but had issues driving cameras, pumping things up and launching at same time.
https://youtu.be/qRpu8BTgmsA

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Dual boosters - test flight

Postby air.command » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi Jeremy, thanks for posting the video. That looked great! Do you know why the boosters failed to separate on the first launch? It seemed unusual that both had the same problem. I'm definitely looking forward to the next launches with the larger main stage. I know what you mean about having to do too many things with the more complex rockets. It's definitely easier having others around to help.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Dual boosters - test flight

Postby kitestring » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:10 am

Hi again George. The mechanism i used to hold the boosters on was too tight, particularly the top holder. While the top one was just a short piece of bamboo skewer through bits of 3mm corflute it was enough to hold the empty bottles on... Also the lack of acceleration/thrust on the first launch may have played a part. Will make a full vid next time with how each part is made as well. Not happy with some decisions, but really trying to make with out metal parts if i can. Will stick with plan till it fails...
cheers Jeremy

Return to “Water Rocketry”